public inbox for cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
* cygport for simple package addon: skip prep?
@ 2018-12-07 22:43 Heavenly Avenger
From: Heavenly Avenger @ 2018-12-07 22:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

I am trying to write a cygport file for an extension to docbook-xsl
called mathml.

The latest version of the DTD file is at
https://docbook.org/xml/mathml/${VERSION}/dbmathml.dtd, and it is not
zipped nor packaged in any way.

The package consists on just a single .DTD file and I can't figure out
how to make cygport "skip" the unpack attempt during "cygport prep". I
might need to just copy the file into what it assumes to be the package
directory, then during compile/install time, just copy over the file to
the correct location, and determine that as the package's contents.

I have this debian package as a base to what should be in the package
file: https://packages.debian.org/sid/all/docbook-mathml/filelist

It seems to be a so basic addition that cygport is kind of too complex
for it -- but it would be useful as a way to "remember" installation
steps required on cygwin, if the correct setup instructions are saved in
a cygport file.

Any ideas and directions are welcome. If you know a cygwin package in a
similar format (just installs a file that it downloads in its original,
uncompressed format), that'd be of great help as well.

Thanks in advance!

* Re: cygport for simple package addon: skip prep?
@ 2018-12-08 17:29 ` Marco Atzeri
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2018-12-08 17:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Am 07.12.2018 um 23:42 schrieb Heavenly Avenger:
> I am trying to write a cygport file for an extension to docbook-xsl
> called mathml.

In general you should ask this question on the cygwin mailing list.
This one is for discussion between package maintainer, or are
you planning to become one ?

> The latest version of the DTD file is at
> https://docbook.org/xml/mathml/${VERSION}/dbmathml.dtd, and it is not
> zipped nor packaged in any way.
>
> The package consists on just a single .DTD file and I can't figure out
> how to make cygport "skip" the unpack attempt during "cygport prep". I
> might need to just copy the file into what it assumes to be the package
> directory, then during compile/install time, just copy over the file to
> the correct location, and determine that as the package's contents.

My solution for similar issue is to make a dummy source package with
just a readme inside

src_compile() {
         :
}

src_install() {
         # copy of the data from ...

         ORIG="/cygdrive/d/cyg_pub/devel/tesseract/git"
         cd ${D}/usr/share/doc/docbook-xml...
	wget https://docbook.org/xml/mathml/${VERSION}/dbmathml.dtd
}

> I have this debian package as a base to what should be in the package
> file: https://packages.debian.org/sid/all/docbook-mathml/filelist
>
> It seems to be a so basic addition that cygport is kind of too complex
> for it -- but it would be useful as a way to "remember" installation
> steps required on cygwin, if the correct setup instructions are saved in
> a cygport file.
>
> Any ideas and directions are welcome. If you know a cygwin package in a
> similar format (just installs a file that it downloads in its original,
> uncompressed format), that'd be of great help as well.
>
> Thanks in advance!

---

* Re: cygport for simple package addon: skip prep?
@ 2018-12-08 21:35   ` Heavenly Avenger
From: Heavenly Avenger @ 2018-12-08 21:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Hello, Marco, and thanks for the feedback and help!

On 12/8/2018 3:29 PM, Marco Atzeri wrote:
> Am 07.12.2018 um 23:42 schrieb Heavenly Avenger:
>> I am trying to write a cygport file for an extension to docbook-xsl
>> called mathml.
>>

> In general you should ask this question on the cygwin mailing list.
> This one is for discussion between package maintainer, or are
> you planning to become one ?

I am not really sure I can dedicate the time to be a maintainer as I
stated in another email, but the ultimate goal with this mathml
extension was to be able to build a package called 'postgis'. If I can
ultimately make it work, I might change my mind and try to become its
maintainer.

I thought it was ok (and was supposed to) have this kind of subject
discussed here regardless of being a package maintainer or not, sorry
for that. I will refrain from posting here until I make up my mind.

>> The latest version of the DTD file is at
>> https://docbook.org/xml/mathml/${VERSION}/dbmathml.dtd, and it is not
>> zipped nor packaged in any way.
>>
>> The package consists on just a single .DTD file and I can't figure out
>> how to make cygport "skip" the unpack attempt during "cygport prep". I
>> might need to just copy the file into what it assumes to be the package
>> directory, then during compile/install time, just copy over the file to
>> the correct location, and determine that as the package's contents.
>
> My solution for similar issue is to make a dummy source package with
> just a readme inside
>
> src_compile() {
>         :
> }
>
> src_install() {
>         # copy of the data from ...
>
>         ORIG="/cygdrive/d/cyg_pub/devel/tesseract/git"
>         cd ${D}/usr/share/doc/docbook-xml...
>     wget https://docbook.org/xml/mathml/${VERSION}/dbmathml.dtd
> }

Okay, so I guess the solution would really make that dummy package.
Thanks. I was trying to avoid this as a package with this "workaround"
would likely not be accepted in the official cygwin repo.

>> I have this debian package as a base to what should be in the package
>> file: https://packages.debian.org/sid/all/docbook-mathml/filelist
>>
>> It seems to be a so basic addition that cygport is kind of too complex
>> for it -- but it would be useful as a way to "remember" installation
>> steps required on cygwin, if the correct setup instructions are saved
>> in a cygport file.
>>
>> Any ideas and directions are welcome. If you know a cygwin package in a
>> similar format (just installs a file that it downloads in its original,
>> uncompressed format), that'd be of great help as well.
>>
>> Thanks in advance!
>>

> ---

So, in conclusion, I'm thankful for the feedback, and will forward any
other question to the cygwin general mailing list.