public inbox for cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
* grep, dash, gzip
@ 2021-09-07 17:47 Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2021-09-07 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Brian,

did you actuallky changed anything on these releases vs. the previous
test releases?  IN principle it should have sufficed to just untest
these.

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: grep, gzip, readline, dash
@ 2021-09-08  3:08 ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2021-09-08  3:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On 2021-09-07 11:47, Achim Gratz wrote:
> did you actuallky changed anything on these releases vs. the previous
> test releases?  IN principle it should have sufficed to just untest
> these.

I can try that next time with dash (see below). From the setup extracts
below you can see that does not change the previous two releases kept.
I thought in recent discussion, stable releases had to be bumped to
replace test releases, so I did that with grep, where a test of a recent
release replaced an earlier test release, and readline:

	grep			3.7-2
                 version: 3.7-2
                 [test]
                 version: 3.6-1
                 [prev]
                 version: 3.0-1
                 [prev]
                 version: 3.0-2
                 [test]
                 version: 3.7-1

	libreadline-devel	8.1-2
	libreadline7		8.1-2
	readline-debuginfo	8.1-2

                 version: 8.1-2
                 [prev]
                 version: 7.0.1-2
                 [prev]
                 version: 7.0.3-3
                 [test]
                 version: 8.1-1

but gzip had a new recent release, mostly gnulib, autotools, NetBSD, IBM
Z390, and checked clean, so I released that as stable:

                 version: 1.11-1
                 [prev]
                 version: 1.7-2
                 [prev]
                 version: 1.8-1
                 [test]
                 version: 1.10-1

and a new dash was released, but as that's so critical to installs I'm
keeping that release also in test for another couple of weeks:

                 version: 0.5.9.1-1
                 [test]
                 version: 0.5.11.4-1
                 [prev]
                 version: 0.5.8-2
                 [prev]
                 version: 0.5.8-3
                 [test]
                 version: 0.5.11.5-1

and I use that as my production /bin/sh, which ensures it gets worked as
hard as bash by X launches, hourly and daily cron jobs, and scheduled
tasks.

* Re: grep, gzip, readline, dash
@ 2021-09-08  6:21   ` ASSI
From: ASSI @ 2021-09-08  6:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Brian Inglis writes:
> I can try that next time with dash (see below). From the setup
> extracts below you can see that does not change the previous two
> releases kept.

Yes, test and non-test releases are counted seperately.

> I thought in recent discussion, stable releases had to be bumped to
> replace test releases,

No.  When you determine that a test release should go stable, you just
remove the test designation from the hint files ("untest" command via
the upload ssh).  If you determine that it needs more work, then you
bump the release and remove the previous test release.

Regards,
Achim.