public inbox for cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
* network installation problems (again)
@ 2015-12-18 16:09 Thomas Wolff
From: Thomas Wolff @ 2015-12-18 16:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Hi,
I am again having problems to install cygwin on a network drive. It's in
the same network I had similar problems before:
http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2009-11/msg00034.html
which were then resolved after a while.
The client machines are now new, running Windows 7. Domain server is the
old one.
My description log of actions and popup errors is attached below. There
was no way to install on the network. I could install to the C: drive
and move that over to the network where it would then run.

Kind regards,
Thomas

setup has not remembered the download server since previous failed attempt

While
Installing
_autorebase-001002-1
/etc/

---------------------------
File extraction error
---------------------------
Unable to extract /etc/ -- corrupt package?

---------------------------
OK
---------------------------

Clicking OK, while
Installing
_autorebase-001002-1
/etc/postinstall/

---------------------------
File extraction error
---------------------------
Unable to extract /etc/postinstall/ -- corrupt package?

---------------------------
OK
---------------------------

Clicking OK, while
Installing
_autorebase-001002-1
/etc/postinstall/0p_000_autorebase.dash

---------------------------
Error writing file
---------------------------
Unable to extract /etc/postinstall/0p_000_autorebase.dash

The file is in use or some other error occurred.

Please stop all Cygwin processes and select "Retry", or select "Continue" to go on anyway (the file will be updated after a reboot).

---------------------------
Wiederholen   Abbrechen
---------------------------

Clicking Continue, it hangs flickering at:

Installing
_autorebase-001002-1
/etc/postinstall/0p_000_autorebase.dash
---------------------------

If I select an existing directory as Local Package Directory:
---------------------------
Fehler
---------------------------
Directory H:\tmp does not exist, would you like me to create it?
---------------------------
Ja   Nein
---------------------------

Clicking Yes:
---------------------------
Cygwin Setup
---------------------------
Couldn't create directory H:\tmp, sorry.  (Is drive full or read-only?)
---------------------------
OK
---------------------------

Attempting a fresh install behaves similarly,
and doesn't even create the root directory.

Sometimes:
---------------------------
Cygwin Setup
---------------------------
Cannot open log file L:\TGI\cygwin/var/log/setup.log for writing
---------------------------
OK
---------------------------

Other issues on that machine:

$ unxz cygwin1-20151112.dll.xz
unxz: cygwin1-20151112.dll: Kann Datei Gruppe nicht setzen: Permission denied
unxz: cygwin1-20151112.dll: Kann Zugriffsrechte nicht setzen: Permission denied

$ ls -l mined.exe
-rwxrwx---+ 1 wolff Domänen-Benutzer 7490140 16. Nov 12:09 mined.exe
$ getfacl mined.exe
# file: mined.exe
# owner: wolff
# group: Domänen-Benutzer
user::rwx
group::---
group:SYSTEM:rwx
group:Administratoren:rwx
group:Mitarbeiter:rwx
mask:rwx
other:---
$ uname -a
CYGWIN_NT-6.1-WOW DSY30 2.0.4(0.287/5/3) 2015-06-09 12:20 i686 Cygwin
$ LC_ALL=C chmod u+x mined.exe
chmod: changing permissions of 'mined.exe': Permission denied

* Re: network installation problems (again)
@ 2016-01-01  8:48 ` D. Boland
From: D. Boland @ 2016-01-01  8:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin applications

Thomas Wolff wrote:
> Hi,
> I am again having problems to install cygwin on a network drive. It's in
> the same network I had similar problems before:
> http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2009-11/msg00034.html
> which were then resolved after a while.
> The client machines are now new, running Windows 7. Domain server is the
> old one.
> My description log of actions and popup errors is attached below. There
> was no way to install on the network. I could install to the C: drive
> and move that over to the network where it would then run.

Happy new year, y'all!

You shouldn't try to install Cygwin on a network share and execute it
locally. That's like installing and running Linux on a Samba share.

If you want to use a single Cygwin distro on all computers in your
network, you should install it on the target host, including the openssh
daemon. Then on the client machines, you use Putty to log on to the host.

Daniel

* Re: network installation problems (again)
@ 2016-01-01 23:06   ` Thomas Wolff
From: Thomas Wolff @ 2016-01-01 23:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Am 01.01.2016 um 09:44 schrieb D. Boland:
> Thomas Wolff wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I am again having problems to install cygwin on a network drive. It's
>> in the same network I had similar problems before:
>> http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2009-11/msg00034.html
>> which were then resolved after a while.
>> The client machines are now new, running Windows 7. Domain server is
>> the old one.
>> My description log of actions and popup errors is attached below.
>> There was no way to install on the network. I could install to the C:
>> drive and move that over to the network where it would then run.
>>

> Happy new year, y'all!
>
> You shouldn't try to install Cygwin on a network share and execute it
> locally. That's like installing and running Linux on a Samba share.
>
> If you want to use a single Cygwin distro on all computers in your
> network, you should install it on the target host, including the
> openssh daemon. Then on the client machines, you use Putty to log on
> to the host.
I need Cygwin on the network clients, not on a server (and this has been
working for years, just with occasional install problems).
Also (if I understand your first sentence correctly), I did not try to
install centrally for client use, but to install on a client for that
client's use, just on a network drive. And in fact that's the only
option on that system which is a lab network and the local (C:) drives
are cleared after each reboot.
------
Thomas

* Re: network installation problems (again)
@ 2016-01-02  8:26     ` D. Boland
From: D. Boland @ 2016-01-02  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin applications

Thomas Wolff wrote:
> Am 01.01.2016 um 09:44 schrieb D. Boland:
>> Thomas Wolff wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> I am again having problems to install cygwin on a network drive. It's
>>> in the same network I had similar problems before:
>>> http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2009-11/msg00034.html
>>> which were then resolved after a while.
>>> The client machines are now new, running Windows 7. Domain server is
>>> the old one.
>>> My description log of actions and popup errors is attached below.
>>> There was no way to install on the network. I could install to the C:
>>> drive and move that over to the network where it would then run.
>>>

>> Happy new year, y'all!
>>
>> You shouldn't try to install Cygwin on a network share and execute it
>> locally. That's like installing and running Linux on a Samba share.
>>
>> If you want to use a single Cygwin distro on all computers in your
>> network, you should install it on the target host, including the
>> openssh daemon. Then on the client machines, you use Putty to log on
>> to the host.
> I need Cygwin on the network clients, not on a server (and this has been
> working for years, just with occasional install problems).
> Also (if I understand your first sentence correctly), I did not try to
> install centrally for client use, but to install on a client for that
> client's use, just on a network drive. And in fact that's the only
> option on that system which is a lab network and the local (C:) drives
> are cleared after each reboot.
> ------
> Thomas

So you're kind of hacking into your lab computers, right? :-) I noticed
something in your original output:

---------------------------
Fehler
---------------------------
Directory H:\tmp does not exist, would you like me to create it?
---------------------------
Ja   Nein
---------------------------

And:

---------------------------
Cygwin Setup
---------------------------
Cannot open log file L:\TGI\cygwin/var/log/setup.log for writing
---------------------------
OK
---------------------------

That's strange. Setup tries to install on different disks. Does the
network share change each time you log on?

Daniel

* Re: network installation problems (again)
@ 2016-01-02 12:01       ` Thomas Wolff
From: Thomas Wolff @ 2016-01-02 12:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Am 02.01.2016 um 09:21 schrieb D. Boland:
> Thomas Wolff wrote:
>>>>

>>> Happy new year, y'all!
>>>
>>> You shouldn't try to install Cygwin on a network share and execute
>>> it locally. That's like installing and running Linux on a Samba share.
>>>
>>> If you want to use a single Cygwin distro on all computers in your
>>> network, you should install it on the target host, including the
>>> openssh daemon. Then on the client machines, you use Putty to log on
>>> to the host.
>> I need Cygwin on the network clients, not on a server (and this has
>> been working for years, just with occasional install problems).
>> Also (if I understand your first sentence correctly), I did not try
>> to install centrally for client use, but to install on a client for
>> that client's use, just on a network drive. And in fact that's the
>> only option on that system which is a lab network and the local (C:)
>> drives are cleared after each reboot.
>> ------
>> Thomas
>>
> So you're kind of hacking into your lab computers, right? :-) I
> noticed something in your original output:
>
> ---------------------------
> Fehler
> ---------------------------
> Directory H:\tmp does not exist, would you like me to create it?
> ---------------------------
> Ja   Nein
> ---------------------------
>
> And:
>
> ---------------------------
> Cygwin Setup
> ---------------------------
> Cannot open log file L:\TGI\cygwin/var/log/setup.log for writing
> OK
>
> That's strange. Setup tries to install on different disks. Does the
> network share change each time you log on?
No. Install target is in L:\TGI while H:\tmp is the temp directory for
downloaded packages.
I hope they don't interfere. I can try to put both on the same drive but
I would be surprised if that makes a difference.
Thomas