public inbox for cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
* [ITP] cygscript
@ 2017-03-30  5:54 Joni Eskelinen
From: Joni Eskelinen @ 2017-03-30  5:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Dear maintainers,

Cygscript is an utility program allowing to register file types to be
executed in Cygwin when double clicked from File Explorer or when a file
is dragged and dropped to a registered file type.

Any file type can be registered. Scripts are executed with bash in
MinTTY terminal. Windows paths passed as arguments (eg. when dragged and
dropped) are automatically detected and translated to POSIX paths.
Please see the github page for further details.

This application is not included in any other distro, so i reckon a vote
must be first passed.

I am the sole developer and maintainer of the project at the moment.

The source is released under MIT License.

Homepage:
https://github.com/sop/cygscript

Packages:
http://eske.fi/cygscript/

# cygscript-1.0.2-1.hint
category: Utils
requires: cygwin libgcc1 libstdc++6 mintty bash
sdesc: "Run shell scripts from Windows File Explorer"
ldesc: "A helper program allowing to register an extension (eg. .sh)
to be executed in Cygwin by double-clicking a file from Windows File
Explorer
or by dragging and dropping files to an icon of a registered extension."

Thanks,
  Joni

* Re: [ITP] cygscript
@ 2017-04-19 17:00 ` Jon Turney
From: Jon Turney @ 2017-04-19 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps; +Cc: Joni Eskelinen

On 30/03/2017 06:54, Joni Eskelinen wrote:
> Dear maintainers,
>
> Cygscript is an utility program allowing to register file types to be
> executed in Cygwin when double clicked from File Explorer or when a file
> is dragged and dropped to a registered file type.
>
> Any file type can be registered. Scripts are executed with bash in
> MinTTY terminal. Windows paths passed as arguments (eg. when dragged and
> dropped) are automatically detected and translated to POSIX paths.

Thank you for your patience and sorry about the delay.

Nice work.  I'm kind of surprised we don't have something like this already.

How attached are you to the name?  I know this is not a concept which
lends itself easily to a short name, but perhaps something which makes
the purpose a little more obvious is possible?

> Please see the github page for further details.

It would be nice if there was a manpage included in the package.

> This application is not included in any other distro, so i reckon a vote
> must be first passed.

+1

@ 2017-04-20  5:24   ` Joni Eskelinen
From: Joni Eskelinen @ 2017-04-20  5:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps; +Cc: Jon Turney

On 19.4.2017 20.00, Jon Turney wrote:
> On 30/03/2017 06:54, Joni Eskelinen wrote:
>> Dear maintainers,
>>
>> Cygscript is an utility program allowing to register file types to be
>> executed in Cygwin when double clicked from File Explorer or when a file
>> is dragged and dropped to a registered file type.
>>
>> Any file type can be registered. Scripts are executed with bash in
>> MinTTY terminal. Windows paths passed as arguments (eg. when dragged and
>> dropped) are automatically detected and translated to POSIX paths.
>
> Thank you for your patience and sorry about the delay.
>
> Nice work.  I'm kind of surprised we don't have something like this
> already.

Thanks! I'm surprised too, since there's a lot of kinda hackish Windows
batch file solutions that are not generic nor easy to install.
TBH i'd rather see this feature implemented as a part of MinTTY.

> How attached are you to the name?  I know this is not a concept which
> lends itself easily to a short name, but perhaps something which makes
> the purpose a little more obvious is possible?

I settled on cygscript after a few iterations, but it's trivial to
change at this point. It's hard to come up with something that is not
bulky. Although this not a command one has to type often, so it wouldn't
matter if it had a longer name. I'd gladly hear suggestions.

>> Please see the github page for further details.
>
> It would be nice if there was a manpage included in the package.

I'll write and bundle a manpage in the near future.

>> This application is not included in any other distro, so i reckon a vote
>> must be first passed.
>
> +1
>

>> I am the sole developer and maintainer of the project at the moment.
>>
>> The source is released under MIT License.
>>
>> Homepage:
>> https://github.com/sop/cygscript
>>
>> Packages:
>> http://eske.fi/cygscript/
>>
>> # cygscript-1.0.2-1.hint
>> category: Utils
>> requires: cygwin libgcc1 libstdc++6 mintty bash
>> sdesc: "Run shell scripts from Windows File Explorer"
>> ldesc: "A helper program allowing to register an extension (eg. .sh)
>> to be executed in Cygwin by double-clicking a file from Windows File
>> Explorer
>> or by dragging and dropping files to an icon of a registered extension."

* Re: [ITP] cygregext (formerly cygscript)
@ 2017-04-28  8:08     ` Joni Eskelinen
From: Joni Eskelinen @ 2017-04-28  8:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Hi all,

I've renamed cygscript as proposed. Hopefully cygregext conveys its
purpose more clearly. A man page has also been added.

Repository has been moved to https://github.com/sop/cygregext.
Packages are available for inspection at http://eske.fi/cygregext/.

@ 2017-04-28 20:30       ` Marco Atzeri
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2017-04-28 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On 28/04/2017 10:08, Joni Eskelinen wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've renamed cygscript as proposed. Hopefully cygregext conveys its
> purpose more clearly. A man page has also been added.

>>> +1

+1

Regards
Marco

* Re: [ITP] cygregext (formerly cygscript)
@ 2017-04-28 20:46       ` Eric Blake
From: Eric Blake @ 2017-04-28 20:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

(https://cygwin.com/acronyms/#TOFU)

> I've renamed cygscript as proposed. Hopefully cygregext conveys its
> purpose more clearly. A man page has also been added.

My first read was 'cygwin regular-expressions t'.  Maybe a slight tweak
to cygextreg (for cygwin extension registration) keeps the same length
but with less confusion with an already well-used abbreviation?

>>> Nice work.  I'm kind of surprised we don't have something like this
>>> already.

>>> +1

At any rate, I'm also +1 for inclusion, whether or not you take my
naming suggestion.

--
Eric Blake, Principal Software Engineer
Red Hat, Inc.           +1-919-301-3266

* Re: [ITP] cygregext (formerly cygscript)
@ 2017-04-29 11:54         ` Jon Turney
From: Jon Turney @ 2017-04-29 11:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps; +Cc: Joni Eskelinen

On 28/04/2017 21:46, Eric Blake wrote:
> On 04/28/2017 03:08 AM, Joni Eskelinen wrote:
>> Hi all,
>
>> I've renamed cygscript as proposed. Hopefully cygregext conveys its
>> purpose more clearly. A man page has also been added.
>
> My first read was 'cygwin regular-expressions t'.  Maybe a slight tweak
> to cygextreg (for cygwin extension registration) keeps the same length
> but with less confusion with an already well-used abbreviation?

This makes sense to me, but it's your choice.

> At any rate, I'm also +1 for inclusion, whether or not you take my
> naming suggestion.

Please provide a ssh key as per https://cygwin.com/package-upload.html

* Re: [ITP] cygregext (formerly cygscript)
@ 2017-05-03  6:13           ` Joni Eskelinen
From: Joni Eskelinen @ 2017-05-03  6:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On 29.4.2017 14.54, Jon Turney wrote:
> On 28/04/2017 21:46, Eric Blake wrote:
>> On 04/28/2017 03:08 AM, Joni Eskelinen wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>
>>> I've renamed cygscript as proposed. Hopefully cygregext conveys its
>>> purpose more clearly. A man page has also been added.
>>
>> My first read was 'cygwin regular-expressions t'.  Maybe a slight tweak
>> to cygextreg (for cygwin extension registration) keeps the same length
>> but with less confusion with an already well-used abbreviation?
>
> This makes sense to me, but it's your choice.

Thanks for your input. I've renamed the command to cygextreg, hopefully
for the last time for now :). TBH i wasn't really happy with the ring of
'regex' in cygregext, so this is definitely better.

>> At any rate, I'm also +1 for inclusion, whether or not you take my
>> naming suggestion.
>
> Please provide a ssh key as per https://cygwin.com/package-upload.html

I'll proceed with a request.