public inbox for cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
* cygport injects unexpected parameter
@ 2023-05-10  7:57 Thomas Wolff
From: Thomas Wolff @ 2023-05-10  7:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

I'm trying to build xterm 380 and got two problems in the cygport
compile step:

1.
*** ERROR: could not determine the autoconf version used to generate
./configure; perhaps set AUTOCONF_VERSION?

I don't know why a tool wants to be told its own version (or what's
going on) but the following line in xterm.cygport seems to help:
AUTOCONF_VERSION=$( autoconf --version | sed -e "s,.* ,," -e 1q )

2.
configure: error: unrecognized option: --docdir=/usr/share/doc/xterm

This seems to be injected by the cygconf function, and the package
configure script does not know it.

Thomas

* Re: cygport injects unexpected parameter
@ 2023-05-10 16:22 ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2023-05-10 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On 2023-05-10 01:57, Thomas Wolff via Cygwin-apps wrote:
> I'm trying to build xterm 380 and got two problems in the cygport compile step:
> 1.
> *** ERROR: could not determine the autoconf version used to generate
> ./configure; perhaps set AUTOCONF_VERSION?
> I don't know why a tool wants to be told its own version (or what's going on)
> but the following line in xterm.cygport seems to help:
> AUTOCONF_VERSION=$( autoconf --version | sed -e "s,.* ,," -e 1q )

As part of autoreconf, it tries to figure out what version of autoconf should be
used for configure.
Thomas Dickey uses his own autoconf package without a version definition.
For his Cygwin packages AUTOCONF_VERSION=2.52 tells autoconf to behave like his.

> 2.
> configure: error: unrecognized option: --docdir=/usr/share/doc/xterm
> This seems to be injected by the cygconf function, and the package configure
> script does not know it.

You could skip cygconf and run autoreconf ... then $S/configure with the other
--...dir and option variables required.

                                 -- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry