public inbox for cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
* Automatic announcement generation by calm
@ 2024-01-07 16:12 Jon Turney
From: Jon Turney @ 2024-01-07 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

This is an experimental facility, currently only available for packages
deployed from the build service [1] (that is, not for self-built
packages uploaded with 'cygport up' via sftp)

When the token "announce" is present for a build job (in addition to
"deploy"), after a successful deploy, calm will automatically generate
and send an announce email.

The mail follows a similar format to that generated by "cygport
announce", containing a list of packages and the description, with the
following addition:

* If the cygport defines the variable "ANNOUNCE", it's evaluated
contents will be appended to the generated mail.

* Otherwise, if the source package contains an ANNOUNCE file [2], it's
contents will be appended.

* Otherwise, if the source package contains a README or ${PN}.README
file, lines that look like part of a changelog, between one starting
with '---- ${PVR}' and the next starting '----', will be extracted and
appended

(None of these seem like a particularly great way of doing things, but
they match some historical patterns.  As always, suggestions about
improvements are welcome.)

In accordance with our long-standing policy of treating maintainer email
addresses as private information, the mail is sent from cygwin-no-reply
and bcc'ed to the uploader.

For testing purposes, if the token "mock" (yes, I am running out of
synonyms for "test"...) is also present, the mail will be only sent to
the uploader, not the announce list.

[1] https://cygwin.com/packaging/build.html
[2] Note that this isn't currently part of the default value of
CYGWIN_FILES [3], so needs to be explicitly listed there to be included
in the source package
[3] https://cygwin.github.io/cygport/src_prep_cygpart.html#CYGWIN_FILES

* Re: Automatic announcement generation by calm
@ 2024-01-08 12:35 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2024-01-08 12:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On Jan  7 16:12, Jon Turney via Cygwin-apps wrote:
> This is an experimental facility, currently only available for packages
> deployed from the build service [1] (that is, not for self-built packages
> uploaded with 'cygport up' via sftp)
>
> When the token "announce" is present for a build job (in addition to
> "deploy"), after a successful deploy, calm will automatically generate and
> send an announce email.
>
> The mail follows a similar format to that generated by "cygport announce",
> containing a list of packages and the description, with the following
> addition:
>
> * If the cygport defines the variable "ANNOUNCE", it's evaluated contents
> will be appended to the generated mail.
>
> * Otherwise, if the source package contains an ANNOUNCE file [2], it's
> contents will be appended.
>
> * Otherwise, if the source package contains a README or ${PN}.README file,
> lines that look like part of a changelog, between one starting with '----
> ${PVR}' and the next starting '----', will be extracted and appended
>
> (None of these seem like a particularly great way of doing things, but they
> match some historical patterns.  As always, suggestions about improvements
> are welcome.)
>

> In accordance with our long-standing policy of treating maintainer email
> addresses as private information, the mail is sent from cygwin-no-reply and
> bcc'ed to the uploader.
>

> For testing purposes, if the token "mock" (yes, I am running out of synonyms
> for "test"...) is also present, the mail will be only sent to the uploader,
> not the announce list.
>

> [1] https://cygwin.com/packaging/build.html
> [2] Note that this isn't currently part of the default value of CYGWIN_FILES
> [3], so needs to be explicitly listed there to be included in the source
> package
> [3] https://cygwin.github.io/cygport/src_prep_cygpart.html#CYGWIN_FILES

:+1:

Unfortunately I started the OpenSSH 9.6 build before reading this here,
but that's some great addition.

Corinna

* Re: Automatic announcement generation by calm
@ 2024-01-08 13:01   ` Thomas Wolff
From: Thomas Wolff @ 2024-01-08 13:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Am 08/01/2024 um 13:35 schrieb Corinna Vinschen via Cygwin-apps:
> On Jan  7 16:12, Jon Turney via Cygwin-apps wrote:
>> This is an experimental facility, currently only available for packages
>> deployed from the build service [1] (that is, not for self-built packages
>> uploaded with 'cygport up' via sftp)
>>
>> When the token "announce" is present for a build job (in addition to
>> "deploy"), after a successful deploy, calm will automatically generate and
>> send an announce email.
>>
>> The mail follows a similar format to that generated by "cygport announce",
>> containing a list of packages and the description, with the following
>> addition:
>>
>> * If the cygport defines the variable "ANNOUNCE", it's evaluated contents
>> will be appended to the generated mail.
>>
>> * Otherwise, if the source package contains an ANNOUNCE file [2], it's
>> contents will be appended.
>>
>> * Otherwise, if the source package contains a README or ${PN}.README file,
>> lines that look like part of a changelog, between one starting with '----
>> ${PVR}' and the next starting '----', will be extracted and appended
>>
>> (None of these seem like a particularly great way of doing things, but they
>> match some historical patterns.  As always, suggestions about improvements
>> are welcome.)
>>

>> In accordance with our long-standing policy of treating maintainer email
>> addresses as private information, the mail is sent from cygwin-no-reply and
>> bcc'ed to the uploader.
>>

>> For testing purposes, if the token "mock" (yes, I am running out of synonyms
>> for "test"...) is also present, the mail will be only sent to the uploader,
>> not the announce list.
>>

>> [1] https://cygwin.com/packaging/build.html
>> [2] Note that this isn't currently part of the default value of CYGWIN_FILES
>> [3], so needs to be explicitly listed there to be included in the source
>> package
>> [3] https://cygwin.github.io/cygport/src_prep_cygpart.html#CYGWIN_FILES
> :+1:
>
> Unfortunately I started the OpenSSH 9.6 build before reading this here,
> but that's some great addition.
>
> Corinna
I'd also appreciate to prefix the mail with an "[ANNOUNCEMENT] " tag as
for the mails forwarded from cygwin-announcement to cygwin before that
was stopped, to enhance the overview in users' mailboxes.
Thomas

