public inbox for cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
* Is it possible to 'cygport upload' with same p-v-r?
@ 2021-08-28  8:09 Mark Geisert
From: Mark Geisert @ 2021-08-28  8:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

HI all,B
I'd like to re-spin the latest version of cygutils, that is, upload newer
files with the same release number (1.4.16-5).  Is this possible, or do we
now always change the release# when uploading?
Thanks,

..mark

* Re: Is it possible to 'cygport upload' with same p-v-r?
@ 2021-08-28 10:09 ` Adam Dinwoodie
From: Adam Dinwoodie @ 2021-08-28 10:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Geisert; +Cc: cygwin-apps

On Sat, 28 Aug 2021 at 09:09, Mark Geisert <mark@maxrnd.com> wrote:

> HI all,B
> I'd like to re-spin the latest version of cygutils, that is, upload newer
> files with the same release number (1.4.16-5).  Is this possible, or do we
> now always change the release# when uploading?
> Thanks,

I'm pretty sure this isn't possible, and nor should it be. Once it has
been uploaded, people may have downloaded it. Without a change to at
least the release number, the setup programs won't know that they
should download and install the newer build.

* Re: Is it possible to 'cygport upload' with same p-v-r?
@ 2021-08-28 10:26 ` ASSI
From: ASSI @ 2021-08-28 10:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Mark Geisert writes:
> I'd like to re-spin the latest version of cygutils, that is, upload
> newer files with the same release number (1.4.16-5).  Is this
> possible, or do we now always change the release# when uploading?

Re-spin == re-release, so you need to increase the release number.

Test releases are releases too, the only difference is that users have
to actively opt-in to their installation.  You can only promote to
current (aka un-test) or release another version (after you've done that
you can delete the test version).  You could make a lower version
replace a test version that you want to delete (not sure how well tested
that is and what the various unofficial methods of installing Cygwin
would do in this case), but you can still not recycle the release number
you gave that test version.

Regards,
Achim.

Samples for the Waldorf Blofeld: