public inbox for cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
* [ITP] meson, ninja
@ 2017-04-05 10:38 Jon Turney
From: Jon Turney @ 2017-04-05 10:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Meson is an open source build system meant to be extremely fast.  it
generates files for various backends including Ninja, Visual Studio, and
Xcode. Meson does not generate Makefiles, relying solely on Ninja for
Linux and Unix support.

This meson has been patched to teach it about Cygwin.

Ninja is a small build system with a focus on speed.   It is designed to
have its input files generated by a higher-level build system, and it is
designed to run builds as fast as possible.

CMake includes a Ninja generator.

These are in Fedora and Debian.

cygport files:

https://github.com/jon-turney/meson-cygport/blob/master/meson.cygport

https://github.com/jon-turney/ninja-cygport/blob/master/ninja.cygport

package files:

http://www.dronecode.org.uk/cygwin/noarch/release/meson/

http://www.dronecode.org.uk/cygwin/x86/release/ninja/
http://www.dronecode.org.uk/cygwin/x86_64/release/ninja/

You may find "wget -r -np -nH -R'index*'" convenient for retrieving
these files.

license:

Apache License, version 2

* Re: [ITP] meson, ninja
@ 2017-04-05 21:13 ` Marco Atzeri
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2017-04-05 21:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On 05/04/2017 12:38, Jon Turney wrote:

> Meson is an open source build system meant to be extremely fast.  it
> generates files for various backends including Ninja, Visual Studio, and
> Xcode. Meson does not generate Makefiles, relying solely on Ninja for
> Linux and Unix support.
>
> This meson has been patched to teach it about Cygwin.
>
> Ninja is a small build system with a focus on speed.   It is designed to
> have its input files generated by a higher-level build system, and it is
> designed to run builds as fast as possible.
>
> CMake includes a Ninja generator.
>
> These are in Fedora and Debian.

Both build fine.
Ninja pass all tests, meson has no test.

GTG from my side

Regards
Marco

* Re: [ITP] meson, ninja
@ 2017-04-05 23:04   ` Jon Turney
From: Jon Turney @ 2017-04-05 23:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On 05/04/2017 22:12, Marco Atzeri wrote:
> On 05/04/2017 12:38, Jon Turney wrote:
>>
>> Meson is an open source build system meant to be extremely fast.  it
>> generates files for various backends including Ninja, Visual Studio, and
>> Xcode. Meson does not generate Makefiles, relying solely on Ninja for
>> Linux and Unix support.
>>
>> This meson has been patched to teach it about Cygwin.
>>
>> Ninja is a small build system with a focus on speed.   It is designed to
>> have its input files generated by a higher-level build system, and it is
>> designed to run builds as fast as possible.
>>
>> CMake includes a Ninja generator.
>>
>> These are in Fedora and Debian.
>>

> Both build fine.
> Ninja pass all tests, meson has no test.

meson also has tests but I forgot to wire them up.  I'll fix that.

> GTG from my side

Thanks.