public inbox for cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
* scallywag zp_texlive_finish.dash failing exit code 2 rebuilding installed formats
@ 2021-08-22  0:48 Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2021-08-22  0:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin Applications

Any way to see if there is anything useful in scallywag #160 (3181)
fontconfig run 1154600337 build_requires setup /var/log/setup.log.full
without hacking and pushing fontconfig.cygport?

https://github.com/cygwin/scallywag/actions/runs/1154600337/workflow

Trying to build updated fontconfig (to see if continual cache creation
issue has been resolved, or analyze and hopefully debug that issue to
remove or patch the cause, then ITA), but getting weird build issues.

Trying scallywag playground, but it's also having problems installing
prereq texlive-collection-htmlxml, which pulls in other packages
including texlive-collection-formatsextra, which need built by
/etc/postinstall/zp_texlive_finish.dash, which is failing somewhere with
exit code 2 - not a lot of detail!

* Re: scallywag zp_texlive_finish.dash failing exit code 2 rebuilding installed formats
@ 2021-08-22 15:15 ` Jon Turney
From: Jon Turney @ 2021-08-22 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps, Brian Inglis

On 22/08/2021 01:48, Brian Inglis wrote:
> Any way to see if there is anything useful in scallywag #160 (3181)
> fontconfig run 1154600337 build_requires setup /var/log/setup.log.full
> without hacking and pushing fontconfig.cygport?
>
> https://github.com/cygwin/scallywag/actions/runs/1154600337/workflow
>
> Trying to build updated fontconfig (to see if continual cache creation
> issue has been resolved, or analyze and hopefully debug that issue to
> remove or patch the cause, then ITA), but getting weird build issues.
>
> Trying scallywag playground, but it's also having problems installing
> prereq texlive-collection-htmlxml, which pulls in other packages
> including texlive-collection-formatsextra, which need built by
> /etc/postinstall/zp_texlive_finish.dash, which is failing somewhere with
> exit code 2 - not a lot of detail!

I've tweaked scallywag so setup.log.full is also preserved in the
builddir artefact.

This might now contain something useful if the post-install script is
emitting an error.

* Re: scallywag zp_texlive_finish.dash failing exit code 2 rebuilding installed formats
@ 2021-08-22 15:21 ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2021-08-22 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin Applications

On 2021-08-21 18:48, Brian Inglis wrote:
> Any way to see if there is anything useful in scallywag #160 (3181)
> fontconfig run 1154600337 build_requires setup /var/log/setup.log.full
> without hacking and pushing fontconfig.cygport?
>
> https://github.com/cygwin/scallywag/actions/runs/1154600337/workflow
>
> Trying to build updated fontconfig (to see if continual cache creation
> issue has been resolved, or analyze and hopefully debug that issue to
> remove or patch the cause, then ITA), but getting weird build issues.
>
> Trying scallywag playground, but it's also having problems installing
> prereq texlive-collection-htmlxml, which pulls in other packages
> including texlive-collection-formatsextra, which need built by
> /etc/postinstall/zp_texlive_finish.dash, which is failing somewhere with
> exit code 2 - not a lot of detail!

Looks like for some reason, even after autoreconf, and the build
generating cygfontconfig-1.dll, it thinks it is building native Windows
programs and generates /usr/lib/libfontconfig.def, fontconfig.pc
contains "cachedir=LOCAL_APPDATA_FONTCONFIG_CACHE", obviously not
%-enclosed or expanded, and test programs are linked with
libfontconfig-1.dll:
C:/.../fontconfig-2.13.94-1.x86_64/build/test/.libs/test-bz106618.exe:
error while loading shared libraries: libfontconfig-1.dll: cannot open

Hopefully someone has seen this behaviour before, and can help suggest
an approach to fix the build.

The issue may relate to using a new m4 test release, or missing Cygwin
bits in gnulib, aclocal, dlltool, or libtool.

* Re: scallywag zp_texlive_finish.dash failing exit code 2 rebuilding installed formats
@ 2021-08-22 15:33   ` Brian Inglis
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Brian Inglis @ 2021-08-22 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On 2021-08-22 09:15, Jon Turney wrote:
> On 22/08/2021 01:48, Brian Inglis wrote:
>> Any way to see if there is anything useful in scallywag #160 (3181)
>> fontconfig run 1154600337 build_requires setup /var/log/setup.log.full
>> without hacking and pushing fontconfig.cygport?
>>
>> https://github.com/cygwin/scallywag/actions/runs/1154600337/workflow
>>
>> Trying to build updated fontconfig (to see if continual cache creation
>> issue has been resolved, or analyze and hopefully debug that issue to
>> remove or patch the cause, then ITA), but getting weird build issues.
>>
>> Trying scallywag playground, but it's also having problems installing
>> prereq texlive-collection-htmlxml, which pulls in other packages
>> including texlive-collection-formatsextra, which need built by
>> /etc/postinstall/zp_texlive_finish.dash, which is failing somewhere
>> with exit code 2 - not a lot of detail!
>
> I've tweaked scallywag so setup.log.full is also preserved in the
> builddir artefact.
>
> This might now contain something useful if the post-install script is
> emitting an error.

Thanks Jon,

I'll rerun and check, and see if I can mitigate it in cygport under
scallywag.

* Re: scallywag zp_texlive_finish.dash failing exit code 2 rebuilding installed formats
@ 2021-08-22 21:57     ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2021-08-22 21:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On 2021-08-22 09:33, Brian Inglis wrote:
> On 2021-08-22 09:15, Jon Turney wrote:
>> On 22/08/2021 01:48, Brian Inglis wrote:
>>> Any way to see if there is anything useful in scallywag #160 (3181)
>>> fontconfig run 1154600337 build_requires setup
>>> /var/log/setup.log.full without hacking and pushing fontconfig.cygport?
>>>
>>> https://github.com/cygwin/scallywag/actions/runs/1154600337/workflow
>>>
>>> Trying to build updated fontconfig (to see if continual cache
>>> creation issue has been resolved, or analyze and hopefully debug that
>>> issue to remove or patch the cause, then ITA), but getting weird
>>> build issues.
>>>
>>> Trying scallywag playground, but it's also having problems installing
>>> prereq texlive-collection-htmlxml, which pulls in other packages
>>> including texlive-collection-formatsextra, which need built by
>>> /etc/postinstall/zp_texlive_finish.dash, which is failing somewhere
>>> with exit code 2 - not a lot of detail!
>>
>> I've tweaked scallywag so setup.log.full is also preserved in the
>> builddir artefact.
>>
>> This might now contain something useful if the post-install script is
>> emitting an error.
>
> Thanks Jon,
>
> I'll rerun and check, and see if I can mitigate it in cygport under
> scallywag.

Thanks again Jon,

That allowed me to track it down: it looks like the issue is marvosym:

docbook-utils -> texlive-collection-htmlxml ->
texlive-collection-plaingeneric -> marvosym ->
texlive-collection-fontsrecommended

but texlive-collection-plaingeneric does not require
texlive-collection-fontsrecommended, so it looks like that may have to
be explicitly requested in the cygport build.

Opinion sought from Ken Brown!

$ zfgrep marvosym
/etc/setup/texlive-collection-{plaingeneric,fontsrecommended}.lst.gz
/etc/setup/texlive-collection-plaingeneric.lst.gz:usr/share/texmf-dist/tex4ht/ht-fonts/alias/marvosym/
/etc/setup/texlive-collection-plaingeneric.lst.gz:usr/share/texmf-dist/tex4ht/ht-fonts/alias/marvosym/fmvri8x.htf
/etc/setup/texlive-collection-plaingeneric.lst.gz:usr/share/texmf-dist/tex4ht/ht-fonts/unicode/marvosym/
/etc/setup/texlive-collection-plaingeneric.lst.gz:usr/share/texmf-dist/tex4ht/ht-fonts/unicode/marvosym/fmvr8x.htf
/etc/setup/texlive-collection-fontsrecommended.lst.gz:usr/share/texmf-dist/fonts/afm/public/marvosym/
/etc/setup/texlive-collection-fontsrecommended.lst.gz:usr/share/texmf-dist/fonts/afm/public/marvosym/marvosym.afm
/etc/setup/texlive-collection-fontsrecommended.lst.gz:usr/share/texmf-dist/fonts/map/dvips/marvosym/
/etc/setup/texlive-collection-fontsrecommended.lst.gz:usr/share/texmf-dist/fonts/map/dvips/marvosym/marvosym.map
/etc/setup/texlive-collection-fontsrecommended.lst.gz:usr/share/texmf-dist/fonts/tfm/public/marvosym/
/etc/setup/texlive-collection-fontsrecommended.lst.gz:usr/share/texmf-dist/fonts/tfm/public/marvosym/umvs.tfm
/etc/setup/texlive-collection-fontsrecommended.lst.gz:usr/share/texmf-dist/fonts/truetype/public/marvosym/
/etc/setup/texlive-collection-fontsrecommended.lst.gz:usr/share/texmf-dist/fonts/truetype/public/marvosym/marvosym.ttf
/etc/setup/texlive-collection-fontsrecommended.lst.gz:usr/share/texmf-dist/fonts/type1/public/marvosym/
/etc/setup/texlive-collection-fontsrecommended.lst.gz:usr/share/texmf-dist/fonts/type1/public/marvosym/marvosym.pfb
/etc/setup/texlive-collection-fontsrecommended.lst.gz:usr/share/texmf-dist/tex/latex/marvosym/
/etc/setup/texlive-collection-fontsrecommended.lst.gz:usr/share/texmf-dist/tex/latex/marvosym/marvosym.sty
/etc/setup/texlive-collection-fontsrecommended.lst.gz:usr/share/texmf-dist/tex/latex/marvosym/umvs.fd
/etc/setup/texlive-collection-fontsrecommended.lst.gz:usr/share/tlpkg/tlpobj/marvosym.tlpobj

* /etc/postinstall/zp_texlive_finish.dash fails missing marvosysm.sty
@ 2021-08-22 22:20     ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2021-08-22 22:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

/etc/postinstall/zp_texlive_finish.dash fails missing marvosysm.sty

docbook-utils -> texlive-collection-htmlxml ->
texlive-collection-plaingeneric -> marvosym ->
texlive-collection-fontsrecommended

but texlive-collection-plaingeneric does not require
texlive-collection-fontsrecommended, so
so it looks like that may have to be an explicit
REQUIRES=texlive-collection-fontsrecommended in the
texlive-collection-plaingeneric.cygport build.

@ 2021-08-22 22:26     ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2021-08-22 22:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

[sorry clicked too soon]

/etc/postinstall/zp_texlive_finish.dash fails missing marvosysm.sty
while trying to build pdfjadetex or jadetex.

@ 2021-08-22 22:38       ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2021-08-22 22:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On 8/22/2021 5:57 PM, Brian Inglis wrote:
> On 2021-08-22 09:33, Brian Inglis wrote:

