public inbox for cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
* [Bug] python-imaging
@ 2018-07-31 19:32 Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2018-07-31 19:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

The package python-imaging is obsolete and replaced by python2-imaging.
However, the directory structure in the repo still has python-imaging at
the toplevel and python2-imaging as a sub-package of that.  This should
be reversed so that python-imaging is a sub-package of python2-imaging
as all other obsoletions are structured.

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: [Bug] python-imaging
@ 2018-07-31 19:40 ` Yaakov Selkowitz
From: Yaakov Selkowitz @ 2018-07-31 19:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On Tue, 2018-07-31 at 21:32 +0200, Achim Gratz wrote:
> The package python-imaging is obsolete and replaced by python2-imaging.
> However, the directory structure in the repo still has python-imaging at
> the toplevel and python2-imaging as a sub-package of that.  This should
> be reversed so that python-imaging is a sub-package of python2-imaging
> as all other obsoletions are structured.

This is not a bug, and is how many other python-foo -> python2-foo
transitions are structured.  The source package (which is top-level) is
python-foo, and the subpackages are python{2,3}-foo.

--
Yaakov Selkowitz
Software Engineer - Platform Enablement Group

* Re: [Bug] python-imaging
@ 2018-07-31 20:05   ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2018-07-31 20:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Yaakov Selkowitz writes:
> On Tue, 2018-07-31 at 21:32 +0200, Achim Gratz wrote:
>> The package python-imaging is obsolete and replaced by python2-imaging.
>> However, the directory structure in the repo still has python-imaging at
>> the toplevel and python2-imaging as a sub-package of that.  This should
>> be reversed so that python-imaging is a sub-package of python2-imaging
>> as all other obsoletions are structured.
>
> This is not a bug, and is how many other python-foo -> python2-foo
> transitions are structured.  The source package (which is top-level) is
> python-foo, and the subpackages are python{2,3}-foo.

Well, if you want to play it that way (I still think that an obsolete
package should _never_ be at the top level poackage directory), then at
least there should be no python-imaging-debuginfo directory and probably
a python2-imaging-debuginfo in its place.  Or better yet, python-imaging
should not be obsolete, but rather an empty package that depends on
sibling package python2-imaging.

Regards,
Achim.