public inbox for cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
* [ITP] ncdu 1.1
@ 2007-06-12 19:05 Christian Franke
                   ` (4 more replies)
From: Christian Franke @ 2007-06-12 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

ncdu is a ncurses-based disk usage viewer. It provides a fast and
easy-to-use interface through 'du' utility. It allows to browse through
the directories and show percentages of disk usage.
(http://dev.yorhel.nl/ncdu/)

http://franke.dvrdns.org/cygwin/release/ncdu/ncdu-1.1-1.tar.bz2
http://franke.dvrdns.org/cygwin/release/ncdu/ncdu-1.1-1-src.tar.bz2
http://franke.dvrdns.org/cygwin/release/ncdu/setup.hint

Debian: http://packages.debian.org/testing/admin/ncdu
Gentoo: http://packages.gentoo.org/search/?sstring=ncdu

Christian

* Re: [ITP] ncdu 1.1
@ 2007-06-13  6:03 ` Corinna Vinschen
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2007-06-13  6:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On Jun 12 21:05, Christian Franke wrote:
> ncdu is a ncurses-based disk usage viewer. It provides a fast and
> easy-to-use interface through 'du' utility. It allows to browse through
> the directories and show percentages of disk usage.
> (http://dev.yorhel.nl/ncdu/)
>
> http://franke.dvrdns.org/cygwin/release/ncdu/ncdu-1.1-1.tar.bz2
> http://franke.dvrdns.org/cygwin/release/ncdu/ncdu-1.1-1-src.tar.bz2
> http://franke.dvrdns.org/cygwin/release/ncdu/setup.hint

It would be nice to get the setup.hint content pasted to your ITP, too.

> Debian: http://packages.debian.org/testing/admin/ncdu
> Gentoo: http://packages.gentoo.org/search/?sstring=ncdu

We once said that Debian testing doesn't really mean that a package
is in a Linux distribution.  And Gentoo catches every package which
isn't quick enough on a tree.  Any *stable* distro which comes with
ncdu?  Otherwise you need 5 votes.

Packaging looks good, one vote from me.

Corinna

Red Hat

* RE: [ITP] ncdu 1.1
@ 2007-06-13  9:33 ` Dave Korn
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Dave Korn @ 2007-06-13  9:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin-apps'

On 12 June 2007 20:06, Christian Franke wrote:

> ncdu is a ncurses-based disk usage viewer. It provides a fast and
> easy-to-use interface through 'du' utility. It allows to browse through
> the directories and show percentages of disk usage.
> (http://dev.yorhel.nl/ncdu/)
>
> http://franke.dvrdns.org/cygwin/release/ncdu/ncdu-1.1-1.tar.bz2

  Packaging looks good to me.

> http://franke.dvrdns.org/cygwin/release/ncdu/ncdu-1.1-1-src.tar.bz2

  Doesn't build from source: prep gives a warning.

/tmp/ncdu $ cygport ./ncdu-1.1-1.cygport prep
>>> Preparing ncdu-1.1-1
*** Info: CYGPORT SCRIPT signature missing.
*** Info: CYGWIN PATCH signature missing.
>>> Unpacking source ncdu-1.1.tar.gz
>>> Preparing working source directory
*** Info: applying patch ncdu-1.1-1.cygwin.patch:
patching file src/ncdu-1.1/CYGWIN-PATCHES/README
patching file src/ncdu-1.1/CYGWIN-PATCHES/setup.hint
*** Info: patch ncdu-1.1-1.src.patch not found

but everything else worked ok.

> http://franke.dvrdns.org/cygwin/release/ncdu/setup.hint

  Looks good to me.  +1.

    cheers,
      DaveK

* Re: [ITP] ncdu 1.1
@ 2007-06-13 16:54   ` Christian Franke
From: Christian Franke @ 2007-06-13 16:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> ... Any *stable* distro which comes with
> ncdu?

Probably none.
ncdu 0.1 was released less than 4 month ago.
(http://dev.yorhel.nl/ncdu/changes/)

> Otherwise you need 5 votes.
>
> Packaging looks good, one vote from me.

