public inbox for cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
* Obsolete dependency report, 2015-Mar-19
@ 2015-03-19 17:25 Yaakov Selkowitz
From: Yaakov Selkowitz @ 2015-03-19 17:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

We made really good progress last month, but we still have a few
officially orphaned or possibly unmaintained packages blocking us from
removing a bunch more obsolete dependencies.  There is also a new
obsolete dependency (libgcrypt11) which added a few packages to this
list.

amanda                                       Mark O’Keefe
brltty                                       ORPHANED (Samuel Thibault)
gnugo                                        ORPHANED (Teun Burgers)
gq                                           Dr. Volker Zell
grub                                         ORPHANED (Christian Franke)
libAfterImage                                ORPHANED (Charles Wilson)
libggi2                                      Peter Rosin
lilypond                                     ORPHANED (Jan Nieuwenhuizen)
ngspice                                      Marco Atzeri
nmh                                          David Levine
octave                                       Marco Atzeri
octave-communications                        Marco Atzeri
opencdk                                      Dr. Volker Zell
R                                            Marco Atzeri
readpst                                      Jari Aalto
singular-surf                                Yue Ren (Frank Seelisch)
sng                                          Andrew Schulman
suite3270                                    Peter A. Castro
tcsh                                         Corinna Vinschen
texlive                                      Ken Brown
tin                                          Corinna Vinschen
weechat                                      Sebastien Helleu
zsh                                          Peter A. Castro

Notes:
lilypond: https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2015-02/msg00653.html
sng: https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2015-02/msg00152.html

The master list is kept at:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1eiQ0Mcp588cVVt5LaYXQG5i_HznVF14k50j_pneGT68/edit?usp=sharing

This page is set for moderated changes, so feel free to strikethrough
your package from the list once its uploaded.  (Thanks Marco for
pointing that out last month.)

--
Yaakov

* Re: Obsolete dependency report, 2015-Mar-19
@ 2015-03-19 22:15 ` Marco Atzeri
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2015-03-19 22:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On 3/19/2015 6:25 PM, Yaakov Selkowitz wrote:
> We made really good progress last month, but we still have a few
> officially orphaned or possibly unmaintained packages blocking us from
> removing a bunch more obsolete dependencies.  There is also a new
> obsolete dependency (libgcrypt11) which added a few packages to this
> list.
>
> amanda                                       Mark O’Keefe
> brltty                                       ORPHANED (Samuel Thibault)
> gnugo                                        ORPHANED (Teun Burgers)
> gq                                           Dr. Volker Zell
> grub                                         ORPHANED (Christian Franke)
> libAfterImage                                ORPHANED (Charles Wilson)
> libggi2                                      Peter Rosin
> lilypond                                     ORPHANED (Jan Nieuwenhuizen)
> ngspice                                      Marco Atzeri
> nmh                                          David Levine
> octave                                       Marco Atzeri
> octave-communications                        Marco Atzeri
> opencdk                                      Dr. Volker Zell
> R                                            Marco Atzeri
> readpst                                      Jari Aalto
> singular-surf                                Yue Ren (Frank Seelisch)
> sng                                          Andrew Schulman
> suite3270                                    Peter A. Castro
> tcsh                                         Corinna Vinschen
> texlive                                      Ken Brown
> tin                                          Corinna Vinschen
> weechat                                      Sebastien Helleu
> zsh                                          Peter A. Castro
>
> Notes:
> lilypond: https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2015-02/msg00653.html
> sng: https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2015-02/msg00152.html

R was just updated upstream
Octave is in Release Candidate state
ngspice should be updated upstream shortly

I will update accordingly, later on. I am currently travelling.

Yue is working on singular, but on top of his short time
out of University requirements, he need to pack
other 5 new math libs. I am helping him on the matter.

I will look on lylipond after guile.
I built latest guile but make check fails on some modules,
and I need to investigate.

@ 2015-03-19 23:14   ` Yaakov Selkowitz
From: Yaakov Selkowitz @ 2015-03-19 23:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On Thu, 2015-03-19 at 23:15 +0100, Marco Atzeri wrote:
> R was just updated upstream
> Octave is in Release Candidate state
> ngspice should be updated upstream shortly
>
> I will update accordingly, later on. I am currently travelling.

If the new versions aren't ready yet when you have time to do so, would
you be able to just rebuild the current versions?

> Yue is working on singular, but on top of his short time
> out of University requirements, he need to pack
> other 5 new math libs. I am helping him on the matter.

Thanks for your help on this too.

> I will look on lylipond after guile.
> I built latest guile but make check fails on some modules,
> and I need to investigate.

By "latest guile" do you mean 2.0.x?  We'll need to work out a way to
have both 1.8 and 2.0 in the distro for a while, as not all
guile-dependent packages have been ported yet to the latter.  Let's
discuss this further when you're ready.

--

@ 2015-03-25 14:42     ` Marco Atzeri
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2015-03-25 14:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On 3/20/2015 12:14 AM, Yaakov Selkowitz wrote:
> On Thu, 2015-03-19 at 23:15 +0100, Marco Atzeri wrote:

>> I will look on lylipond after guile.
>> I built latest guile but make check fails on some modules,
>> and I need to investigate.
>
> By "latest guile" do you mean 2.0.x?  We'll need to work out a way to
> have both 1.8 and 2.0 in the distro for a while, as not all
> guile-dependent packages have been ported yet to the latter.  Let's
> discuss this further when you're ready.

Noted.
I am currently testing 2.0.11 but ffi test is failing

@ 2015-03-26 20:51 ` Peter Rosin
From: Peter Rosin @ 2015-03-26 20:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On 2015-03-19 18:25, Yaakov Selkowitz wrote:
> libggi2                                      Peter Rosin

Sorry for the delay. I have finally found some time to do this.
I fell in love with the cygport upload feature, btw.

Cheers,
Peter

* guile 2.0 [was: Obsolete dependency report, 2015-Mar-19]
@ 2015-06-08  9:44     ` Yaakov Selkowitz
From: Yaakov Selkowitz @ 2015-06-08  9:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On Thu, 2015-03-25 at 15:42 +0100, Marco Atzeri wrote:
> On Thu, 2015-03-19 at 18:14 -0500, Yaakov Selkowitz wrote:
> > On Thu, 2015-03-19 at 23:15 +0100, Marco Atzeri wrote:
> > > I built latest guile but make check fails on some modules,
> > > and I need to investigate.
> >
> > By "latest guile" do you mean 2.0.x?  We'll need to work out a way to
> > have both 1.8 and 2.0 in the distro for a while, as not all
> > guile-dependent packages have been ported yet to the latter.  Let's
> > discuss this further when you're ready.
> >
> Noted.
> I am currently testing 2.0.11 but ffi test is failing

False alarm.  The test is trying to load strerror(3) from the guile
process itself; that doesn't work on Cygwin because our dlsym(3) does
not resolve symbols in dependent DLLs (contrary to POSIX IIUC).

--
Yaakov

* Re: guile 2.0 [was: Obsolete dependency report, 2015-Mar-19]
@ 2015-06-08 11:26       ` Marco Atzeri
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2015-06-08 11:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On 6/8/2015 11:43 AM, Yaakov Selkowitz wrote:
> On Thu, 2015-03-25 at 15:42 +0100, Marco Atzeri wrote:
>>>
>>> By "latest guile" do you mean 2.0.x?  We'll need to work out a way to
>>> have both 1.8 and 2.0 in the distro for a while, as not all
>>> guile-dependent packages have been ported yet to the latter.  Let's
>>> discuss this further when you're ready.
>>>
>> Noted.
>> I am currently testing 2.0.11 but ffi test is failing
>
> False alarm.  The test is trying to load strerror(3) from the guile
> process itself; that doesn't work on Cygwin because our dlsym(3) does
> not resolve symbols in dependent DLLs (contrary to POSIX IIUC).
>
> --
> Yaakov

noted.
After octave rebuild I will package it.
Any preference of the header location ?

Also 1.8.8 need a rebuild as some dll's are in
/usr/lib instead of /usr/bin

* Re: guile 2.0 [was: Obsolete dependency report, 2015-Mar-19]
@ 2015-06-09  0:47         ` Yaakov Selkowitz
From: Yaakov Selkowitz @ 2015-06-09  0:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On Mon, 2015-06-08 at 13:26 +0200, Marco Atzeri wrote:
> noted.
> After octave rebuild I will package it.
> Any preference of the header location ?

The default should suffice for 2.0.

> Also 1.8.8 need a rebuild as some dll's are in
> /usr/lib instead of /usr/bin

1.8.8-1 was mine, and those DLLs are actually modules and therefore
actually belong in libdir, and the .la files are needed, and in the
runtime package, because guile uses libltdl.

Based on my previous packaging of guile-1.8.8 and an experimental 2.0,
here is what I had in mind:

https://sourceforge.net/p/cygwin-ports/guile/ci/master/tree/
https://sourceforge.net/p/cygwin-ports/guile1.8/ci/master/tree/

--