public inbox for cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
* perl-Win32-GUI package doesn't appear in latest cygwin.
@ 2015-08-17 14:44 Javier Martin
From: Javier Martin @ 2015-08-17 14:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

     I have an application that is using perl-Win32-GUI and I have
just checked that this package cannot be installed with latest
setup-x86.exe and it doesn't appear in the list. Can you help me with
this ?, is it maybe automatically included in any other package I have
to install ?.

   Thanks a lot in advance.

* Re: perl-Win32-GUI package doesn't appear in latest cygwin.
@ 2015-08-17 15:08 ` Marco Atzeri
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2015-08-17 15:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On 17/08/2015 16:44, Javier Martin wrote:
>       I have an application that is using perl-Win32-GUI and I have
> just checked that this package cannot be installed with latest
> setup-x86.exe and it doesn't appear in the list. Can you help me with
> this ?, is it maybe automatically included in any other package I have
> to install ?.
>
>     Thanks a lot in advance.

Removed during the last Perl 5.22 update
https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2015-05/msg00048.html

Regards
Marco

* Re: perl-Win32-GUI package doesn't appear in latest cygwin.
@ 2015-08-17 20:03 ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2015-08-17 20:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Javier Martin writes:
>      I have an application that is using perl-Win32-GUI and I have
> just checked that this package cannot be installed with latest
> setup-x86.exe and it doesn't appear in the list. Can you help me with
> this ?, is it maybe automatically included in any other package I have
> to install ?.

No, this package simply doesn't build, on both architectures and all
version from 1.06 to 1.12.  There's some missing rules in makefiles and
when you're past that you're getting compile errors someplace else.
I've not followed it down that rabbit hole any further.

Regards,
Achim.

Wavetables for the Waldorf Blofeld:

* Re: perl-Win32-GUI package doesn't appear in latest cygwin.
@ 2015-08-18  7:34   ` Javier Martin
From: Javier Martin @ 2015-08-18  7:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

  First of all thanks a lot for your answers. After reading this I
have a couple of questions:

- Is this going to be fixed and this package will be included again in
the near future ?

- Is is possible to install previous versions where this package was
included ?, how can I get this ? What is your suggestion about
applications that depend on particular cygwin versions/packages ?.
This is important because changes/problems like these ones can make
applications fail at a moment in time.

   Thanks again and regards.
   Javier.

@ 2015-08-18 17:39     ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2015-08-18 17:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Javier Martin writes:
>   First of all thanks a lot for your answers. After reading this I
> have a couple of questions:
>
> - Is this going to be fixed and this package will be included again in
> the near future ?

The package is orphaned.  Since you are here on this list, I think I
should remind you of this rule:

Do not subscribe if you are not interested in being a package maintainer.

Most of the Win32 family of modules don't compile or produce hard errors
on testing.  If you want to see them back in Cygwin, the very least you
can do is trying to fix some of those bugs and get those fixes upstream.

> - Is is possible to install previous versions where this package was
> included ?, how can I get this ?

At the moment it is still possible, but you'd have to downgrade
literally hundresds of packages.  There's the "Cygwin Time Machine", but
I don't know any details.  I recommend that you spend your time on
fixing win32::GUI instead.

> What is your suggestion about
> applications that depend on particular cygwin versions/packages ?

Nothing in Cygwin depends on that package.

> This is important because changes/problems like these ones can make
> applications fail at a moment in time.

If your application depends on specific things in Cygwin, you'll need to
devise a deployment strategy and integration tests that fits your
requirements.

Regards,
Achim.