Thanks,

Christian

* Re: [ITP] ncdu 1.1
@ 2007-06-14 15:38 ` Dr. Volker Zell
From: Dr. Volker Zell @ 2007-06-14 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

    > ncdu is a ncurses-based disk usage viewer. It provides a fast and
    > easy-to-use interface through 'du' utility. It allows to browse
    > through the directories and show percentages of disk
    > usage. (http://dev.yorhel.nl/ncdu/)

+1

Ciao
  Volker

* RE: [ITP] ncdu 1.1
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2007-06-14 17:30 ` DePriest, Jason R.
From: DePriest, Jason R. @ 2007-06-14 17:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
> ncdu is a ncurses-based disk usage viewer. It provides a fast and
> easy-to-use interface through 'du' utility. It allows to browse
through
> the directories and show percentages of disk usage.
> (http://dev.yorhel.nl/ncdu/)
>
> http://franke.dvrdns.org/cygwin/release/ncdu/ncdu-1.1-1.tar.bz2
> http://franke.dvrdns.org/cygwin/release/ncdu/ncdu-1.1-1-src.tar.bz2
> http://franke.dvrdns.org/cygwin/release/ncdu/setup.hint
>

> Debian: http://packages.debian.org/testing/admin/ncdu
> Gentoo: http://packages.gentoo.org/search/?sstring=ncdu
>
> Christian

Incidentally, I downloaded the source from the
http://dev.yorhel.nl/ncdu/ and it compiled flawlessly under Cygwin.

I ran it and had it start at the root folder, "/".

I anticipated it taking a very long time to finish, but not hours.  I
let it run for around four hours during which my processor stayed > 90%
usage, even with On-access virus scanning disabled.

During which time is dug through all of my mapped network drives, my
entire local hard drive, and the Windows registry via /proc/registry.

It bombed out sometime during the scan of /proc/registry, but I can't be
sure exactly where.  The display was still there, but it had dropped to
a command-line underneath.  The path was cut off due to the size of the
display box.

So, caveat emptor.

-Jason

PS - I apologize in advance for the legal disclaimer at the bottom of my
email message.  This is tacked on by our SMTP gateway and I have no
control over it.  I have a gmail account that I use for my other cygwin
subscriptions, but for some reason, never remembered to switch this one
over.

Confidentiality notice:
This e-mail message, including any attachments, may contain legally privileged and/or confidential
information. If you are not the intended recipient(s), or the employee or agent responsible for delivery
of this message to the intended recipient(s), you are hereby notified that any dissemination,
distribution, or copying of this e-mail message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message
in error, please immediately notify the sender and delete this e-mail message from your computer.

* Re: [ITP] ncdu 1.1
@ 2007-06-15  5:59   ` Christian Franke
From: Christian Franke @ 2007-06-15  5:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

DePriest, Jason R. wrote:
> Incidentally, I downloaded the source from the
> http://dev.yorhel.nl/ncdu/ and it compiled flawlessly under Cygwin.
>
> I ran it and had it start at the root folder, "/".
>
> I anticipated it taking a very long time to finish, but not hours.  I
> let it run for around four hours during which my processor stayed > 90%
> usage, even with On-access virus scanning disabled.
>
> During which time is dug through all of my mapped network drives, my
> entire local hard drive, and the Windows registry via /proc/registry.

Confirmed.
Actually ncdu does not handle the special case "/" and calls e.g.
lstat("//bin",.).
This is OK on Linux & friends, but specifies an UNC path on Cygwin.
(I don't know whether POSIX specifies the behaviour on duplicate slashes).
ncdu also does not handle the error returned by lstat() in this case.

I will provide a fixed package and send the patch upstream.

> It bombed out sometime during the scan of /proc/registry, but I can't be
> sure exactly where.  The display was still there, but it had dropped to
> a command-line underneath.  The path was cut off due to the size of the
> display box.

Could not reproduce this.

Thanks for the info.

Christian

* Re: [ITP] ncdu 1.1
@ 2007-06-15  6:46     ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2007-06-15  6:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On Jun 15 07:59, Christian Franke wrote:
> DePriest, Jason R. wrote:
> >Incidentally, I downloaded the source from the
> >http://dev.yorhel.nl/ncdu/ and it compiled flawlessly under Cygwin.
> >
> >I ran it and had it start at the root folder, "/".
> >
> >I anticipated it taking a very long time to finish, but not hours.  I
> >let it run for around four hours during which my processor stayed > 90%
> >usage, even with On-access virus scanning disabled.
> >
> >During which time is dug through all of my mapped network drives, my
> >entire local hard drive, and the Windows registry via /proc/registry.
> >

> Confirmed.
> Actually ncdu does not handle the special case "/" and calls e.g.
> lstat("//bin",.).
> This is OK on Linux & friends, but specifies an UNC path on Cygwin.
> (I don't know whether POSIX specifies the behaviour on duplicate slashes).
> ncdu also does not handle the error returned by lstat() in this case.

POSIX allows double slashes having an implementation-defined meaning.
See SUSv3, chapter 4.11 Pathname Resolution:
http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/009695399/basedefs/xbd_chap04.html#tag_04_11
especially the last paragraph.  So NCDU is behaving non-portable in
this case (as a lot of other applications, too, unfortunately).

Corinna

Red Hat

* RE: [ITP] ncdu 1.1
@ 2007-06-15 17:48     ` DePriest, Jason R.
From: DePriest, Jason R. @ 2007-06-15 17:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
> > Incidentally, I downloaded the source from the
> > http://dev.yorhel.nl/ncdu/ and it compiled flawlessly under Cygwin.
> >
> > I ran it and had it start at the root folder, "/".
> >
> > I anticipated it taking a very long time to finish, but not hours.  I
> > let it run for around four hours during which my processor stayed > 90%
> > usage, even with On-access virus scanning disabled.
> >
> > During which time is dug through all of my mapped network drives, my
> > entire local hard drive, and the Windows registry via /proc/registry.
> >

> Confirmed.
> Actually ncdu does not handle the special case "/" and calls e.g.
> lstat("//bin",.).
> This is OK on Linux & friends, but specifies an UNC path on Cygwin.
> (I don't know whether POSIX specifies the behaviour on duplicate slashes).
> ncdu also does not handle the error returned by lstat() in this case.
>
> I will provide a fixed package and send the patch upstream.
>
> > It bombed out sometime during the scan of /proc/registry, but I can't be
> > sure exactly where.  The display was still there, but it had dropped to
> > a command-line underneath.  The path was cut off due to the size of the
> > display box.
> >

> Could not reproduce this.
>
> Thanks for the info.
>
> Christian

I did 'ncdu /proc/registry' and about two hours later, I found it like this, with my bash prompt underneath.
I didn't cut / paste the box because it would just turn into a bunch of Ä and such.
I did recreate it with - and | just to give you an idea of what it looked like.

---Calculating...-------------------------------------------
| Total files: 467122   dirs: 222594   size:   0.0 B       |
| Current dir: /proc/registry/HKE.../0/0/0/0/8/4/0/0/0/0/4 |
| Warning: could not open /proc/registr...curity/templates |
|  some directory sizes may not be correct                 |
|  Calc                                    Press q to quitHangup

-Jason

Confidentiality notice:
This e-mail message, including any attachments, may contain legally privileged and/or confidential
information. If you are not the intended recipient(s), or the employee or agent responsible for delivery
of this message to the intended recipient(s), you are hereby notified that any dissemination,
distribution, or copying of this e-mail message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message
in error, please immediately notify the sender and delete this e-mail message from your computer.

* Re: [ITP] ncdu 1.1
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2007-06-15 21:17 ` Reini Urban
From: Reini Urban @ 2007-06-15 21:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

+1 from me

* Re: [ITP] ncdu 1.1
@ 2007-06-16 19:29       ` Christian Franke
From: Christian Franke @ 2007-06-16 19:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

DePriest, Jason R. wrote:
> I did 'ncdu /proc/registry' and about two hours later, I found it like this, with my bash prompt underneath.
> I didn't cut / paste the box because it would just turn into a bunch of Ä and such.
> I did recreate it with - and | just to give you an idea of what it looked like.
>
> ---Calculating...-------------------------------------------
> |                                                          |
> | Total files: 467122   dirs: 222594   size:   0.0 B       |
> | Current dir: /proc/registry/HKE.../0/0/0/0/8/4/0/0/0/0/4 |
> |                                                          |
> | Warning: could not open /proc/registr...curity/templates |
> |  some directory sizes may not be correct                 |
> |                                                          |
> |  Calc                                    Press q to quitHangup

This is a buffer overflow issue.

ncdu uses PATH_MAX as path buffer size but does not properly check for
overflow.

PATH_MAX is 4096 on Linux, but only 260 on Cygwin.
Pathnames from /proc/registry may be much longer.
(e.g. keys below HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\DeviceClasses)

Christian

* Re: [ITP] ncdu 1.1
@ 2007-06-17 14:43         ` Christian Franke
From: Christian Franke @ 2007-06-17 14:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

A fixed version is now available:

http://franke.dvrdns.org/cygwin/release/ncdu/ncdu-1.1-1.tar.bz2
http://franke.dvrdns.org/cygwin/release/ncdu/ncdu-1.1-1-src.tar.bz2
http://franke.dvrdns.org/cygwin/release/ncdu/setup.hint

Duplicate "/", lstat() error handling and PATH_MAX overflow are fixed.
PATH_MAX is increased to 1024 for /proc/registry.

setup.hint is unchanged:

sdesc: "NCurses Disk Usage"
ldesc: "ncdu is a curses-based version of the well-known 'du',
and provides a fast way to see what directories are using your
disk space."
category: Utils
requires: cygwin libncurses8

Christian

* RE: [ITP] ncdu 1.1
@ 2007-06-17 15:01           ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2007-06-17 15:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On 17 June 2007 15:43, Christian Franke wrote:

> A fixed version is now available:

  I had these warnings during the cygport install and package stages of the
source build, respectively:

*** Warning: Cygwin README is missing

*** Warning: setup.hint is missing

  But the generated packages looked ok.  Like I said before, +1.

    cheers,
      DaveK

* Re: [ITP] ncdu 1.1
@ 2007-06-17 17:08             ` Christian Franke
From: Christian Franke @ 2007-06-17 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Dave Korn wrote:
> On 17 June 2007 15:43, Christian Franke wrote:
>

>> A fixed version is now available:
>>

>   I had these warnings during the cygport install and package stages of the
> source build, respectively:
>
> *** Warning: Cygwin README is missing
>
> *** Warning: setup.hint is missing

Could not reproduce. The -src package contains a .cygwin.patch with both
README and setup.hint.

@ 2007-06-18  7:17               ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2007-06-18  7:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On Jun 17 19:08, Christian Franke wrote:
> Dave Korn wrote:
> >  But the generated packages looked ok.  Like I said before, +1.
> >
> Thanks,

We have four votes from Dave, Reini, Volker and me.  One is still
missing.

Corinna

Red Hat

* Re: [ITP] ncdu 1.1
@ 2007-06-21  1:41                 ` Eric Blake
From: Eric Blake @ 2007-06-21  1:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

* Re: [ITP] ncdu 1.1
@ 2007-06-21  5:24                   ` Christian Franke
From: Christian Franke @ 2007-06-21  5:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Eric Blake wrote:
> According to Corinna Vinschen on 6/18/2007 1:17 AM:

>>> Thanks,
>>>
>> We have four votes from Dave, Reini, Volker and me.  One is still
>> missing.
>>

> I'll join the fray, since I maintain the underlying du.
>
> +1.  Do we have a package ready for upload?

Thanks. Yes:

http://franke.dvrdns.org/cygwin/release/ncdu/ncdu-1.1-1.tar.bz2
http://franke.dvrdns.org/cygwin/release/ncdu/ncdu-1.1-1-src.tar.bz2
http://franke.dvrdns.org/cygwin/release/ncdu/setup.hint

The current version from 2007-06-17 fixes the double slash and buffer
overflow issues reported.

