public inbox for cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
* attention alternatives maintainer
@ 2021-07-15 23:07 Doug Henderson
From: Doug Henderson @ 2021-07-15 23:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin Apps

Please update alternatives to work properly for a first time install
of an alternative when CYGWIN=winsymlinks:nativestrict.

See the recent thread on the cygwin mailing list with subject

Setup shows errors from gnuplot-base.dash and python38-devel.sh

In essence, when CYGWIN=winsymlinks:nativestrict., the first time it
runs, a postinstall script for a package that uses alternatives will
fail. Once it has succeeded once, it will subsequently run without
error.

In order to make it run I must set  CYGWIN=winsymlinks:native, run the
postinstall script in an elevated shell (or from setup). Then I can
restore CYGWIN=winsymlinks:nativestrict. I think the link target must
be created before the symlink is created. Without looking at the code,
I suspect the order of two symlink needs to be reversed.

The basis for the problem is the difference between POSIX and Windows
symlinks.As I understand it, Windows symlinks need to :"know" if the
target is a file or directory, while the POSIX symlink does not
require the target to exist.

Thanks,
Doug

--
Doug Henderson, Calgary, Alberta, Canada - from gmail.com

* Re: attention alternatives maintainer
@ 2021-07-16  1:56 ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2021-07-16  1:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On 7/15/2021 7:07 PM, Doug Henderson via Cygwin-apps wrote:
> Please update alternatives to work properly for a first time install
> of an alternative when CYGWIN=winsymlinks:nativestrict.

Cygwin doesn't have an alternatives maintainer.  Would you like to volunteer?
If so, start at

   https://cygwin.com/packages.html

and follow up on the cygwin-apps mailing list if you need help.

Ken

* Re: attention alternatives maintainer
@ 2021-07-16  1:58   ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2021-07-16  1:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On 7/15/2021 9:56 PM, Ken Brown via Cygwin-apps wrote:
> On 7/15/2021 7:07 PM, Doug Henderson via Cygwin-apps wrote:
>> Please update alternatives to work properly for a first time install
>> of an alternative when CYGWIN=winsymlinks:nativestrict.
>
> Cygwin doesn't have an alternatives maintainer.  Would you like to volunteer? If
> so, start at
>
>    https://cygwin.com/packages.html
>
> and follow up on the cygwin-apps mailing list if you need help.

Sorry, I see you're already a package maintainer, so you know how to do it.

Ken

* Re: attention alternatives maintainer
@ 2021-07-16  5:18 ` ASSI
From: ASSI @ 2021-07-16  5:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Doug Henderson via Cygwin-apps writes:
> Please update alternatives to work properly for a first time install
> of an alternative when CYGWIN=winsymlinks:nativestrict.

I do not think of this as a bug in alternatives.  POSIX programs that
create symlinks to non-existing files are perfectly valid and they don't
need to care whether they are pointing to files or directories either.
A dangling POSIX symlink resolves once its target comes into existence.

> In order to make it run I must set  CYGWIN=winsymlinks:native, run the
> postinstall script in an elevated shell (or from setup). Then I can
> restore CYGWIN=winsymlinks:nativestrict. I think the link target must
> be created before the symlink is created. Without looking at the code,
> I suspect the order of two symlink needs to be reversed.

No, setup should ignore the CYGWIN settings.  These are for the user,
not the installation.  I wouldn't mind if there was an option to force
this behaviour so people wanting to experiment with it can do it, but
then they have to deal with the inevitable fallout themselves.

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: attention alternatives maintainer
@ 2021-07-16 19:19   ` Doug Henderson
From: Doug Henderson @ 2021-07-16 19:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin Apps

On Thu, 15 Jul 2021 at 19:56, Ken Brown via Cygwin-apps
<cygwin-apps@cygwin.com> wrote:

> On 7/15/2021 7:07 PM, Doug Henderson via Cygwin-apps wrote:
> > Please update alternatives to work properly for a first time install
> > of an alternative when CYGWIN=winsymlinks:nativestrict.
>
> Cygwin doesn't have an alternatives maintainer.  Would you like to volunteer?
> If so, start at
>
>    https://cygwin.com/packages.html
>
> and follow up on the cygwin-apps mailing list if you need help.

I will volunteer to be the alternatives maintainer. I may need some
help, though.

The package has not been released for over 10 years, for cygwin 1.7, I
think. The download location is worse than 404, it is "We can’t
connect to the server at www.fastcoder".

I found what appears to be a Fedora repository on GitHub that is in
active development.

https://github.com/fedora-sysv/chkconfig

I'm getting ready to have a first look at the code. I think the
packaging will be more of a problem than the code revisions.

Doug

--

@ 2021-07-17  5:20     ` ASSI
From: ASSI @ 2021-07-17  5:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Doug Henderson via Cygwin-apps writes:
> I will volunteer to be the alternatives maintainer. I may need some
> help, though.

Appreciated.

> The package has not been released for over 10 years, for cygwin 1.7, I
> think. The download location is worse than 404, it is "We can’t
> connect to the server at www.fastcoder".

Yeah.  Plus, searching for "alternatives" is one of those things that
just doesn't work.

> I found what appears to be a Fedora repository on GitHub that is in
> active development.
>
> https://github.com/fedora-sysv/chkconfig
>
> I'm getting ready to have a first look at the code. I think the
> packaging will be more of a problem than the code revisions.

openSUSE has switched to Debian's dpkg which includes
update-alternatives as a utility:

https://build.opensuse.org/package/show/openSUSE%3AFactory/update-alternatives

Regards,
Achim.