public inbox for cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
* [ITA] openssl, openssl10, mingw64-{i686,x86_64}-openssl
@ 2021-11-28  9:07 Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2021-11-28  9:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

As I wrote about a month ago:

https://sourceware.org/pipermail/cygwin-apps/2021-October/041632.html
https://sourceware.org/pipermail/cygwin-apps/2021-November/041651.html

I have updated the recently released Cygwin packages with all upstream
patches from Fedora plus the patches for all CVE affecting version 1.0.2
since the last official version and changed the cygport files so they
build on AppVeyor.  The packages have been pushed to the respective
playground branches:

https://cygwin.com/git-cygwin-packages?p=git/cygwin-packages/openssl10.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/playground
https://cygwin.com/git-cygwin-packages?p=git/cygwin-packages/openssl.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/playground

For the MinGW64 packages the current plan (based on the previous
discussion) is to update them with the 1.0.2 version and provide the
1.1.1 version (without renaming the packages or introducing any new
package names) as a test version only.  This means that the existing
packages depending on mingw64-{i686,x86_64}-openssl will still work
correctly, but can be rebuilt using the 1.1.1 version by chosing the
test version (whatever the likelyhood of that actually happening is).

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: [ITA] openssl, openssl10, mingw64-{i686,x86_64}-openssl
@ 2021-11-28  9:22 ` Marco Atzeri
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2021-11-28  9:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On 28.11.2021 10:07, Achim Gratz wrote:

> As I wrote about a month ago:
>
> https://sourceware.org/pipermail/cygwin-apps/2021-October/041632.html
> https://sourceware.org/pipermail/cygwin-apps/2021-November/041651.html
>
> I have updated the recently released Cygwin packages with all upstream
> patches from Fedora plus the patches for all CVE affecting version 1.0.2
> since the last official version and changed the cygport files so they
> build on AppVeyor.  The packages have been pushed to the respective
> playground branches:
>
> https://cygwin.com/git-cygwin-packages?p=git/cygwin-packages/openssl10.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/playground
> https://cygwin.com/git-cygwin-packages?p=git/cygwin-packages/openssl.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/playground
>
> For the MinGW64 packages the current plan (based on the previous
> discussion) is to update them with the 1.0.2 version and provide the
> 1.1.1 version (without renaming the packages or introducing any new
> package names) as a test version only.  This means that the existing
> packages depending on mingw64-{i686,x86_64}-openssl will still work
> correctly, but can be rebuilt using the 1.1.1 version by chosing the
> test version (whatever the likelyhood of that actually happening is).
>

> Regards,
> Achim.

no problem for the 3 orphaned, but we should ask Corinna about openssl

$ grep openssl cygwin-pkg-maint
glib2.0-openssl                              ORPHANED (Yaakov Selkowitz)
mingw64-i686-openssl                         ORPHANED (Yaakov Selkowitz)
mingw64-x86_64-openssl                       ORPHANED (Yaakov Selkowitz)
openssl                                      Corinna Vinschen
openssl10                                    ORPHANED (Yaakov Selkowitz)
python-openssl                               Marco Atzeri

Regards
Marco

* Re: [ITA] openssl, openssl10, mingw64-{i686,x86_64}-openssl
@ 2021-11-28  9:43   ` ASSI
From: ASSI @ 2021-11-28  9:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Marco Atzeri via Cygwin-apps writes:
> no problem for the 3 orphaned, but we should ask Corinna about openssl

She's said numerous times that she doesn't really want it… I wouldn't
mind to just co-maintain in any case.

@ 2021-11-28 10:09 ` gs-cygwin.com
From: gs-cygwin.com @ 2021-11-28 10:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Achim Gratz; +Cc: cygwin-apps

On Sun, Nov 28, 2021 at 10:07:55AM +0100, Achim Gratz wrote:

> [...]
> For the MinGW64 packages the current plan (based on the previous
> discussion) is to update them with the 1.0.2 version and provide the
> 1.1.1 version (without renaming the packages or introducing any new
> package names) as a test version only.  This means that the existing
> packages depending on mingw64-{i686,x86_64}-openssl will still work
> correctly, but can be rebuilt using the 1.1.1 version by chosing the
> test version (whatever the likelyhood of that actually happening is).

FWIW, I have been using the cygwin-provided MinGW64 environment for
porting lighttpd to native Windows.  It is the only working environment
I found where I did not have to bootstrap everything from scratch.

If one does not want to build everything statically and does not want
to build one's own distro-like package management on top of Windows,
one finds themselves SoL on Windows if one thinks Microsoft cares.
Developing on Microsoft platforms is an awful experience for anything
beyond a trivial app.

Achim, thank you for your efforts on MinGW64 packages.

Cheers, Glenn

* Re: [ITA] openssl, openssl10, mingw64-{i686,x86_64}-openssl
@ 2021-11-28 10:52     ` Marco Atzeri
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2021-11-28 10:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On 28.11.2021 10:43, ASSI wrote:
> Marco Atzeri via Cygwin-apps writes:
>> no problem for the 3 orphaned, but we should ask Corinna about openssl
>
> She's said numerous times that she doesn't really want it… I wouldn't
> mind to just co-maintain in any case.

I must have missed it.
done

Regards
Marco

* Re: [ITA] openssl, openssl10, mingw64-{i686,x86_64}-openssl
@ 2021-11-28 12:28       ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2021-11-28 12:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Marco Atzeri via Cygwin-apps writes:
> On 28.11.2021 10:43, ASSI wrote:
>> Marco Atzeri via Cygwin-apps writes:
>>> no problem for the 3 orphaned, but we should ask Corinna about openssl
>> She's said numerous times that she doesn't really want it… I
>> wouldn't
>> mind to just co-maintain in any case.
>>

> I must have missed it.

Possibly, most recently was on IRC 2021-10-22:

[09:49:41] <corinna> Stromeko, I didn't do anything with OpenSSL for a long time
[09:50:13] <corinna> I would be glad if somebody could take over the package

Her earliest offer to yield package maintenance of openssl that I've
found was from 2010…  :-)

Regards,
Achim.

DIY Stuff: