public inbox for cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
* [ITA] man-db
@ 2021-01-03 11:16 Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2021-01-03 11:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Update to version 2.9.3 and cleaning up patches.

Change packaging so that index creation can be triggered by installing
the man-db-create-index package.  Postinstall index update is done in
the background by default so it won't block setup from progressing
anymore, but can be made synchronous again if needed, via installation
of the man-db-index-synchronously package.

https://cygwin.com/git-cygwin-packages/?p=git/cygwin-packages/man-db.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/playground
https://ci.appveyor.com/project/cygwin/scallywag/builds/37084308

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: [ITA] man-db
@ 2021-01-03 15:01 ` Marco Atzeri
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2021-01-03 15:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On 03.01.2021 12:16, Achim Gratz wrote:

> Update to version 2.9.3 and cleaning up patches.
>

> Regards,
> Achim.

GTG

Thanks
Marco

* Re: [ITA] man-db
@ 2021-01-03 18:22   ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2021-01-03 18:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Marco Atzeri via Cygwin-apps writes:
> GTG

Btw, best I can tell Chris wasn't seen on the Cygwin list for over five
years and all updates since his initial package submission were done by
Yaakov.

Regards,
Achim.

* RE: [ITA] man-db
@ 2021-04-28 12:00 ` David Allsopp
From: David Allsopp @ 2021-04-28 12:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On 03 January 2021 11:17, Achim Gratz wrote:
> Update to version 2.9.3 and cleaning up patches.
>
> Change packaging so that index creation can be triggered by installing the
> man-db-create-index package.  Postinstall index update is done in the
> background by default so it won't block setup from progressing anymore,
> but can be made synchronous again if needed, via installation of the man-
> db-index-synchronously package.
>
> https://cygwin.com/git-cygwin-packages/?p=git/cygwin-packages/man-
> db.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/playground
> https://ci.appveyor.com/project/cygwin/scallywag/builds/37084308

(Apologies if this should go the main Cygwin list)

This version of the package removes the dependency on libiconv, which means that the base Cygwin install no longer includes the iconv command.

Was that an intentional consequence?

David

* Re: [ITA] man-db
@ 2021-04-28 18:38   ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2021-04-28 18:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

David Allsopp via Cygwin-apps writes:
> (Apologies if this should go the main Cygwin list)

It probably should have, but while you're here…

> This version of the package removes the dependency on libiconv, which
> means that the base Cygwin install no longer includes the iconv
> command.
>
> Was that an intentional consequence?

These are at least two separate concerns.

There does not seem to be any dependence of man-db on libiconv, so I
dropped it off the list of dependencies.  That may have been a false
negative since libiconv is unusual in that it also packages a binary and
not just a DLL dependence.  I will check that again when I find the
time.

If the iconv command should be available in a base install, then it
needs to be part of category Base and not rely on whatever dependency
that pulls it in by chance.

Regards,
Achim.

Wavetables for the Terratec KOMPLEXER: