public inbox for cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
* [ATTN maintainers] cocom gnubg nettle parrot rakudo
@ 2015-01-26 17:47 Achim Gratz
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Achim Gratz @ 2015-01-26 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

These are the last packages depending on libgmp3 (on 32bit only).  Could
these either be recompiled or dropped so that the old gmp library can be
removed?  I really don't want to compile it again with gcc-4.9.2 for
just this handful of packages.

Both parrot and rakudo are only available on 32bit and rather old.

The package libppl also depends on libgmp3, but is now obsolete since
the version of gcc using it has been retired.

Another obsolete library is libmpc1 and all the 0.x versions of it.

Could somebody with direct access to sourceware delete the cruft,
please?

Regards,
Achim.

Wavetables for the Terratec KOMPLEXER:

* Re: [ATTN maintainers] cocom gnubg nettle parrot rakudo
@ 2015-01-26 20:44 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2015-01-26 20:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On Jan 26 18:46, Achim Gratz wrote:

> These are the last packages depending on libgmp3 (on 32bit only).  Could
> these either be recompiled or dropped so that the old gmp library can be
> removed?  I really don't want to compile it again with gcc-4.9.2 for
> just this handful of packages.
>
> Both parrot and rakudo are only available on 32bit and rather old.
>
> The package libppl also depends on libgmp3, but is now obsolete since
> the version of gcc using it has been retired.
>
> Another obsolete library is libmpc1 and all the 0.x versions of it.
>
> Could somebody with direct access to sourceware delete the cruft,
> please?

Dunno about the other packages, but cocom is a build requirement for
Cygwin.  We can rebuild it, but not remove it.

Corinna

Red Hat

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 819 bytes --]

* Re: [ATTN maintainers] cocom gnubg nettle parrot rakudo
@ 2015-01-26 20:53 ` Yaakov Selkowitz
From: Yaakov Selkowitz @ 2015-01-26 20:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On Mon, 2015-01-26 at 18:46 +0100, Achim Gratz wrote:
> These are the last packages depending on libgmp3 (on 32bit only).  Could
> these either be recompiled or dropped so that the old gmp library can be
> removed?  I really don't want to compile it again with gcc-4.9.2 for
> just this handful of packages.

cocom is mine, and I have added it to my update queue.

--
Yaakov

* Re: [ATTN maintainers] cocom gnubg nettle parrot rakudo
@ 2015-01-26 21:00 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2015-01-26 21:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On Jan 26 18:46, Achim Gratz wrote:

> These are the last packages depending on libgmp3 (on 32bit only).  Could
> these either be recompiled or dropped so that the old gmp library can be
> removed?  I really don't want to compile it again with gcc-4.9.2 for
> just this handful of packages.
>
> Both parrot and rakudo are only available on 32bit and rather old.

Are these still in use and maintained upstream?  If so, any takers?

If not we're going to remove them.

> The package libppl also depends on libgmp3, but is now obsolete since
> the version of gcc using it has been retired.

Removed.  Btw., do we still need the obsolete ppl-devel?

> Another obsolete library is libmpc1 and all the 0.x versions of it.

Removed.

@ 2015-01-27  6:32   ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2015-01-27  6:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Corinna Vinschen writes:
> Dunno about the other packages, but cocom is a build requirement for
> Cygwin.  We can rebuild it, but not remove it.

The "or dropped" was targeted at rakudo and parrot, as the other
packages have active maintainers.  But if somebody adopts them and also
provides them for 64bit nobody would complain either.  Sorry if that
hasn't been clear.

@ 2015-01-27  6:36   ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2015-01-27  6:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Corinna Vinschen writes:
> Removed.  Btw., do we still need the obsolete ppl-devel?

By now everybody should have switched to libppl-devel via dependency, so
I think this can also go now.

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: [ATTN maintainers] cocom gnubg nettle parrot rakudo
@ 2015-01-27  7:40   ` Marco Atzeri
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2015-01-27  7:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

> On Jan 26 18:46, Achim Gratz wrote:
>>
>> These are the last packages depending on libgmp3 (on 32bit only).  Could
>> these either be recompiled or dropped so that the old gmp library can be
>> removed?  I really don't want to compile it again with gcc-4.9.2 for
>> just this handful of packages.
>>
>> Both parrot and rakudo are only available on 32bit and rather old.
>
> Are these still in use and maintained upstream?  If so, any takers?

Both seem active
http://rakudo.org/  a compiler like for perl
http://www.parrot.org/  is a virtual machine for dynamic languages
   (as perl and ruby )

Not my area

Regards
Marco

* Re: [ATTN maintainers] cocom gnubg nettle parrot rakudo
@ 2015-01-27  8:52     ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2015-01-27  8:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On Jan 27 08:40, Marco Atzeri wrote:
> On 1/26/2015 9:59 PM, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> >On Jan 26 18:46, Achim Gratz wrote:
> >>
> >>These are the last packages depending on libgmp3 (on 32bit only).  Could
> >>these either be recompiled or dropped so that the old gmp library can be
> >>removed?  I really don't want to compile it again with gcc-4.9.2 for
> >>just this handful of packages.
> >>
> >>Both parrot and rakudo are only available on 32bit and rather old.
> >
> >Are these still in use and maintained upstream?  If so, any takers?
>

> Both seem active
> http://rakudo.org/  a compiler like for perl
> http://www.parrot.org/  is a virtual machine for dynamic languages
>   (as perl and ruby )
>

> Not my area

Neither mine.  I guess if Achim doesn't take them, we'll remove them.

From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2015-01-27  8:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps