public inbox for cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
* python 2 check & cleaning
@ 2021-01-18  5:33 Marco Atzeri
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2021-01-18  5:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Hi All,

the current python test packages remove the link python->python2.7
and replace with an alternative appraouch.

Before making the switch, I would like to review the packages that could
be broken, so I looked at all packages, not in "python*-*" form,
that pull one of the "python", "python2" and "python27" using

    $ cygcheck-dep -O -S -q -n python..

as base.

There are almost 200 binary packages
(of the almost 9000 currently present on 64 bit)

The list with source package and maintainer is here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xaPzIZ78JzHtJXcdzB77qJoeNlvVQRJq/view?usp=sharing

I know that Mercurial need rebuild, and I assume the same
for subversion (that I plan to adopt).

Could you please check your packages if they will work with
preferred python3.8 ?

Texlive and fontforge seem the most urgent, IMHO, for a verification.

As python2 is officially dead, a fast switch is nice to have
without braking too many critical packages.

Thanks in advance & Regards
Marco