public inbox for cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
* scallywag cygport fails to detect perl script runtime dependencies
@ 2022-03-11 17:50 Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2022-03-11 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Does cygport require perl modules to be installed as build dependencies
in order to enable their detection as runtime dependencies for perl
scripts in packages?

* Re: scallywag cygport fails to detect perl script runtime dependencies
@ 2022-03-12 12:56 ` Jon Turney
From: Jon Turney @ 2022-03-12 12:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brian Inglis, cygwin-apps

On 11/03/2022 17:50, Brian Inglis wrote:
> Does cygport require perl modules to be installed as build dependencies
> in order to enable their detection as runtime dependencies for perl
> scripts in packages?

Yes.

See __list_deps in pkg_info.cygpart

I don't know how we could traverse from module to package otherwise
(other interpreted languages e.g. python, etc., generally have the same
issue).

I don't see this a huge problem, as these dependencies would probably
need to be installed to run tests, if the package has any.

* Re: scallywag cygport fails to detect perl script runtime dependencies
@ 2022-03-12 16:23 ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2022-03-12 16:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Brian Inglis writes:
> Does cygport require perl modules to be installed as build
> dependencies in order to enable their detection as runtime
> dependencies for perl scripts in packages?

Yes, although the particular way of how this is done frequently produces
false dependencies (there is no distinction between optional and
required dependencies).  In principe you could also end up with missed
dependencies, although I know of no example for this.

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: scallywag cygport fails to detect perl script runtime dependencies
@ 2022-03-12 16:49   ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2022-03-12 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On 2022-03-12 05:56, Jon Turney wrote:
> On 11/03/2022 17:50, Brian Inglis wrote:
>> Does cygport require perl modules to be installed as build
>> dependencies in order to enable their detection as runtime
>> dependencies for perl scripts in packages?

> Yes.
> See __list_deps in pkg_info.cygpart

Saw that under 'check_prog\sperl'.

> I don't know how we could traverse from module to package otherwise
> (other interpreted languages e.g. python, etc., generally have the same
> issue).

So we need to do this for all interpreted language scripts with language
module dependencies supported in cygport.

> I don't see this a huge problem, as these dependencies would probably
> need to be installed to run tests, if the package has any.

True: good point; ta!