public inbox for cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
From: Jon Turney <jon.turney@dronecode.org.uk>
To: Thomas Wolff <towo@towo.net>,
	"cygwin-apps@cygwin.com" <cygwin-apps@cygwin.com>
Subject: Re: [ITP] italic-man
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2023 14:36:16 +0100	[thread overview]

On 21/06/2023 22:45, Thomas Wolff via Cygwin-apps wrote:

> Am 16.02.2023 um 20:17 schrieb Thomas Wolff via Cygwin-apps:

>>> Thanks very much for having another go at this.
>>>
>>> I'm still not overly keen on postinstall/preremove scripts which
>>> modify a configuration file belonging to another package, so I think
>>> I'm going to defer to Achim on approving this.
>>>
>>> Taking a step back, may I ask a couple of questions?
>>>
>>> - Can this be done as a patch to man-db and/or groff?
>>>
>>> (perhaps with a separate man-italic package which just contains a
>>> marker file which enables the functionality?)
>>>
>>> - (If different) how would this be done in an upstreamable way?
>> Thanks for taking a look.
>> I understand your hesitation but there are a number of zp_ postinstall
>> scripts around that make updates to mandb, mime db, desktop, various
>> caches, maybe crontab.

There's a difference between updating a cache or db of files which exist
on the filesystem after the package update and modifying a file which
might be overwritten by reinstalling or updating a different package.

>> Well, yes, there could be a zp_ script for man that makes this entry
>> to /etc/man_db.conf itself in the presence of the italic-man package.
>> If that's desired and someone else updates man, I will cooperate on this.
>> I think the installation of italic-man does this in an upstreamable
>> way except for the postinstall mechanism of course which seems to be
>> different (if existent at all) everywhere.
>> Thomas
> I've added a zp_man-db-italic.dash postinstall script as a proposal for
> man-db to address your concerns, to be found in the repository
> github.com/mintty/italic-man. However, I find not documentation about
> these zp_ things, it seems they are just all called after each setup. So

They are briefly covered in [1].  If that's missing some details, please
let me know and I'll see what can be done to improve it.

[1] https://cygwin.com/packaging-package-files.html#postinstall

> would it actually make a difference whether the zp_ is a script of
> italic-man or of man-db? I've also added a cygport file to the
> repository so you can try the update if you like.
> About your first question
>> - Can this be done as a patch to man-db and/or groff?
> Do you mean the whole thing should not be a separate package at all but
> completely patched into man-db?

Well, yes, that would avoid all the knots caused by post-install scripts
with uncertain ordering I'm worrying about.

Can you explain, in general terms, why this isn't a feature of stock
man-db already?

> Looking forward to your opinion and that of the man-db package maintainer.
> And yes, the hook works on Linux too, so it could be provided somehow
> upstream.

Thanks continuing to grind away at this.