public inbox for cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
* grep rebuild?
@ 2023-03-16 12:08 Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2023-03-16 12:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brian Inglis, cygwin-apps

Hi Brian,

there's a problem with the grep package.  It uses the internally
provided GNULIB regex library.

Unfortunately, that's the default if the system doesn't provide a more
recent GLibc.  Which we'll never do.  The problem is this: Native
language support in GNULIB's regex is *only* available, if it's built as
part of GLibc.

I'd like to ask you to rebuild grep 3.9 with the
--without-included-regex option.

That will allow grep to use Cygwin's own regex, which already comes with
basic native language support, and which I'm working on to sbetter
support equivalence class and collation symbol expressions.

Thanks,
Corinna