>>> I've tweaked scallywag so setup.log.full is also preserved in the builddir
>>> artefact.
>>>
>>> This might now contain something useful if the post-install script is
>>> emitting an error.
>>
>> Thanks Jon,
>>
>> I'll rerun and check, and see if I can mitigate it in cygport under scallywag.
>
> Thanks again Jon,
>
> That allowed me to track it down: it looks like the issue is marvosym:
>
> docbook-utils -> texlive-collection-htmlxml -> texlive-collection-plaingeneric
> -> marvosym -> texlive-collection-fontsrecommended
>
> but texlive-collection-plaingeneric does not require
> texlive-collection-fontsrecommended, so it looks like that may have to be
> explicitly requested in the cygport build.
>
> Opinion sought from Ken Brown!
>
> $ zfgrep marvosym
> /etc/setup/texlive-collection-{plaingeneric,fontsrecommended}.lst.gz
> /etc/setup/texlive-collection-plaingeneric.lst.gz:usr/share/texmf-dist/tex4ht/ht-fonts/alias/marvosym/
>
> /etc/setup/texlive-collection-plaingeneric.lst.gz:usr/share/texmf-dist/tex4ht/ht-fonts/alias/marvosym/fmvri8x.htf
>
> /etc/setup/texlive-collection-plaingeneric.lst.gz:usr/share/texmf-dist/tex4ht/ht-fonts/unicode/marvosym/
>
> /etc/setup/texlive-collection-plaingeneric.lst.gz:usr/share/texmf-dist/tex4ht/ht-fonts/unicode/marvosym/fmvr8x.htf
>
> /etc/setup/texlive-collection-fontsrecommended.lst.gz:usr/share/texmf-dist/fonts/afm/public/marvosym/
>
> /etc/setup/texlive-collection-fontsrecommended.lst.gz:usr/share/texmf-dist/fonts/afm/public/marvosym/marvosym.afm
>
> /etc/setup/texlive-collection-fontsrecommended.lst.gz:usr/share/texmf-dist/fonts/map/dvips/marvosym/
>
> /etc/setup/texlive-collection-fontsrecommended.lst.gz:usr/share/texmf-dist/fonts/map/dvips/marvosym/marvosym.map
>
> /etc/setup/texlive-collection-fontsrecommended.lst.gz:usr/share/texmf-dist/fonts/tfm/public/marvosym/
>
> /etc/setup/texlive-collection-fontsrecommended.lst.gz:usr/share/texmf-dist/fonts/tfm/public/marvosym/umvs.tfm
>
> /etc/setup/texlive-collection-fontsrecommended.lst.gz:usr/share/texmf-dist/fonts/truetype/public/marvosym/
>
> /etc/setup/texlive-collection-fontsrecommended.lst.gz:usr/share/texmf-dist/fonts/truetype/public/marvosym/marvosym.ttf
>
> /etc/setup/texlive-collection-fontsrecommended.lst.gz:usr/share/texmf-dist/fonts/type1/public/marvosym/
>
> /etc/setup/texlive-collection-fontsrecommended.lst.gz:usr/share/texmf-dist/fonts/type1/public/marvosym/marvosym.pfb
>
> /etc/setup/texlive-collection-fontsrecommended.lst.gz:usr/share/texmf-dist/tex/latex/marvosym/
>
> /etc/setup/texlive-collection-fontsrecommended.lst.gz:usr/share/texmf-dist/tex/latex/marvosym/marvosym.sty
>
> /etc/setup/texlive-collection-fontsrecommended.lst.gz:usr/share/texmf-dist/tex/latex/marvosym/umvs.fd
>
> /etc/setup/texlive-collection-fontsrecommended.lst.gz:usr/share/tlpkg/tlpobj/marvosym.tlpobj

Sorry, but I need more detail.  I'd be very surprised if
texlive-collection-fontsrecommended is needed in order to rebuild formats, but
maybe I'm missing something.  Please start from the beginning and say exactly
what you're doing and exactly how zp_texlive_finish.dash is failing.

Thanks.

Ken

* Re: scallywag zp_texlive_finish.dash failing exit code 2 rebuilding installed formats
@ 2021-08-22 22:58         ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2021-08-22 22:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On 8/22/2021 6:38 PM, Ken Brown via Cygwin-apps wrote:
> On 8/22/2021 5:57 PM, Brian Inglis wrote:

>>> Thanks Jon,
>>>
>>> I'll rerun and check, and see if I can mitigate it in cygport under scallywag.
>>
>> Thanks again Jon,
>>
>> That allowed me to track it down: it looks like the issue is marvosym:
>>
>> docbook-utils -> texlive-collection-htmlxml -> texlive-collection-plaingeneric
>> -> marvosym -> texlive-collection-fontsrecommended
>>
>> but texlive-collection-plaingeneric does not require
>> texlive-collection-fontsrecommended, so it looks like that may have to be
>> explicitly requested in the cygport build.
>>
>> Opinion sought from Ken Brown!
>>
>> $ zfgrep marvosym
>> /etc/setup/texlive-collection-{plaingeneric,fontsrecommended}.lst.gz
>> /etc/setup/texlive-collection-plaingeneric.lst.gz:usr/share/texmf-dist/tex4ht/ht-fonts/alias/marvosym/
>>
>> /etc/setup/texlive-collection-plaingeneric.lst.gz:usr/share/texmf-dist/tex4ht/ht-fonts/alias/marvosym/fmvri8x.htf
>>
>> /etc/setup/texlive-collection-plaingeneric.lst.gz:usr/share/texmf-dist/tex4ht/ht-fonts/unicode/marvosym/
>>
>> /etc/setup/texlive-collection-plaingeneric.lst.gz:usr/share/texmf-dist/tex4ht/ht-fonts/unicode/marvosym/fmvr8x.htf
>>
>> /etc/setup/texlive-collection-fontsrecommended.lst.gz:usr/share/texmf-dist/fonts/afm/public/marvosym/
>>
>> /etc/setup/texlive-collection-fontsrecommended.lst.gz:usr/share/texmf-dist/fonts/afm/public/marvosym/marvosym.afm
>>
>> /etc/setup/texlive-collection-fontsrecommended.lst.gz:usr/share/texmf-dist/fonts/map/dvips/marvosym/
>>
>> /etc/setup/texlive-collection-fontsrecommended.lst.gz:usr/share/texmf-dist/fonts/map/dvips/marvosym/marvosym.map
>>
>> /etc/setup/texlive-collection-fontsrecommended.lst.gz:usr/share/texmf-dist/fonts/tfm/public/marvosym/
>>
>> /etc/setup/texlive-collection-fontsrecommended.lst.gz:usr/share/texmf-dist/fonts/tfm/public/marvosym/umvs.tfm
>>
>> /etc/setup/texlive-collection-fontsrecommended.lst.gz:usr/share/texmf-dist/fonts/truetype/public/marvosym/
>>
>> /etc/setup/texlive-collection-fontsrecommended.lst.gz:usr/share/texmf-dist/fonts/truetype/public/marvosym/marvosym.ttf
>>
>> /etc/setup/texlive-collection-fontsrecommended.lst.gz:usr/share/texmf-dist/fonts/type1/public/marvosym/
>>
>> /etc/setup/texlive-collection-fontsrecommended.lst.gz:usr/share/texmf-dist/fonts/type1/public/marvosym/marvosym.pfb
>>
>> /etc/setup/texlive-collection-fontsrecommended.lst.gz:usr/share/texmf-dist/tex/latex/marvosym/
>>
>> /etc/setup/texlive-collection-fontsrecommended.lst.gz:usr/share/texmf-dist/tex/latex/marvosym/marvosym.sty
>>
>> /etc/setup/texlive-collection-fontsrecommended.lst.gz:usr/share/texmf-dist/tex/latex/marvosym/umvs.fd
>>
>> /etc/setup/texlive-collection-fontsrecommended.lst.gz:usr/share/tlpkg/tlpobj/marvosym.tlpobj
>

> Sorry, but I need more detail.  I'd be very surprised if
> texlive-collection-fontsrecommended is needed in order to rebuild formats, but
> maybe I'm missing something.  Please start from the beginning and say exactly
> what you're doing and exactly how zp_texlive_finish.dash is failing.

OK, your later messages explain it better.  I'll have to look at
texlive-collection-formatsextra; it's possible that it needs to require
texlive-collection-fontsrecommended.  But a better solution to your immediate
problem would be for someone to look at docbook-utils and see whether it really
needs texlive-collection-formatsextra.  It currently requires the obsolete
texlive-collection-htmlxml, which pulls in a lot of other packages, probably
unnecessarily in most cases.  See

   https://cygwin.com/packages/summary/texlive-collection-htmlxml.html

Ken

* Re: scallywag zp_texlive_finish.dash failing exit code 2 rebuilding installed formats
@ 2021-08-23 18:46           ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2021-08-23 18:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On 2021-08-22 16:58, Ken Brown via Cygwin-apps wrote:
> [...]
>>>
>>> /etc/setup/texlive-collection-fontsrecommended.lst.gz:usr/share/tlpkg/tlpobj/marvosym.tlpobj
>>

>> Sorry, but I need more detail.  I'd be very surprised if
>> texlive-collection-fontsrecommended is needed in order to rebuild
>> formats, but maybe I'm missing something.  Please start from the
>> beginning and say exactly what you're doing and exactly how
>> zp_texlive_finish.dash is failing.
>
> OK, your later messages explain it better.  I'll have to look at
> texlive-collection-formatsextra; it's possible that it needs to require
> texlive-collection-fontsrecommended.  But a better solution to your
> immediate problem would be for someone to look at docbook-utils and see
> whether it really needs texlive-collection-formatsextra.  It currently
> requires the obsolete texlive-collection-htmlxml, which pulls in a lot
> of other packages, probably unnecessarily in most cases.  See

That would require a TeX-y who knows the TeX relationships of the files.
 From what I can see jadetex and pdfjadtex are used by docbook-utils, so
whatever they need to be built and used.
 From docbook-utils /usr/doc/html/docbook-utils-0.6.14/jw.html:

"The jw shell script allows to convert a DocBook file (or some other
SGML-based format) to other formats (including HTML, RTF, PS and PDF)
with an easy-to-understand syntax. It hides most of Jade's or OpenJade
complexity and adds comfortable features.

Other scripts like docbook2html, docbook2rtf or docbook2ps provide
different ways of calling jw that might be easier to remember.

For the moment, jw does not handle XML, but only SGML.
This utility assumes that several other components are installed. The
list includes:

the ISO character entities for SGML
James Clark's DSSSL engine, jade, or an equivalent parser like OpenJade
the DocBook DTD from the OASIS consortium
Norman Walsh's DocBook modular style sheets (or some other set of DSSSL
style sheets)
Sebastian Rahtz's jadetex set of TeX macros for jade (for backends
intended to "printing" formats like PDF, RTF or PostScript)
A perl interpreter (for backends that use perl)
SGMLSpm from CPAN (for backends that use sgmls)
Lynx HTML browser (for the txt backend)."

I don't know if that gives anyone TeX-y enough information to say which
more recent dependencies are necessary, although previous releases of
htmlxml required fontsrecommended, and none of its dependencies now do,
so it should be required by one or more of those.

It looks like some tools are last century and others more than a decade
old, so nothing is likely to happen with those legacy projects.
The source documents could do with being converted from legacy SGML, TeX
formats to something modern like restructured text, and modern tools
used to generate output formats if required, although browser extensions
provide readable output from many modern formats.

* Re: scallywag zp_texlive_finish.dash failing exit code 2 rebuilding installed formats
@ 2021-08-23 21:08             ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2021-08-23 21:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On 8/23/2021 2:46 PM, Brian Inglis wrote:
> On 2021-08-22 16:58, Ken Brown via Cygwin-apps wrote:
>> OK, your later messages explain it better.  I'll have to look at
>> texlive-collection-formatsextra; it's possible that it needs to require
>> texlive-collection-fontsrecommended.  But a better solution to your immediate
>> problem would be for someone to look at docbook-utils and see whether it
>> really needs texlive-collection-formatsextra.  It currently requires the
>> obsolete texlive-collection-htmlxml, which pulls in a lot of other packages,
>> probably unnecessarily in most cases.  See
>>
>>    https://cygwin.com/packages/summary/texlive-collection-htmlxml.html
>
> That would require a TeX-y who knows the TeX relationships of the files.
>  From what I can see jadetex and pdfjadtex are used by docbook-utils,

OK, so docbook-utils definitely needs texlive-collection-formatsextra, which is
what I hoped to avoid.  In that case, it's probably not worth checking whether
it needs the other dependencies of texlive-collection-htmlxml.

And jadetex needs texlive-collection-fontsrecommended for marvosym, so I need to
fix the dependencies of texlive-collection-formatsextra.  I'll do that shortly.

Thanks for reporting the problem.

Ken

* Re: scallywag zp_texlive_finish.dash failing exit code 2 rebuilding installed formats
@ 2021-08-24  0:26               ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2021-08-24  0:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On 2021-08-23 15:08, Ken Brown via Cygwin-apps wrote:
> On 8/23/2021 2:46 PM, Brian Inglis wrote:
>> On 2021-08-22 16:58, Ken Brown via Cygwin-apps wrote:
>>> OK, your later messages explain it better.  I'll have to look at
>>> texlive-collection-formatsextra; it's possible that it needs to
>>> require texlive-collection-fontsrecommended.  But a better solution
>>> to your immediate problem would be for someone to look at
>>> docbook-utils and see whether it really needs
>>> texlive-collection-formatsextra.  It currently requires the obsolete
>>> texlive-collection-htmlxml, which pulls in a lot of other packages,
>>> probably unnecessarily in most cases.  See
>>>    https://cygwin.com/packages/summary/texlive-collection-htmlxml.html

>> That would require a TeX-y who knows the TeX relationships of the files.
>>  From what I can see jadetex and pdfjadtex are used by docbook-utils,

> OK, so docbook-utils definitely needs texlive-collection-formatsextra,
> which is what I hoped to avoid.  In that case, it's probably not worth
> checking whether it needs the other dependencies of
> texlive-collection-htmlxml.
> And jadetex needs texlive-collection-fontsrecommended for marvosym, so I
> need to fix the dependencies of texlive-collection-formatsextra.  I'll
> do that shortly.

Thanks Ken

> Thanks for reporting the problem.

I will trim back the BUILD_REQUIRES to ...formatsextra (and
...plaingeneric? for html?) without other additions to see if
zp_texlive_finish.dash completes under scallywag and also whether the
package builds with just those packages.

* Re: scallywag zp_texlive_finish.dash failing exit code 2 rebuilding installed formats
@ 2021-08-24 14:57                 ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2021-08-24 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On 8/23/2021 8:26 PM, Brian Inglis wrote:
> On 2021-08-23 15:08, Ken Brown via Cygwin-apps wrote:
>
>>> That would require a TeX-y who knows the TeX relationships of the files.
>>>  From what I can see jadetex and pdfjadtex are used by docbook-utils,
>
>> OK, so docbook-utils definitely needs texlive-collection-formatsextra, which
>> is what I hoped to avoid.  In that case, it's probably not worth checking
>> whether it needs the other dependencies of texlive-collection-htmlxml.
>> And jadetex needs texlive-collection-fontsrecommended for marvosym, so I need
>> to fix the dependencies of texlive-collection-formatsextra.  I'll do that
>> shortly.
>
> Thanks Ken
>
>> Thanks for reporting the problem.
>
> I will trim back the BUILD_REQUIRES to ...formatsextra (and ...plaingeneric? for
> html?) without other additions to see if zp_texlive_finish.dash completes under
> scallywag and also whether the package builds with just those packages.

Why do you need explicit texlive build dependencies at all?  If what you really
need is docbook-utils, you should just require it and let it pull in whatever
texlive collections are needed.  This should work now that I've fixed formatsextra.

Ken

* Re: scallywag zp_texlive_finish.dash failing exit code 2 rebuilding installed formats
@ 2021-08-24 17:17                   ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2021-08-24 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On 2021-08-24 08:57, Ken Brown via Cygwin-apps wrote:
> On 8/23/2021 8:26 PM, Brian Inglis wrote:

>>> OK, so docbook-utils definitely needs
>>> texlive-collection-formatsextra, which is what I hoped to avoid.  In
>>> that case, it's probably not worth checking whether it needs the
>>> other dependencies of texlive-collection-htmlxml.
>>> And jadetex needs texlive-collection-fontsrecommended for marvosym,
>>> so I need to fix the dependencies of
>>> texlive-collection-formatsextra.  I'll do that shortly.
>>
>> Thanks Ken
>>
>>> Thanks for reporting the problem.
>>
>> I will trim back the BUILD_REQUIRES to ...formatsextra (and
>> ...plaingeneric? for html?) without other additions to see if
>> zp_texlive_finish.dash completes under scallywag and also whether the
>> package builds with just those packages.
>
> Why do you need explicit texlive build dependencies at all?  If what you
> really need is docbook-utils, you should just require it and let it pull
> in whatever texlive collections are needed.  This should work now that
> I've fixed formatsextra.

With those fixed dependencies, I realise docbook-utils under scallywag
will pull in a lot of texlive collections, so I'll remove some
collections locally to check dependencies on underlying packages, rerun
zp_texlive_prep and zp_texlive_finish to ensure those still work, and
retry the build.

Specifiying explicit dependencies could possibly avoid this situation,
or at least provide pointers to the source of issues, in the future, if
texlive packaging and dependencies change again, improve robustness of
the build, provide documentation of that, and "for avoidance of doubt".

For example, as well as the component dependencies mentioned earlier,
docbook-utils cygport explicitly requires grep, perl, sed, despite those
currently being cygport dependencies, not mentioned in the docbook-utils
docs, and a perl module being required; all but perl are also currently
Base packages; similarly cygport explicitly requires those and other
Base packages, many script packages explicitly require bash, and other
packages explicitly require cygwin, although they are Base and essential
to everything.