* Re: Automatic announcement generation by calm
@ 2024-01-08 13:42     ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2024-01-08 13:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On 2024-01-08 06:01, Thomas Wolff via Cygwin-apps wrote:
> Am 08/01/2024 um 13:35 schrieb Corinna Vinschen via Cygwin-apps:
>> On Jan  7 16:12, Jon Turney via Cygwin-apps wrote:
>>> This is an experimental facility, currently only available for packages
>>> deployed from the build service [1] (that is, not for self-built packages
>>> uploaded with 'cygport up' via sftp)
>>>
>>> When the token "announce" is present for a build job (in addition to
>>> "deploy"), after a successful deploy, calm will automatically generate and
>>> send an announce email.
>>>
>>> The mail follows a similar format to that generated by "cygport announce",
>>> containing a list of packages and the description, with the following
>>> addition:

Maybe also append:
	"
	For more information, see the project home page:

		$HOMEPAGE
	"

>>> * If the cygport defines the variable "ANNOUNCE", it's evaluated contents
>>> will be appended to the generated mail.

Evaluated how - cygport variable expansion - commands?

Could ANNOUNCE variable contain a source file name or a URI?

>>> * Otherwise, if the source package contains an ANNOUNCE file [2], it's
>>> contents will be appended.

Could ANNOUNCE be a symlink to $NAME-$PVR.$ARCH/origsrc/$SRC_DIR/NEWS?

>>> * Otherwise, if the source package contains a README or ${PN}.README file,
>>> lines that look like part of a changelog, between one starting with '----
>>> ${PVR}' and the next starting '----', will be extracted and appended
>>>
>>> (None of these seem like a particularly great way of doing things, but they
>>> match some historical patterns.  As always, suggestions about improvements
>>> are welcome.)
>>>

>>> In accordance with our long-standing policy of treating maintainer email
>>> addresses as private information, the mail is sent from cygwin-no-reply and
>>> bcc'ed to the uploader.

How about email headers:

	From: "Cygwin $NAME Maintainer" <cygwin-no-reply@cygwin.com>
	To: Cygwin Announcements <cygwin-announce@cygwin.com>
	Bcc: $SMTP_SENDER
	Subject: Updated: $NAME $PVR

>>> For testing purposes, if the token "mock" (yes, I am running out of synonyms
>>> for "test"...) is also present, the mail will be only sent to the uploader,
>>> not the announce list.
>>>

>>> [1] https://cygwin.com/packaging/build.html
>>> [2] Note that this isn't currently part of the default value of CYGWIN_FILES
>>> [3], so needs to be explicitly listed there to be included in the source
>>> package
>>> [3] https://cygwin.github.io/cygport/src_prep_cygpart.html#CYGWIN_FILES
>> :+1:
>>
>> Unfortunately I started the OpenSSH 9.6 build before reading this here,
>> but that's some great addition.

> I'd also appreciate to prefix the mail with an "[ANNOUNCEMENT] " tag as for the
> mails forwarded from cygwin-announcement to cygwin before that was stopped, to
> enhance the overview in users' mailboxes.

Spammy looking compared to "Updated: ..."?

Maybe also update cygport ... announce to be as close as possible to calm?

                                 -- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

* Re: Automatic announcement generation by calm
@ 2024-01-14 18:59       ` Jon Turney
From: Jon Turney @ 2024-01-14 18:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: cygwin-apps

On 08/01/2024 13:42, Brian Inglis via Cygwin-apps wrote:
> On 2024-01-08 06:01, Thomas Wolff via Cygwin-apps wrote:
>> Am 08/01/2024 um 13:35 schrieb Corinna Vinschen via Cygwin-apps:
>>> On Jan  7 16:12, Jon Turney via Cygwin-apps wrote:
[...]
> Maybe also append:
>      "
>      For more information, see the project home page:
>
>          $HOMEPAGE
>      "

Maybe.

I'm not sure how much value this adds, or the quality of the HOMEPAGE
information we currently have.

> Evaluated how - cygport variable expansion - commands?

This is evaluated using 'cygport vars', so yes, variables are expanded.

> Could ANNOUNCE variable contain a source file name or a URI?

No. Why would it need to do that when you can just use an ANNOUNCE file
instead.

A URI seems a bad idea, as it's mutable (and potentially unavailable).

> Could ANNOUNCE be a symlink to $NAME-$PVR.$ARCH/origsrc/$SRC_DIR/NEWS?

No. Don't do this. You should not assume the upstream source archive is
unpacked.

Furthermore, this specific example seems bad, as typically this contains
a historical list of changes, going back perhaps to the initial release.

If you find yourself wanting to write this, instead either arrange for
that NEWS file to be installed and write "for further information see
/usr/share/doc/FOO/NEWS', or point to it upstream.

There's currently no limit to the size of this mail (other than what the
list itself imposes). Don't make have to add one.

[...]
[example snipped]
How is this different from what it currently does?

[...]
>> I'd also appreciate to prefix the mail with an "[ANNOUNCEMENT] " tag
>> as for the mails forwarded from cygwin-announcement to cygwin before
>> that was stopped, to enhance the overview in users' mailboxes.
>
> Spammy looking compared to "Updated: ..."?

This seems to be actually a request to change the cygwin-announce
mailing list configuration, since presumably you want that on manually
sent package announces and other announcements.

Have you considered having your email client filter or highlight if the
'List-Id:' header contains 'cygwin-announce'.

> Maybe also update cygport ... announce to be as close as possible to calm?

I'm not going to do this because it's something I have no use for, but
if someone else wants to, PTC.