public inbox for cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
* Orphaning fzf
@ 2022-02-01 21:22 Adam Dinwoodie
From: Adam Dinwoodie @ 2022-02-01 21:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

The upstream fzf package moved from Ruby to Go some time ago.  I had
vague but noble intetions to try to maintain a fork on the basis of the
last version of the Ruby code, but never managed anything useful.  In
that context, I expect it's time that I officially throw in the towel,
and mark fzf as orphaned.

The existing build still works, and I don't think there's likely to be
any crass security problems or anything like that.  But there's no
longer any upstream support, and I clearly don't have the capacity to
properly maintain it solo.

I'm not quite sure what the process is here, but I suspect it's just a
case of someone with the appropriate access making an update to
https://cygwin.com/cygwin-pkg-maint

Adam

* Re: Orphaning fzf
@ 2022-02-02  9:44 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2022-02-02  9:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On Feb  1 21:22, Adam Dinwoodie wrote:
> The upstream fzf package moved from Ruby to Go some time ago.  I had
> vague but noble intetions to try to maintain a fork on the basis of the
> last version of the Ruby code, but never managed anything useful.  In
> that context, I expect it's time that I officially throw in the towel,
> and mark fzf as orphaned.
>
> The existing build still works, and I don't think there's likely to be
> any crass security problems or anything like that.  But there's no
> longer any upstream support, and I clearly don't have the capacity to
> properly maintain it solo.
>
> I'm not quite sure what the process is here, but I suspect it's just a
> case of someone with the appropriate access making an update to
> https://cygwin.com/cygwin-pkg-maint

Done.

Thanks,
Corinna

* Go or Rust Packages?
@ 2022-02-04  5:27   ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2022-02-04  5:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On 2022-02-02 02:44, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Feb  1 21:22, Adam Dinwoodie wrote:
>> The upstream fzf package moved from Ruby to Go some time ago.  I had
>> vague but noble intetions to try to maintain a fork on the basis of the
>> last version of the Ruby code, but never managed anything useful.  In
>> that context, I expect it's time that I officially throw in the towel,
>> and mark fzf as orphaned.
>>
>> The existing build still works, and I don't think there's likely to be
>> any crass security problems or anything like that.  But there's no
>> longer any upstream support, and I clearly don't have the capacity to
>> properly maintain it solo.
>>
>> I'm not quite sure what the process is here, but I suspect it's just a
>> case of someone with the appropriate access making an update to
>> https://cygwin.com/cygwin-pkg-maint

Anyone know of anyone trying to build Go or Rust on Cygwin?

* Re: Go or Rust Packages?
@ 2022-02-04  6:57     ` Marco Atzeri
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2022-02-04  6:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On 04.02.2022 06:27, Brian Inglis wrote:
> On 2022-02-02 02:44, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>> On Feb  1 21:22, Adam Dinwoodie wrote:
>>> The upstream fzf package moved from Ruby to Go some time ago.  I had
>>> vague but noble intetions to try to maintain a fork on the basis of the
>>> last version of the Ruby code, but never managed anything useful.  In
>>> that context, I expect it's time that I officially throw in the towel,
>>> and mark fzf as orphaned.
>>>
>>> The existing build still works, and I don't think there's likely to be
>>> any crass security problems or anything like that.  But there's no
>>> longer any upstream support, and I clearly don't have the capacity to
>>> properly maintain it solo.
>>>
>>> I'm not quite sure what the process is here, but I suspect it's just a
>>> case of someone with the appropriate access making an update to
>>> https://cygwin.com/cygwin-pkg-maint
>
> Anyone know of anyone trying to build Go or Rust on Cygwin?

I looked some time ago on Go.

As it is written in go, you need to go back to the oldest version
written in C and from them forward to the current version.

But looking inside the code/build system I saw a lot of hack and
conditional.
Nothing that looks like a test for functionality, just a lot of
assumption on the system.

It will require a lot of time IMHO, but I am not an expert in compilers

Regards
MArco

* Re: Go or Rust Packages?
@ 2022-02-04  8:14     ` Mark Geisert
From: Mark Geisert @ 2022-02-04  8:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin-Apps

Brian Inglis wrote:
> On 2022-02-02 02:44, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>> On Feb  1 21:22, Adam Dinwoodie wrote:
>>> The upstream fzf package moved from Ruby to Go some time ago.  I had
>>> vague but noble intetions to try to maintain a fork on the basis of the
>>> last version of the Ruby code, but never managed anything useful.  In
>>> that context, I expect it's time that I officially throw in the towel,
>>> and mark fzf as orphaned.
>>>
>>> The existing build still works, and I don't think there's likely to be
>>> any crass security problems or anything like that.  But there's no
>>> longer any upstream support, and I clearly don't have the capacity to
>>> properly maintain it solo.
>>>
>>> I'm not quite sure what the process is here, but I suspect it's just a
>>> case of someone with the appropriate access making an update to
>>> https://cygwin.com/cygwin-pkg-maint
>
> Anyone know of anyone trying to build Go or Rust on Cygwin?
I made some progress with Go on Cygwin a couple years ago, but had to give up
because it required more time than I could give it.  I got about 1/3 of the way
through it.  The last straw was its need for syscall?() and Cygwin not having
those functions (or a need for them).  It was a lot of looking for "#ifdef
Windows" and usually adding "&& !defined(__CYGWIN__)".  The goal still tantalizes
though...

I don't think anybody has mentioned a need for Rust on Cygwin before.  That might
be easier because of a simpler runtime than Go, but still a major, major project.

..mark

* Re: Go or Rust Packages?
@ 2022-02-04  9:12       ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2022-02-04  9:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On Feb  4 00:14, Mark Geisert wrote:
> Brian Inglis wrote:

> > Anyone know of anyone trying to build Go or Rust on Cygwin?
> I made some progress with Go on Cygwin a couple years ago, but had to give
> up because it required more time than I could give it.  I got about 1/3 of
> the way through it.  The last straw was its need for syscall?() and Cygwin
> not having those functions (or a need for them).  It was a lot of looking
> for "#ifdef Windows" and usually adding "&& !defined(__CYGWIN__)".  The goal
> still tantalizes though...

You might be better off writing a syscall layer which translates the
expected syscalls into standard POSIX API calls.  Cygwin could even
provide that in the long run.

Ages ago we discussed converting cygwin1.dll to cygwin2.dll and only
export a syscall interface with any arbitrary libc on top (e. g. glibc),
but that would have been a near full re-implementation of Cygwin, so we
buried the idea.  However, providing a syscall layer on top might be a
nice extension.

Corinna

* Re: Go or Rust Packages?
@ 2022-02-04  9:23       ` Jan Nijtmans
From: Jan Nijtmans @ 2022-02-04  9:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygapps

Op vr 4 feb. 2022 om 07:58 schreef Marco Atzeri:
> As it is written in go, you need to go back to the oldest version
> written in C and from them forward to the current version.

There's also a "golang" frontend for gcc.  Could that be used
to bootstrap go?

Regards,
       Jan Nijtmans

* Re: Go or Rust Packages?
@ 2022-02-04 21:17         ` Marco Atzeri
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2022-02-04 21:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On 04.02.2022 10:23, Jan Nijtmans wrote:
> Op vr 4 feb. 2022 om 07:58 schreef Marco Atzeri:
>> As it is written in go, you need to go back to the oldest version
>> written in C and from them forward to the current version.
>
> There's also a "golang" frontend for gcc.  Could that be used
> to bootstrap go?
>
> Regards,
>         Jan Nijtmans

no idea.

I leave the question to the GCC experts: Achim Gratz/Jonathan Yong

* Re: Go or Rust Packages?
@ 2022-02-04 21:32       ` ASSI
From: ASSI @ 2022-02-04 21:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Marco Atzeri writes:
> As it is written in go, you need to go back to the oldest version
> written in C and from them forward to the current version.

No you don't.  Upstream opines that they already support Windows and
Linux and thusly do not need Cygwin.  The details vary, but Rust climbed
up the same tree.

Go might be salvageable if the go frontend to go is usable, I haven't
had time to look at that.

Regards,
Achim.

Wavetables for the Terratec KOMPLEXER:

* Re: Go or Rust Packages?
@ 2022-02-05 21:25         ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2022-02-05 21:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

ASSI writes:
> Go might be salvageable if the go frontend to go is usable, I haven't
> had time to look at that.

I've went ahead and tried to activate go in gcc and it doesn't even get
past the very beginning of confdigure:

configure: WARNING: go not supported for this target
configure: error:
The following requested languages could not be built: go

Pulling out this and another stop successfully configures and actually
builds a gccgo executable sometime later.  If any of this actually works
remains to be seen.

Regards,
Achim.

DIY Stuff:
http://Synth.Stromeko.net/DIY.html

* Re: Go or Rust Packages?
@ 2022-02-06 11:09           ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2022-02-06 11:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Achim Gratz writes:
> Pulling out this and another stop successfully configures and actually
> builds a gccgo executable sometime later.  If any of this actually works
> remains to be seen.

The compiler itself seems to be working (for some definition of
working), but the compilation of libgo fails at some point:

make[4]: Entering directory '/mnt/share/packages/gcc/gcc.x86_64/build/x86_64-pc-cygwin/libgo'
/usr/bin/mkdir -p os/signal/internal; files=`echo  | sed -e 's/[^ ]*\.gox//g' -e 's/[^ ]*\.dep//'`; /bin/sh ./libtool --tag GO --mode=compile /mnt/share/packages/gcc/gcc.x86_64/build/./gcc/gccgo -B/mnt/share/packages/gcc/gcc.x86_64/build/./gcc/ -B/usr/x86_64-pc-cygwin/bin/ -B/usr/x86_64-pc-cygwin/lib/ -isystem /usr/x86_64-pc-cygwin/include -isystem /usr/x86_64-pc-cygwin/sys-include   -fchecking=1  -minline-all-stringops  -O2 -g -I . -c -fgo-pkgpath=`echo os/signal/internal/pty.lo | sed -e 's/.lo$//'`  -o os/signal/internal/pty.lo $files
libtool: compile:  /mnt/share/packages/gcc/gcc.x86_64/build/./gcc/gccgo -B/mnt/share/packages/gcc/gcc.x86_64/build/./gcc/ -B/usr/x86_64-pc-cygwin/bin/ -B/usr/x86_64-pc-cygwin/lib/ -isystem /usr/x86_64-pc-cygwin/include -isystem /usr/x86_64-pc-cygwin/sys-include -fchecking=1 -minline-all-stringops -O2 -g -I . -c -fgo-pkgpath=os/signal/internal/pty  -DDLL_EXPORT -o os/signal/internal/.libs/pty.o
gccgo: fatal error: no input files
compilation terminated.
make[4]: *** [Makefile:3001: os/signal/internal/pty.lo] Error 1

Since this is in the os subtree my guess is that this happens due to the
non-recognition of Cygwin somewhere else.

Regards,
Achim.