public inbox for cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
* Cygwin Git repos refusing push
@ 2022-10-04  7:55 Adam Dinwoodie
From: Adam Dinwoodie @ 2022-10-04  7:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

There's a hook on the Cygwin Git infrastructure that is refusing to
accept updated tags for the git package.  There's no explanation of why
the push is being rejected, but this worked four weeks ago when I pushed
v2.37.3-1, and is failing now.

I initially encountered the failure on the GitHub runners, but I see the
same behaviour when I attempt to reproduce the behaviour locally:

    $ git show v2.38.0-1
    tag v2.38.0-1
    Tagger: me-and <me-and@users.noreply.github.com>
    Date:   Mon Oct 3 22:40:46 2022 +0000

    v2.38.0-1

    commit 97e2629305827082566bd7d56fc9a0544b4603e7 (tag: v2.38.0-1, origin/next, origin/main, origin/HEAD)
    Merge: f3e0456 65b7884
    Author: Adam Dinwoodie <adam@dinwoodie.org>
    Date:   Mon Oct 3 19:18:59 2022 +0100

        Merge branch 'v2.38.0'

    $ git remote -v
    cygwin  https://cygwin.com/git/cygwin-packages/git.git (fetch)
    cygwin  cygwin@cygwin.com:git/cygwin-packages/git.git (push)
    origin  https://github.com/me-and/Cygwin-Git (fetch)
    origin  https://github.com/me-and/Cygwin-Git (push)

    $ git push cygwin v2.38.0-1
    Enumerating objects: 10, done.
    Counting objects: 100% (10/10), done.
    Delta compression using up to 4 threads
    Compressing objects: 100% (8/8), done.
    Writing objects: 100% (8/8), 762 bytes | 381.00 KiB/s, done.
    Total 8 (delta 6), reused 0 (delta 0), pack-reused 0
    remote: FATAL: W refs/tags/v2.38.0-1 git/cygwin-packages/git Adam_Dinwoodie DENIED by fallthru
    remote: error: hook declined to update refs/tags/v2.38.0-1
    To cygwin.com:git/cygwin-packages/git.git
     ! [remote rejected] v2.38.0-1 -> v2.38.0-1 (hook declined)
    error: failed to push some refs to 'cygwin.com:git/cygwin-packages/git.git'

Is this a bug in the server side hooks, or have I missed some expected
change in behaviour here?  It's not a big deal -- I'm not using the
Cygwin Git infrastructure for anything other than discoverability, and
my working repositories are the ones on GitHub -- but if nothing else
I'd like to know if I've inadvertently broken something!

Adam

* Re: Cygwin Git repos refusing push
@ 2022-10-04 12:28 ` Jon Turney
From: Jon Turney @ 2022-10-04 12:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam Dinwoodie, cygwin-apps

On 04/10/2022 08:55, Adam Dinwoodie wrote:
> There's a hook on the Cygwin Git infrastructure that is refusing to
> accept updated tags for the git package.  There's no explanation of why
> the push is being rejected, but this worked four weeks ago when I pushed
> v2.37.3-1, and is failing now.
[...]
>      $ git push cygwin v2.38.0-1
>      Enumerating objects: 10, done.
>      Counting objects: 100% (10/10), done.
>      Delta compression using up to 4 threads
>      Compressing objects: 100% (8/8), done.
>      Writing objects: 100% (8/8), 762 bytes | 381.00 KiB/s, done.
>      Total 8 (delta 6), reused 0 (delta 0), pack-reused 0
>      remote: FATAL: W refs/tags/v2.38.0-1 git/cygwin-packages/git Adam_Dinwoodie DENIED by fallthru
>      remote: error: hook declined to update refs/tags/v2.38.0-1
>      To cygwin.com:git/cygwin-packages/git.git
>       ! [remote rejected] v2.38.0-1 -> v2.38.0-1 (hook declined)
>      error: failed to push some refs to 'cygwin.com:git/cygwin-packages/git.git'
>
> Is this a bug in the server side hooks, or have I missed some expected
> change in behaviour here?  It's not a big deal -- I'm not using the

Thanks for reporting this.

A few weeks ago, I made a change to prevent pushes to branches which
don't have a defined role in our scheme (i.e anything not 'master' or
'playground'), and accidentally prevented tags from being pushed as well.

I've adjusted the gitolite configuration so this should work again.

In passing, I notice that this repo doesn't have a master branch, only
tags, as that has never been pushed to, which may or may not be what you
intended.

* Re: Cygwin Git repos refusing push
@ 2022-10-04 14:02   ` Adam Dinwoodie
From: Adam Dinwoodie @ 2022-10-04 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jon Turney; +Cc: cygwin-apps

On Tue, Oct 04, 2022 at 01:28:27PM +0100, Jon Turney wrote:
> On 04/10/2022 08:55, Adam Dinwoodie wrote:
> > There's a hook on the Cygwin Git infrastructure that is refusing to
> > accept updated tags for the git package.  There's no explanation of why
> > the push is being rejected, but this worked four weeks ago when I pushed
> > v2.37.3-1, and is failing now.
> [...]
> >      $ git push cygwin v2.38.0-1
> >      Enumerating objects: 10, done.
> >      Counting objects: 100% (10/10), done.
> >      Delta compression using up to 4 threads
> >      Compressing objects: 100% (8/8), done.
> >      Writing objects: 100% (8/8), 762 bytes | 381.00 KiB/s, done.
> >      Total 8 (delta 6), reused 0 (delta 0), pack-reused 0
> >      remote: FATAL: W refs/tags/v2.38.0-1 git/cygwin-packages/git Adam_Dinwoodie DENIED by fallthru
> >      remote: error: hook declined to update refs/tags/v2.38.0-1
> >      To cygwin.com:git/cygwin-packages/git.git
> >       ! [remote rejected] v2.38.0-1 -> v2.38.0-1 (hook declined)
> >      error: failed to push some refs to 'cygwin.com:git/cygwin-packages/git.git'
> >
> > Is this a bug in the server side hooks, or have I missed some expected
> > change in behaviour here?  It's not a big deal -- I'm not using the
>
> Thanks for reporting this.
>
> A few weeks ago, I made a change to prevent pushes to branches which don't
> have a defined role in our scheme (i.e anything not 'master' or
> 'playground'), and accidentally prevented tags from being pushed as well.
>
> I've adjusted the gitolite configuration so this should work again.

Would it be possible to add some output to the hooks to provide a useful
explanation for what's going on?  I think anything a hook prints to
stdout or stderr will be seen by the user in the `git push` output, and
something a bit more informative than "DENIED" would be nice!

It's not a big issue either way, but having a more informative output in
this case might have saved me a bit of time trying to ensure the problem
was genuinely on the server and not just that I was doing something
daft.

> In passing, I notice that this repo doesn't have a master branch, only tags,
> as that has never been pushed to, which may or may not be what you intended.

It's intended; the aim is that folk looking for repositories with
packaging code can find them in the common location that's linked from
the Cygwin website, but without giving the impression that those are
the primary repositories.  I'm just using them as a mirror for the
actually released code, with the primary repository living on GitHub.

* Re: Cygwin Git repos refusing push
@ 2022-10-08 13:12     ` Jon Turney
From: Jon Turney @ 2022-10-08 13:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps, Adam Dinwoodie

On 04/10/2022 15:02, Adam Dinwoodie wrote:
[...]
>> I've adjusted the gitolite configuration so this should work again.
>
> Would it be possible to add some output to the hooks to provide a useful
> explanation for what's going on?  I think anything a hook prints to
> stdout or stderr will be seen by the user in the `git push` output, and
> something a bit more informative than "DENIED" would be nice!

This is not totally straightforward, as this hook is part of, and
managed by, gitolite.

> It's not a big issue either way, but having a more informative output in
> this case might have saved me a bit of time trying to ensure the problem
> was genuinely on the server and not just that I was doing something
> daft.

Do you have a suggestion as to what else the hook should say?

* Re: Cygwin Git repos refusing push
@ 2022-10-08 13:23       ` Adam Dinwoodie
From: Adam Dinwoodie @ 2022-10-08 13:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On Sat, 8 Oct 2022 at 14:12, Jon Turney wrote:

> On 04/10/2022 15:02, Adam Dinwoodie wrote:
> [...]
> >>
> >> I've adjusted the gitolite configuration so this should work again.
> >
> > Would it be possible to add some output to the hooks to provide a useful
> > explanation for what's going on?  I think anything a hook prints to
> > stdout or stderr will be seen by the user in the `git push` output, and
> > something a bit more informative than "DENIED" would be nice!
>
> This is not totally straightforward, as this hook is part of, and
> managed by, gitolite.
>
> > It's not a big issue either way, but having a more informative output in
> > this case might have saved me a bit of time trying to ensure the problem
> > was genuinely on the server and not just that I was doing something
> > daft.
>
> Do you have a suggestion as to what else the hook should say?

Something to the effect of "This server does not permit pushing to any
branch other than 'master' or 'playground'" would have made it clearer
what was going on, at least for me. But as I say, if it's difficult to
do, it's not a big deal!