public inbox for cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
* [HEADSUP] requires to obsolete Perl packages
@ 2015-08-01  9:25 Achim Gratz
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Achim Gratz @ 2015-08-01  9:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

There are a number of packages still requiring obsoleted Perl packages
that I want to delete now, so these setup.hint files need to be fixed.
Here is what I've found so far with a proposed replacement in
parenthesis.

perl_vendor (only on 32bit since it never existed on 64bit):
===========
pl, rpm-build				-remove-
docbook2X				(perl-XML-SAX)
fvwm, libglibmm2.4-devel, xmltoman	(perl-XML-Parser)
intltool, svn_load_dirs			(perl-URI)
snownews				(perl-XML-LibXML)
html2ps		(perl-HTTP-Cookies perl-HTTP-Message perl-libwww-perl)

perl-LWP
========
x86_64/html2ps				(perl-libwww-perl)

perl-Locale-gettext
===================

help2man				(perl-gettext)

Regards,
Achim.

DIY Stuff:
http://Synth.Stromeko.net/DIY.html

* Re: [HEADSUP] requires to obsolete Perl packages
@ 2015-09-26 10:07 ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2015-09-26 10:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Achim Gratz writes:
> There are a number of packages still requiring obsoleted Perl packages
> that I want to delete now, so these setup.hint files need to be fixed.
> Here is what I've found so far with a proposed replacement in
> parenthesis.
>

> perl_vendor (only on 32bit since it never existed on 64bit):
> ===========
> pl, rpm-build				-remove-
> docbook2X				(perl-XML-SAX)
> fvwm, libglibmm2.4-devel, xmltoman	(perl-XML-Parser)
> intltool, svn_load_dirs			(perl-URI)
> snownews				(perl-XML-LibXML)
> html2ps		(perl-HTTP-Cookies perl-HTTP-Message perl-libwww-perl)
>

> perl-LWP
> ========
> x86_64/html2ps				(perl-libwww-perl)
>

> perl-Locale-gettext
> ===================
>
> help2man				(perl-gettext)

Ping?

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: [HEADSUP] requires to obsolete Perl packages
@ 2015-11-24 18:52 ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2015-11-24 18:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Ping?

Achim Gratz writes:
> There are a number of packages still requiring obsoleted Perl packages
> that I want to delete now, so these setup.hint files need to be fixed.
> Here is what I've found so far with a proposed replacement in
> parenthesis.
>

> perl_vendor (only on 32bit since it never existed on 64bit):
> ===========
> docbook2X			(perl-XML-SAX)
> fvwm, xmltoman	        (perl-XML-Parser)
> intltool, svn_load_dirs	(perl-URI)
> snownews			(perl-XML-LibXML)
> html2ps	                (perl-HTTP-Cookies perl-HTTP-Message)
>

> perl-LWP
> ========
> html2ps               	(perl-libwww-perl)
>

> perl-Locale-gettext
> ===================
>
> help2man			(perl-gettext)

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: [HEADSUP] requires to obsolete Perl packages
@ 2015-12-17 16:23   ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2015-12-17 16:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Achim Gratz writes:
>> There are a number of packages still requiring obsoleted Perl packages
>> that I want to delete now, so these setup.hint files need to be fixed.
>> Here is what I've found so far with a proposed replacement in
>> parenthesis.
>>

>> perl_vendor (only on 32bit since it never existed on 64bit):
>> ===========
>> docbook2X			(perl-XML-SAX)
>> fvwm, xmltoman	        (perl-XML-Parser)
>> intltool, svn_load_dirs	(perl-URI)
>> snownews			(perl-XML-LibXML)
>> html2ps	                (perl-HTTP-Cookies perl-HTTP-Message)

This would be really helpful to do now that perl_vendor is gone...
Sorry, I didn't remember to check that yet another time.

>> perl-LWP
>> ========
>> html2ps               	(perl-libwww-perl)
>>

>> perl-Locale-gettext
>> ===================
>>
>> help2man			(perl-gettext)

These also so we can finally get rid of the obsoletion packages there,
too.

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: [HEADSUP] requires to obsolete Perl packages
@ 2015-12-17 16:32     ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2015-12-17 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Achim Gratz writes:
> Achim Gratz writes:
>>> There are a number of packages still requiring obsoleted Perl packages
>>> that I want to delete now, so these setup.hint files need to be fixed.
>>> Here is what I've found so far with a proposed replacement in
>>> parenthesis.
>>>

>>> perl_vendor (only on 32bit since it never existed on 64bit):
>>> ===========
>>> docbook2X			(perl-XML-SAX)
>>> fvwm, xmltoman	        (perl-XML-Parser)
>>> intltool, svn_load_dirs	(perl-URI)
>>> snownews			(perl-XML-LibXML)
>>> html2ps	                (perl-HTTP-Cookies perl-HTTP-Message)

libexo1_0                       (perl-URI)
pl                              (I have no idea where this even uses Perl)

Regards
Achim.

* Re: [HEADSUP] requires to obsolete Perl packages
@ 2015-12-17 17:03       ` Jon Turney
From: Jon Turney @ 2015-12-17 17:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps; +Cc: Achim Gratz

On 17/12/2015 16:32, Achim Gratz wrote:
> Achim Gratz writes:

> libexo1_0                       (perl-URI)
> pl                              (I have no idea where this even uses Perl)

Thanks for the list.

I've restored the upgrade helper perl_vendor until this can be resolved.

Please ping the individual package maintainers to get the hints fixed.

* Please fix your setup.hint files (was: [HEADSUP] requires to obsolete Perl packages)
@ 2015-12-17 18:28         ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2015-12-17 18:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

There are a number of packages still requiring obsoleted Perl packages
that I want to delete now, so these setup.hint files need to be fixed.
Here is what I've found so far with a proposed replacement in
parenthesis.

perl_vendor (only on 32bit since it never existed on 64bit):
===========
Yaakov Selkowitz    docbook2X                  (perl-XML-SAX)
Yaakov Selkowitz    fvwm, xmltoman             (perl-XML-Parser)
Yaakov Selkowitz    libexo1_0, svn_load_dirs   (perl-URI)
David Rothenberger  svn_load_dirs              (perl-URI)
Yaakov Selkowitz    snownews                   (perl-XML-LibXML)
Yaakov Selkowitz    html2ps                    (perl-HTTP-Cookies perl-HTTP-Message)
Corinna Vinschen    pl                         (probably spurious)

Remark: SWI Prolog doesn't compile from the source package.  The current
stable version 7.2.3 does with minimal changes to the cygport file (the
source archive and directory is now "swipl" instead of "pl") and removal
of the Cygwin specific patches (which might have been upstreamed).  Some
files are named differently and don't package into their sub-packages,
but the main package seems to depend on perl-JSON for whatever reason,
but I think that's a spurious match on "use JSON" (.pl is Prolog, not
Perl in this case).

Jon Turney writes:
> Please ping the individual package maintainers to get the hints fixed.

I'm still of the opinion that this list is the proper venue and all of
them have been active in the last few weeks, but I've added them on Bcc:
with the email addresses that they use for getting the mails from the
sourceware uploads anyway.

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: Please fix your setup.hint files (was: [HEADSUP] requires to obsolete Perl packages)
@ 2015-12-17 20:12           ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2015-12-17 20:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On Dec 17 19:27, Achim Gratz wrote:

> There are a number of packages still requiring obsoleted Perl packages
> that I want to delete now, so these setup.hint files need to be fixed.
> Here is what I've found so far with a proposed replacement in
> parenthesis.
>
> perl_vendor (only on 32bit since it never existed on 64bit):
> ===========
> Yaakov Selkowitz    docbook2X                  (perl-XML-SAX)
> Yaakov Selkowitz    fvwm, xmltoman             (perl-XML-Parser)
> Yaakov Selkowitz    libexo1_0, svn_load_dirs   (perl-URI)
> David Rothenberger  svn_load_dirs              (perl-URI)
> Yaakov Selkowitz    snownews                   (perl-XML-LibXML)
> Yaakov Selkowitz    html2ps                    (perl-HTTP-Cookies perl-HTTP-Message)
> Corinna Vinschen    pl                         (probably spurious)
>
> Remark: SWI Prolog doesn't compile from the source package.

It did when I created it.

> The current
> stable version 7.2.3 does with minimal changes to the cygport file (the
> source archive and directory is now "swipl" instead of "pl") and removal
> of the Cygwin specific patches (which might have been upstreamed).  Some
> files are named differently and don't package into their sub-packages,
> but the main package seems to depend on perl-JSON for whatever reason,
> but I think that's a spurious match on "use JSON" (.pl is Prolog, not
> Perl in this case).

Yes, it's spurious.  I removed the perl_vendor from setup.hint for now.
I don't intend to repackage SWI-Prolog for a while.

Hope that's ok,
Corinna

Red Hat

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 819 bytes --]

* Re: Please fix your setup.hint files
@ 2015-12-17 20:22             ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2015-12-17 20:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Corinna Vinschen writes:
>> Remark: SWI Prolog doesn't compile from the source package.
>
> It did when I created it.

Well, certainly.  :-)

> Yes, it's spurious.  I removed the perl_vendor from setup.hint for now.
> I don't intend to repackage SWI-Prolog for a while.

Thanks.

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: [HEADSUP] requires to obsolete Perl packages
@ 2016-01-29  6:24 ` Yaakov Selkowitz
From: Yaakov Selkowitz @ 2016-01-29  6:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On 2015-08-01 04:25, Achim Gratz wrote:
> There are a number of packages still requiring obsoleted Perl packages
> that I want to delete now, so these setup.hint files need to be fixed.
> Here is what I've found so far with a proposed replacement in
> parenthesis.

I fixed whatever was remaining on sourceware.  However, we CANNOT remove
the upgrade helpers, as there are (unfortunately) certain to be users
which have yet to upgrade their systems.

--
Yaakov

* Re: [HEADSUP] requires to obsolete Perl packages
@ 2016-01-29 19:13   ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2016-01-29 19:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Yaakov Selkowitz writes:
> I fixed whatever was remaining on sourceware.  However, we CANNOT
> remove the upgrade helpers, as there are (unfortunately) certain to be
> users which have yet to upgrade their systems.

Thank you very much.  As long as these are all obsolete I don't really
care.

Regards,
Achim.