public inbox for cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
* does this match an SPDX license?
@ 2023-04-10 13:17 Andrew Schulman
From: Andrew Schulman @ 2023-04-10 13:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

autossh comes with the license shown below. Is there an SPDX license identifier
(https://spdx.org/licenses/) that I can associate with this? It looks most like
public domain to me. Thanks, Andrew

autossh is copyright (c) Carson Harding, 2005.
All rights reserved.

modification, are freely permitted.

THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED ``AS IS'' AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES,
INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY
AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL
THE AUTHOR OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL,
SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO,
PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS;
OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY,
WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR
OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF
ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.

* Re: does this match an SPDX license?
@ 2023-04-10 15:18 ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2023-04-10 15:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On 2023-04-10 07:17, Andrew Schulman via Cygwin-apps wrote:
> autossh comes with the license shown below. Is there an SPDX license identifier
> (https://spdx.org/licenses/) that I can associate with this? It looks most like
> public domain to me. Thanks, Andrew
>
> autossh is copyright (c) Carson Harding, 2005.
> All rights reserved.
>
> Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without
> modification, are freely permitted.
>
> THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED ``AS IS'' AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES,
> INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY
> AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL
> THE AUTHOR OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL,
> SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO,
> PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS;
> OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY,
> WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR
> OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF
> ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.

Not that I have seen or can find: where did you find the text, so I can ask?

This is a totally permissive licence, without any conditions, just warranty and
liability disclaimers.

You could use e.g. LicenseRef-motd-autossh-permissive-no-conditions for now.

                                 -- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

* Re: does this match an SPDX license?
@ 2023-04-10 15:54   ` Andrew Schulman
From: Andrew Schulman @ 2023-04-10 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

> On 2023-04-10 07:17, Andrew Schulman via Cygwin-apps wrote:
> > autossh comes with the license shown below. Is there an SPDX license identifier
> > (https://spdx.org/licenses/) that I can associate with this? It looks most like
> > public domain to me. Thanks, Andrew
> >
> > autossh is copyright (c) Carson Harding, 2005.
> > All rights reserved.
> >
> > Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without
> > modification, are freely permitted.
> >
> > THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED ``AS IS'' AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES,
> > INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY
> > AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL
> > THE AUTHOR OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL,
> > SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO,
> > PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS;
> > OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY,
> > WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR
> > OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF
> > ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.
>
> Not that I have seen or can find: where did you find the text, so I can ask?

The author of autossh, Carson Harding, emailed me the license text years ago,
after I asked him what license he wanted to use. I could email him again to ask
if there's a standard license he wants to use; just thought I'd check here
first.

> This is a totally permissive licence, without any conditions, just warranty and
> liability disclaimers.
>
> You could use e.g. LicenseRef-motd-autossh-permissive-no-conditions for now.

Thanks. I think that will do for now.
Andrew

* Re: does this match an SPDX license?
@ 2023-04-10 16:29     ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2023-04-10 16:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On 2023-04-10 09:54, Andrew Schulman via Cygwin-apps wrote:
>> On 2023-04-10 07:17, Andrew Schulman via Cygwin-apps wrote:
>>> autossh comes with the license shown below. Is there an SPDX license identifier
>>> (https://spdx.org/licenses/) that I can associate with this? It looks most like
>>> public domain to me. Thanks, Andrew
>>>
>>> autossh is copyright (c) Carson Harding, 2005.
>>> All rights reserved.
>>>
>>> Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without
>>> modification, are freely permitted.
>>>
>>> THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED ``AS IS'' AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES,
>>> INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY
>>> AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL
>>> THE AUTHOR OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL,
>>> SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO,
>>> PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS;
>>> OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY,
>>> WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR
>>> OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF
>>> ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.
>>
>> Not that I have seen or can find: where did you find the text, so I can ask?
>
> The author of autossh, Carson Harding, emailed me the license text years ago,
> after I asked him what license he wanted to use. I could email him again to ask
> if there's a standard license he wants to use; just thought I'd check here
> first.
>
>> This is a totally permissive licence, without any conditions, just warranty and
>> liability disclaimers.
>>
>> You could use e.g. LicenseRef-motd-autossh-permissive-no-conditions for now.
>
> Thanks. I think that will do for now.

Thanks, I will use your explanatory post as the reference, and ask on GH

                                 -- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry