public inbox for cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
* xlsx2csv package may not be required.
@ 2023-03-17  1:58 Doug Henderson
From: Doug Henderson @ 2023-03-17  1:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin Apps

There is a current pure python version of xlsx2csv which runs for many
versions of Python 2 and Python 3.

It may not be necessary to provide a package for it in cygwin.
Instead, users may install the pure python package from PYPI
https://pypi.org/ using pip or another python package manager.

Doug

--
Doug Henderson, Calgary, Alberta, Canada - from gmail.com

* Re: xlsx2csv package may not be required.
@ 2023-03-17  9:29 ` Adam Dinwoodie
From: Adam Dinwoodie @ 2023-03-17  9:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Doug Henderson; +Cc: Cygwin Apps

On Thu, Mar 16, 2023 at 07:58:48PM -0600, Doug Henderson via Cygwin-apps wrote:
> There is a current pure python version of xlsx2csv which runs for many
> versions of Python 2 and Python 3.
>
> It may not be necessary to provide a package for it in cygwin.
> Instead, users may install the pure python package from PYPI
> https://pypi.org/ using pip or another python package manager.

Installing using pip or similar is an option for the vast majority of
packages that are available through the Cygwin installer; by that logic
it wouldn't make sense to provide most of the Python packages we
provide.  Which wouldn't be an invalid strategy, but it would be a very
big change in how we handle things!

I think the advantage of using the Cygwin packages is a better
likelihood of packages actually being compatible with Cygwin, rather
than having some weird and unpredictable package dependency issue.  A
pure Python xlsx2csv is very unlikely to be affected by that sort of
issue, but providing it as a Cygwin package means users shouldn't need
to even think about whether the package is a pure Python package or not.

* Re: xlsx2csv package may not be required.
@ 2023-03-18 16:56   ` marco atzeri
From: marco atzeri @ 2023-03-18 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps; +Cc: Doug Henderson, Adam Dinwoodie

On Fri, Mar 17, 2023 at 10:29 AM Adam Dinwoodie via Cygwin-apps
<cygwin-apps@cygwin.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 16, 2023 at 07:58:48PM -0600, Doug Henderson via Cygwin-apps wrote:
> > There is a current pure python version of xlsx2csv which runs for many
> > versions of Python 2 and Python 3.
> >
> > It may not be necessary to provide a package for it in cygwin.
> > Instead, users may install the pure python package from PYPI
> > https://pypi.org/ using pip or another python package manager.
>
> Installing using pip or similar is an option for the vast majority of
> packages that are available through the Cygwin installer; by that logic
> it wouldn't make sense to provide most of the Python packages we
> provide.  Which wouldn't be an invalid strategy, but it would be a very
> big change in how we handle things!
>
> I think the advantage of using the Cygwin packages is a better
> likelihood of packages actually being compatible with Cygwin, rather
> than having some weird and unpredictable package dependency issue.  A
> pure Python xlsx2csv is very unlikely to be affected by that sort of
> issue, but providing it as a Cygwin package means users shouldn't need
> to even think about whether the package is a pure Python package or not.

I agree with Adam.
I would have no problem to release the python package no if not for
the problem to the laptop

I guess one month from now I will be able to be operative again
(assuming the target supplier of the laptop https://frame.work/ will
not have delivery problem)

Regards
Marco

* Re: xlsx2csv package may not be required.
@ 2023-03-22  7:14     ` Jari Aalto
From: Jari Aalto @ 2023-03-22  7:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps; +Cc: Doug Henderson, Adam Dinwoodie

On 2023-03-18 17:56, marco atzeri via Cygwin-apps wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 17, 2023 at 10:29 AM Adam Dinwoodie via Cygwin-apps
> <cygwin-apps@cygwin.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, Mar 16, 2023 at 07:58:48PM -0600, Doug Henderson via Cygwin-apps wrote:
> > > There is a current pure python version of xlsx2csv which runs for many
> > > versions of Python 2 and Python 3.
> > >
> > > It may not be necessary to provide a package for it in cygwin.
> > > Instead, users may install the pure python package from PYPI
> > > https://pypi.org/ using pip or another python package manager.
> >
> > Installing using pip or similar is an option for the vast majority of
> > packages that are available through the Cygwin installer; by that logic
> > it wouldn't make sense to provide most of the Python packages we
> > provide.  Which wouldn't be an invalid strategy, but it would be a very
> > big change in how we handle things!
> >
> > I think the advantage of using the Cygwin packages is a better
> > likelihood of packages actually being compatible with Cygwin, rather
> > than having some weird and unpredictable package dependency issue.  A
> > pure Python xlsx2csv is very unlikely to be affected by that sort of
> > issue, but providing it as a Cygwin package means users shouldn't need
> > to even think about whether the package is a pure Python package or not.
>

> I agree with Adam.
> I would have no problem to release the python package no if not for
> the problem to the laptop
>
> I guess one month from now I will be able to be operative again
> (assuming the target supplier of the laptop https://frame.work/ will
> not have delivery problem)

I agree, it's better to have native Python package which is more
likely to be kept up to date by the upstream.

So, anyopne packaging the Python PIP version, please go ahead and
remove the current package.

Jari

* Re: xlsx2csv package may not be required.
@ 2023-03-22 19:13       ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2023-03-22 19:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps, Jari Aalto; +Cc: Doug Henderson, Adam Dinwoodie

On 2023-03-22 01:14, Jari Aalto via Cygwin-apps wrote:
> On 2023-03-18 17:56, marco atzeri via Cygwin-apps wrote:
>> On Fri, Mar 17, 2023 at 10:29 AM Adam Dinwoodie via Cygwin-apps
>> <cygwin-apps@cygwin.com> wrote:

>>> Installing using pip or similar is an option for the vast majority of
>>> packages that are available through the Cygwin installer; by that logic
>>> it wouldn't make sense to provide most of the Python packages we
>>> provide.  Which wouldn't be an invalid strategy, but it would be a very
>>> big change in how we handle things!
>>>
>>> I think the advantage of using the Cygwin packages is a better
>>> likelihood of packages actually being compatible with Cygwin, rather
>>> than having some weird and unpredictable package dependency issue.  A
>>> pure Python xlsx2csv is very unlikely to be affected by that sort of
>>> issue, but providing it as a Cygwin package means users shouldn't need
>>> to even think about whether the package is a pure Python package or not.
>>

>> I agree with Adam.
>> I would have no problem to release the python package no if not for
>> the problem to the laptop
>>
>> I guess one month from now I will be able to be operative again
>> (assuming the target supplier of the laptop https://frame.work/ will
>> not have delivery problem)
>
> I agree, it's better to have native Python package which is more
> likely to be kept up to date by the upstream.
>
> So, anyopne packaging the Python PIP version, please go ahead and
> remove the current package.

Hi Jari,

So no issue if I adopt and package with cygport?
It's a utility I use around tax time and sometimes elsewhen.

                                 -- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

* Re: xlsx2csv package may not be required.
@ 2023-03-22 19:41         ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2023-03-22 19:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps, Jari Aalto; +Cc: Doug Henderson, Adam Dinwoodie

On 2023-03-22 13:13, Brian Inglis via Cygwin-apps wrote:
> On 2023-03-22 01:14, Jari Aalto via Cygwin-apps wrote:
>> On 2023-03-18 17:56, marco atzeri via Cygwin-apps wrote:

>>> I agree with Adam.
>>> I would have no problem to release the python package no if not for
>>> the problem to the laptop
>>>
>>> I guess one month from now I will be able to be operative again
>>> (assuming the target supplier of the laptop https://frame.work/ will
>>> not have delivery problem)
>>
>> I agree, it's better to have native Python package which is more
>> likely to be kept up to date by the upstream.
>>
>> So, anyopne packaging the Python PIP version, please go ahead and
>> remove the current package.
>
> Hi Jari,
>
> So no issue if I adopt and package with cygport?
> It's a utility I use around tax time and sometimes elsewhen.

Or not - I see you said you updated it under the python2 removal ITA subthread.

                                 -- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

* Re: xlsx2csv package may not be required.
@ 2023-03-24 13:31         ` Jari Aalto
From: Jari Aalto @ 2023-03-24 13:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps; +Cc: CC, Brian Inglis, Doug Henderson, Adam Dinwoodie

On 2023-03-22 13:13, Brian Inglis wrote:
> On 2023-03-22 01:14, Jari Aalto via Cygwin-apps wrote:
> > On 2023-03-18 17:56, marco atzeri via Cygwin-apps wrote:

> > > I agree with Adam.
> > > I would have no problem to release the python package no if not for
> > > the problem to the laptop
> > >
> > > I guess one month from now I will be able to be operative again
> > > (assuming the target supplier of the laptop https://frame.work/ will
> > > not have delivery problem)
> >
> > I agree, it's better to have native Python package which is more
> > likely to be kept up to date by the upstream.
> >
> > So, anyopne packaging the Python PIP version, please go ahead and
> > remove the current package.
>
> Hi Jari,
>
> So no issue if I adopt and package with cygport?
> It's a utility I use around tax time and sometimes elsewhen.

If you go ahead and take maintenance of the Pyhon PIP version of
xlsx2csv, I think we can retire the current xlsx2csv package as it is
not particularly active in git:

https://github.com/dilshod/xlsx2csv.git

2023-03-13 78be285 tdilshod Merge pull request #248 from NoSuck/hyperlinks-crash-string-bytes
2023-03-13 140e4cf tdilshod Merge pull request #252 from hugovk/replace-deprecated-BadZipfile
2023-01-09 3180d94 tdilshod version 0.8.1 (tag: 0.8.1)
2022-12-23 9b6c2df tdilshod include hidden rows option
2022-10-02 4beb5a8 tdilshod fix python2 support

Jari