Christian

* Re: [ITP] ncdu 1.1
@ 2007-06-21  6:53                     ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2007-06-21  6:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On Jun 21 07:24, Christian Franke wrote:
> http://franke.dvrdns.org/cygwin/release/ncdu/ncdu-1.1-1.tar.bz2
> http://franke.dvrdns.org/cygwin/release/ncdu/ncdu-1.1-1-src.tar.bz2
> http://franke.dvrdns.org/cygwin/release/ncdu/setup.hint

Uploaded.

Thanks,
Corinna

Red Hat

* Re: [ITP] ncdu 1.1
@ 2007-06-21 12:06                     ` Eric Blake
From: Eric Blake @ 2007-06-21 12:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

* RE: [ITP] ncdu 1.1
@ 2007-06-21 12:23                       ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2007-06-21 12:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On 21 June 2007 13:08, Eric Blake wrote:

> According to Christian Franke on 6/20/2007 11:24 PM:
>>
>> Thanks. Yes:
>>
>> http://franke.dvrdns.org/cygwin/release/ncdu/ncdu-1.1-1.tar.bz2
>> http://franke.dvrdns.org/cygwin/release/ncdu/ncdu-1.1-1-src.tar.bz2
>> http://franke.dvrdns.org/cygwin/release/ncdu/setup.hint
>
> I tried uploading, but:
>
> Resolving franke.dvrdns.org... 88.198.15.9
> Connecting to franke.dvrdns.org|88.198.15.9|:80... connected.
> HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 404 Not Found

  Christian may well have taken them down after Corinna uploaded them 5 hours
ago...

    cheers,
      DaveK

* Re: [ITP] ncdu 1.1
@ 2007-06-21 13:15                         ` Eric Blake
From: Eric Blake @ 2007-06-21 13:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

* Re: [ITP] ncdu 1.1
@ 2007-06-13  6:29 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2007-06-13  6:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On Jun 13 08:22, J?rg Schaible wrote:
> Corinna Vinschen wrote on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 8:03 AM:
>
> > On Jun 12 21:05, Christian Franke wrote:
> >> (http://dev.yorhel.nl/ncdu/)
> >> [...]
> >> Debian: http://packages.debian.org/testing/admin/ncdu
> >> Gentoo: http://packages.gentoo.org/search/?sstring=ncdu
> >
> > We once said that Debian testing doesn't really mean that a package
> > is in a Linux distribution.  And Gentoo catches every package which
> > isn't quick enough on a tree.  Any *stable* distro which comes with
> > ncdu?  Otherwise you need 5 votes.
>
> Gentoo is quite conservative with "stable" packages. And the link demonstrates that this package is also available only as package to test on one arch for Gentoo.

Do you vote?  4 are missing so far.

Corinna

Red Hat

* RE: [ITP] ncdu 1.1
@ 2007-06-13  6:22 Jörg Schaible
From: Jörg Schaible @ 2007-06-13  6:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Corinna Vinschen wrote on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 8:03 AM:

> On Jun 12 21:05, Christian Franke wrote:
>> ncdu is a ncurses-based disk usage viewer. It provides a fast and
>> easy-to-use interface through 'du' utility. It allows to browse
>> through the directories and show percentages of disk usage.
>> (http://dev.yorhel.nl/ncdu/)
>>
>> http://franke.dvrdns.org/cygwin/release/ncdu/ncdu-1.1-1.tar.bz2
>> http://franke.dvrdns.org/cygwin/release/ncdu/ncdu-1.1-1-src.tar.bz2
>> http://franke.dvrdns.org/cygwin/release/ncdu/setup.hint
>
> It would be nice to get the setup.hint content pasted to your
> ITP, too.
>
>> Debian: http://packages.debian.org/testing/admin/ncdu
>> Gentoo: http://packages.gentoo.org/search/?sstring=ncdu
>
> We once said that Debian testing doesn't really mean that a package
> is in a Linux distribution.  And Gentoo catches every package which
> isn't quick enough on a tree.  Any *stable* distro which comes with
> ncdu?  Otherwise you need 5 votes.

Gentoo is quite conservative with "stable" packages. And the link demonstrates that this package is also available only as package to test on one arch for Gentoo.

- Jörg