public inbox for cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
* ssh key / upload problem on new PC
@ 2021-03-16 11:24 Thomas Wolff
From: Thomas Wolff @ 2021-03-16 11:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Hi,
I'm about to upload mintty 3.4.7 but I'm getting a "Host key
verification failed." error.
Trying this on a new machine; I copied the whole ~/.ssh folder from my
old machine, something that used to work in the past. It still works
from the old machine (as confirmed by fallback for uploading mintty 3.4.6).
Does anybody have an idea what might be going wrong? Do I need a new ssh
key? (But porting the key worked before...)
Thanks
Thomas

* Re: ssh key / upload problem on new PC
@ 2021-03-16 11:28 ` Adam Dinwoodie
From: Adam Dinwoodie @ 2021-03-16 11:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On Tue, 16 Mar 2021 at 11:25, Thomas Wolff wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm about to upload mintty 3.4.7 but I'm getting a "Host key
> verification failed." error.
> Trying this on a new machine; I copied the whole ~/.ssh folder from my
> old machine, something that used to work in the past. It still works
> from the old machine (as confirmed by fallback for uploading mintty 3.4.6).
> Does anybody have an idea what might be going wrong? Do I need a new ssh
> key? (But porting the key worked before...)

What happens if you do `ssh cygwin@cygwin.com`? That'll normally point
out what the error is. I expect either (a) you've managed to not copy
over your `.ssh/known_hosts` file somehow, or (b) some of the files
you've copied over have the wrong permissions; my money's on the
latter. If so, `chmod 600 ~/.ssh/*; chmod 700 ~/.ssh` will normally
get things going again.

Adam

* Re: ssh key / upload problem on new PC
@ 2021-03-16 11:57   ` Thomas Wolff
From: Thomas Wolff @ 2021-03-16 11:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Am 16.03.2021 um 12:28 schrieb Adam Dinwoodie:
> On Tue, 16 Mar 2021 at 11:25, Thomas Wolff wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I'm about to upload mintty 3.4.7 but I'm getting a "Host key
>> verification failed." error.
>> Trying this on a new machine; I copied the whole ~/.ssh folder from my
>> old machine, something that used to work in the past. It still works
>> from the old machine (as confirmed by fallback for uploading mintty 3.4.6).
>> Does anybody have an idea what might be going wrong? Do I need a new ssh
>> key? (But porting the key worked before...)
> What happens if you do `ssh cygwin@cygwin.com`? That'll normally point
> out what the error is. I expect either (a) you've managed to not copy
> over your `.ssh/known_hosts` file somehow, or (b) some of the files
> you've copied over have the wrong permissions; my money's on the
> latter. If so, `chmod 600 ~/.ssh/*; chmod 700 ~/.ssh` will normally
> get things going again.
It was rather (a) which got fixed by ssh. Thanks a lot.
Thomas