public inbox for cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
* Fwd: calm: cygwin package report for Ken Brown
       [not found] <167934943239.2863900.10205375643162783483@server2.sourceware.org>
@ 2023-03-20 22:17 ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2023-03-20 22:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

It looks like my plan for having scallywag deploy all the TeX Live
packages won't work (see below).  calm would have to be more permissive
and allow deploying a package that requires something that will be
provided by a future package.

In this case, I made asymptote require tl_2023, which will be provided
by the next texlive release.  But I don't want to deploy the latter
until all the other packages for TeX Live 2023 have been deployed.

Unless this is easy to fix, I'll just forget about using scallywag and

Ken

From: Jon Turney @ 2023-03-20 23:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps, Ken Brown

On 20/03/2023 22:17, Ken Brown via Cygwin-apps wrote:
> It looks like my plan for having scallywag deploy all the TeX Live
> packages won't work (see below).  calm would have to be more permissive
> and allow deploying a package that requires something that will be
> provided by a future package.
>
> In this case, I made asymptote require tl_2023, which will be provided
> by the next texlive release.  But I don't want to deploy the latter
> until all the other packages for TeX Live 2023 have been deployed.
>
> Unless this is easy to fix, I'll just forget about using scallywag and

This is trivially fixable.

calm already has a list of 'provides which don't exist (yet)', so I
think I just need to add tl_2023 and tl_basic_2023 to that list

Future work: make these regexes so we don't have same problem again in a
years time.

> Ken

Maybe calm doesn't need to do this kind of check any more?

But then people might write REQUIRES="typoed-package-name" and not
notice until it's uninstallable, so I don't know.

* Re: Fwd: calm: cygwin package report for Ken Brown
@ 2023-03-20 23:42     ` gs-cygwin.com
                       ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: gs-cygwin.com @ 2023-03-20 23:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jon Turney; +Cc: cygwin-apps, Ken Brown

On Mon, Mar 20, 2023 at 11:17:38PM +0000, Jon Turney via Cygwin-apps wrote:
> On 20/03/2023 22:17, Ken Brown via Cygwin-apps wrote:
> > It looks like my plan for having scallywag deploy all the TeX Live
> > packages won't work (see below).  calm would have to be more permissive
> > and allow deploying a package that requires something that will be
> > provided by a future package.
> >
> > In this case, I made asymptote require tl_2023, which will be provided
> > by the next texlive release.  But I don't want to deploy the latter
> > until all the other packages for TeX Live 2023 have been deployed.
> >
> > Unless this is easy to fix, I'll just forget about using scallywag and
>
> This is trivially fixable.
>
> calm already has a list of 'provides which don't exist (yet)', so I think I
> just need to add tl_2023 and tl_basic_2023 to that list
>
> Future work: make these regexes so we don't have same problem again in a
> years time.
>

> > Ken

It seems to me like a useful warning, whether or not it remains an
error here.  Also, it seems to me like this check could be added to
prevent packages from being released (other than to 'test') since an
uninstallable package is an uninstallable package, though circular
dependencies could then be an issue for releasing. (Yes, avoid those!)

Cheers, Glenn

* Re: Fwd: calm: cygwin package report for Ken Brown
@ 2023-03-21  2:10     ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2023-03-21  2:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jon Turney, cygwin-apps

On 3/20/2023 7:17 PM, Jon Turney wrote:
> On 20/03/2023 22:17, Ken Brown via Cygwin-apps wrote:
>> It looks like my plan for having scallywag deploy all the TeX Live
>> packages won't work (see below).  calm would have to be more
>> permissive and allow deploying a package that requires something that
>> will be provided by a future package.

[...]

> This is trivially fixable.
>
> calm already has a list of 'provides which don't exist (yet)', so I
> think I just need to add tl_2023 and tl_basic_2023 to that list

Thanks!

[...]

> Maybe calm doesn't need to do this kind of check any more?
>
> But then people might write REQUIRES="typoed-package-name" and not
> notice until it's uninstallable, so I don't know.

I don't know either, but I think I lean toward not doing the check, in
order to give maintainers maximum flexibility.  In your example, the
problem is easily fixed as soon as the maintainer (or someone else)
notices that the package is uninstallable.  And when they try to select
it for installation, setup will immediately tell them what the problem is.

Ken

* Re: Fwd: calm: cygwin package report for Ken Brown
@ 2023-03-21  8:55     ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2023-03-21  8:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On Mar 20 23:17, Jon Turney via Cygwin-apps wrote:
> On 20/03/2023 22:17, Ken Brown via Cygwin-apps wrote:
> > It looks like my plan for having scallywag deploy all the TeX Live
> > packages won't work (see below).  calm would have to be more permissive
> > and allow deploying a package that requires something that will be
> > provided by a future package.
> >
> > In this case, I made asymptote require tl_2023, which will be provided
> > by the next texlive release.  But I don't want to deploy the latter
> > until all the other packages for TeX Live 2023 have been deployed.
> >
> > Unless this is easy to fix, I'll just forget about using scallywag and
>
> This is trivially fixable.
>
> calm already has a list of 'provides which don't exist (yet)', so I think I
> just need to add tl_2023 and tl_basic_2023 to that list
>
> Future work: make these regexes so we don't have same problem again in a
> years time.

Wouldn't it make sense to be able to define this in the cygport file
somehow?  Or does that open a can of worms?

Corinna

* Re: Fwd: calm: cygwin package report for Ken Brown
                       ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2024-02-19 18:59     ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2024-02-19 18:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jon Turney, cygwin-apps

On 3/20/2023 7:17 PM, Jon Turney wrote:
> On 20/03/2023 22:17, Ken Brown via Cygwin-apps wrote:
>> It looks like my plan for having scallywag deploy all the TeX Live
>> packages won't work (see below).  calm would have to be more
>> permissive and allow deploying a package that requires something that
>> will be provided by a future package.
>>
>> In this case, I made asymptote require tl_2023, which will be provided
>> by the next texlive release.  But I don't want to deploy the latter
>> until all the other packages for TeX Live 2023 have been deployed.
>>
>> Unless this is easy to fix, I'll just forget about using scallywag and
>
> This is trivially fixable.
>
> calm already has a list of 'provides which don't exist (yet)', so I
> think I just need to add tl_2023 and tl_basic_2023 to that list
>
> Future work: make these regexes so we don't have same problem again in a
> years time.

Jon,

In preparation for TeX Live 2024, please add tl_2024 and tl_basic_2024
to the list of provides which don't exist yet (unless you've already
done the regex future work).

Thanks.

Ken

* