public inbox for cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
* [ITA] ncompress 5.0
@ 2024-01-26 14:04 Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2024-01-26 14:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin Apps

Hi folks,

Noticed mention of ncompress used, saw it was unmaintained, occasionally use it
for old sources, although it appears that gzip also decompresses compress .Z,
pack .z, and zip single file formats.

Mike F/vapier has migrated ncompress from SF to Github and updated it.
It is available in Fedora up to date.
I updated the current build URIs to current GH and Fedora, rebuilt current thru
latest versions with patch updates, both locally and on GH scallywag, and got
the tests working, so I would like to adopt ncompress and provide the upgrade.

If accepted, I will follow up patches with current developer.

Scallywag Jobs:

https://cygwin.com/cgi-bin2/jobs.cgi?srcpkg=ncompress&user=Brian+Inglis

Cygport and Patch Updates:

	https://cygwin.com/cgit/cygwin-packages/ncompress/?h=playground

Build 5.0:

https://github.com/cygwin/scallywag/actions/runs/7668163283/job/20899585246

Available everywhere, sometimes base, sometimes optional:

	https://repology.org/project/ncompress/versions

                                 -- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

* Re: [ITA] ncompress 5.0
@ 2024-01-28 16:49 ` Jon Turney
From: Jon Turney @ 2024-01-28 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brian Inglis; +Cc: cygwin-apps

On 26/01/2024 14:04, Brian Inglis via Cygwin-apps wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> Noticed mention of ncompress used, saw it was unmaintained, occasionally
> use it for old sources, although it appears that gzip also decompresses
> compress .Z, pack .z, and zip single file formats.
>
> Mike F/vapier has migrated ncompress from SF to Github and updated it.
> It is available in Fedora up to date.
> I updated the current build URIs to current GH and Fedora, rebuilt
> current thru latest versions with patch updates, both locally and on GH
> scallywag, and got the tests working, so I would like to adopt ncompress
> and provide the upgrade.
>
> If accepted, I will follow up patches with current developer.

[...]
> Cygport and Patch Updates:
>
>      https://cygwin.com/cgit/cygwin-packages/ncompress/?h=playground

Thanks. Looks good.

Can you rebase your changes on top of the git history in main/master?

> FEDORA=http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/$NAME.git/plain
> FEDORA=https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/ncompress/raw/f39/f

Obviously the first one here is redundant

#       $FEDORA/$NAME-4.2.4.4-filenamelen.patch
#       $FEDORA/$NAME-4.2.4.4-silence-gcc.patch
#       $FEDORA/$NAME-4.2.4.4-make.patch
#       $FEDORA/$NAME-4.2.4.4-2GB.patch
#       $FEDORA/$NAME-4.2.4.4-endians.patch
#       $FEDORA/$NAME-4.2.4.4-memmove.patch
#       $FEDORA/$NAME-4.2.4.4-lfs.patch
#       $NAME-4.2.4.5-lfs.patch
#       $NAME-4.2.4.6-lfs.patch
#       ncompress-4.2.4.5-runtests-sh-run-from-build-dir.patch

This doesn't seem to have any value, especially as it's in the history...

I added this to your packages.

* Re: [ITA] ncompress 5.0
@ 2024-01-28 17:06   ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2024-01-28 17:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On 2024-01-28 09:49, Jon Turney via Cygwin-apps wrote:
> On 26/01/2024 14:04, Brian Inglis via Cygwin-apps wrote:
>> Noticed mention of ncompress used, saw it was unmaintained, occasionally use
>> it for old sources, although it appears that gzip also decompresses compress
>> .Z, pack .z, and zip single file formats.
>> Mike F/vapier has migrated ncompress from SF to Github and updated it.
>> It is available in Fedora up to date.
>> I updated the current build URIs to current GH and Fedora, rebuilt current
>> thru latest versions with patch updates, both locally and on GH scallywag, and
>> got the tests working, so I would like to adopt ncompress and provide the
>> upgrade.
>> If accepted, I will follow up patches with current developer.
>> Cygport and Patch Updates:
>>      https://cygwin.com/cgit/cygwin-packages/ncompress/?h=playground

> Thanks. Looks good.
> Can you rebase your changes on top of the git history in main/master?

Sure; I could not find the ncompress repo when I looked for it, so init-ed a new
one with the standard upstreams.

>> FEDORA=http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/$NAME.git/plain
>> FEDORA=https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/ncompress/raw/f39/f

> Obviously the first one here is redundant
> #       $FEDORA/$NAME-4.2.4.4-filenamelen.patch
> #       $FEDORA/$NAME-4.2.4.4-silence-gcc.patch
> #       $FEDORA/$NAME-4.2.4.4-make.patch
> #       $FEDORA/$NAME-4.2.4.4-2GB.patch
> #       $FEDORA/$NAME-4.2.4.4-endians.patch
> #       $FEDORA/$NAME-4.2.4.4-memmove.patch
> #       $FEDORA/$NAME-4.2.4.4-lfs.patch
> #       $NAME-4.2.4.5-lfs.patch
> #       $NAME-4.2.4.6-lfs.patch
> #       ncompress-4.2.4.5-runtests-sh-run-from-build-dir.patch
> This doesn't seem to have any value, especially as it's in the history...

Never sure if pushes to ncompress/playground would work so kept old stuff around
in case I had to use playground/playground instead.
Will clean up for rebase onto master.

> I added this to your packages.

Thanks Jon

                                 -- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry