public inbox for cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
* Re: curl calm issue
       [not found] <160678137911.641109.8028997546055063113@server2.sourceware.org>
@ 2020-12-01  1:06 ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2020-12-01  1:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On 2020-11-30 17:09, cygwin-apps@cygwin.com wrote:
> WARNING: homepage:https://curl.haxx.se/ permanently redirects to https://curl.se/
> ERROR: install packages from source package 'curl' have non-unique current versions 7.73.0-1 (curl-debuginfo), 7.73.0-2 (3 others)
> ERROR: error while validating merged x86_64 packages for Brian Inglis
> SUMMARY: 1 WARNING(s), 2 ERROR(s)

The issue is that previous releases were always generated with debuginfo, but
the latest release also changes debug behaviour to strictly check SSL protocol,
causing execution issues with users and downstreams.

I would like to generate the updated release without the behaviour change and
that appears to also eliminate debuginfo generation.

If I need to generate release -2 without debuginfo, how do I avoid this issue?

Alternatively, could I use separate cygport files to generate the lib and bin
subpackages without debuginfo, and the devel package with debuginfo and the
strict SSL protocol check, and how would that work with calm?

* Re: curl calm issue
@ 2020-12-01  6:02   ` ASSI
From: ASSI @ 2020-12-01  6:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Brian Inglis writes:
> The issue is that previous releases were always generated with
> debuginfo, but the latest release also changes debug behaviour to
> strictly check SSL protocol, causing execution issues with users and
> downstreams.

I read upstreams response that this will become the default behaviour
anyway, so I'd not spend any effort on working around this issue unless
you are fairly certain that youi can convince them otherwise.

> I would like to generate the updated release without the behaviour
> change and that appears to also eliminate debuginfo generation.

Then you need to patch out the corrsponding change.  I have not looked
if they lumped it into another define (which would be more difficult) or
if just the configury does an extra define for this error checking (just
undefine it).

> If I need to generate release -2 without debuginfo, how do I avoid
> this issue?

Again, don't.

> Alternatively, could I use separate cygport files to generate the lib
> and bin subpackages without debuginfo, and the devel package with
> debuginfo and the strict SSL protocol check, and how would that work
> with calm?

Please not and no, that sort of nonsense isn't supported by setup anyway.

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: curl calm issue
@ 2020-12-01 15:34   ` Jon Turney
From: Jon Turney @ 2020-12-01 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps, Brian Inglis

On 01/12/2020 01:06, Brian Inglis wrote:
> On 2020-11-30 17:09, cygwin-apps-rDBXBDvO6BXQT0dZR+AlfA@public.gmane.org
> wrote:
>> WARNING: homepage:https://curl.haxx.se/ permanently redirects to
>> https://curl.se/
>> ERROR: install packages from source package 'curl' have non-unique
>> current versions 7.73.0-1 (curl-debuginfo), 7.73.0-2 (3 others)
>> ERROR: error while validating merged x86_64 packages for Brian Inglis
>> SUMMARY: 1 WARNING(s), 2 ERROR(s)

I've added an exception for this package, and set the upload to be retried.

> The issue is that previous releases were always generated with
> debuginfo, but the latest release also changes debug behaviour to
> strictly check SSL protocol, causing execution issues with users and
> downstreams.
>
> I would like to generate the updated release without the behaviour
> change and that appears to also eliminate debuginfo generation.
>
> If I need to generate release -2 without debuginfo, how do I avoid this
> issue?

Alternatively, you could have added lines to the .cygport to explicitly
create an empty curl-debuginfo package (or make it obsolete, but that
seems contraindicated if the package is coming back in future versions).

* Re: curl calm issue
@ 2020-12-01 16:26     ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2020-12-01 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On 2020-12-01 08:34, Jon Turney wrote:
> On 01/12/2020 01:06, Brian Inglis wrote:
>> On 2020-11-30 17:09, cygwin-apps-rDBXBDvO6BXQT0dZR+AlfA@public.gmane.org wrote:
>>> WARNING: homepage:https://curl.haxx.se/ permanently redirects to
>>> https://curl.se/
>>> ERROR: install packages from source package 'curl' have non-unique current
>>> versions 7.73.0-1 (curl-debuginfo), 7.73.0-2 (3 others)
>>> ERROR: error while validating merged x86_64 packages for Brian Inglis
>>> SUMMARY: 1 WARNING(s), 2 ERROR(s)
>
> I've added an exception for this package, and set the upload to be retried.

Thanks Jon

I will leave debug enabled in the mingw packages as they are devel, so please
ignore those release 2, I will leave them at release 1.

>> The issue is that previous releases were always generated with debuginfo,
>> but the latest release also changes debug behaviour to strictly check SSL
>> protocol, causing execution issues with users and downstreams. >>
>> I would like to generate the updated release without the behaviour change
>> and that appears to also eliminate debuginfo generation. >>
>> If I need to generate release -2 without debuginfo, how do I avoid this
>> issue? >
> Alternatively, you could have added lines to the .cygport to explicitly
> create an empty curl-debuginfo package (or make it obsolete, but that seems
> contraindicated if the package is coming back in future versions).
Achim seems to think in another reply that I would be better just leaving the
package as it was, as that will be future upstream behaviour, which was why I
was asking the questions.

So I could:

* leave the new release as is, with previous behaviour but without debuginfo,
which may make it difficult for library developers;
* create a newer release the same as release 1 with the new behaviour and
debuginfo;
* create a newer release to patch out the new behaviour which will become
default in future, just for this release, and otherwise generate a debug release
similar to release 1;
* roll back release 2?

Alternate opinions from or agreement with Achim's?