public inbox for cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
* cygport 0.36.2-1
@ 2023-04-13 16:20 Jon Turney
From: Jon Turney @ 2023-04-13 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

The following packages have been uploaded to the Cygwin distribution:

* cygport-0.36.1-1

cygport is the standard method for building and maintaining
packages for the Cygwin distribution.

Highlights of this release:

Stripping of executables is now parallelized.  With many cores, this can
result in a large speed up for packages with many executable files.
(Thanks to Achim Gratz)

Achim Gratz (1):
       lib/src_postinst.cygpart: parallelize __prepstrip

Brian Inglis (1):
       lib/src_fetch.cygpart: iterate thru mirror lists if downloads fail

Jon Turney (4):
       Try to turn case-sensitivity on for the working directory on Cygwin
       autotools: Update documented range of WANT_AUTOMAKE values
       Move creation of dbgsrc.out.0 before checking if RESTRICT
contains 'strip'
       Bump version to 0.36.2

Ken Brown (1):
       git: Try 'main' if there's no master branch

Marco Atzeri (1):
       python-wheel: Allow projects without setup.py or setup.cfg, only
pyproject.toml (PEP 518)

* Re: cygport 0.36.2-1
@ 2023-04-13 16:27 ` Jon Turney
From: Jon Turney @ 2023-04-13 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On 13/04/2023 17:20, Jon Turney via Cygwin-apps wrote:

> The following packages have been uploaded to the Cygwin distribution:
>
> * cygport-0.36.1-1

Oops. Wrong list. Sorry.

* Re: cygport 0.36.2-1
@ 2023-04-13 16:51   ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2023-04-13 16:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On 2023-04-13 10:27, Jon Turney via Cygwin-apps wrote:
> On 13/04/2023 17:20, Jon Turney via Cygwin-apps wrote:
>> The following packages have been uploaded to the Cygwin distribution:
>> * cygport-0.36.1-1

> Oops. Wrong list. Sorry.

No worries ;^>

While you're here, I just recently noticed that xargs has a flag:

	-P, --max-procs[ =]max-procs

so we can easily use `nproc`, $((`nproc`+1)) like make, or $((`nproc`-1)) to be
nice, to handle parallelizable commands on long lists of files, perhaps for
Preparing debuginfo source files?

                                 -- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

* Re: cygport 0.36.2-1
@ 2023-04-14 15:51     ` Jon Turney
From: Jon Turney @ 2023-04-14 15:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps, Brian Inglis

On 13/04/2023 17:51, Brian Inglis via Cygwin-apps wrote:
> On 2023-04-13 10:27, Jon Turney via Cygwin-apps wrote:
>> On 13/04/2023 17:20, Jon Turney via Cygwin-apps wrote:
>>> The following packages have been uploaded to the Cygwin distribution:
>>> * cygport-0.36.1-1
>
>> Oops. Wrong list. Sorry.
>
> No worries ;^>
>
> While you're here, I just recently noticed that xargs has a flag:
>
>      -P, --max-procs[ =]max-procs
>
> so we can easily use `nproc`, $((`nproc`+1)) like make, or
> $((`nproc`-1)) to be nice, to handle parallelizable commands on long
> lists of files, perhaps for Preparing debuginfo source files?

Perhaps.  I suspect that step maybe largely I/O bound, since I think it
mainly copies a lot of files. (maybe it doesn't need to, and hard links
would work just as well, idk)

Ideally, the first step in making some performance improvements would be
to actually profile the existing code in some way, to generate some
evidence which identifies places where effort would be best spent,
rather than randomly parallelizing whatever strikes your fancy... but
then again, I'm not working on it, so you can do whatever you like...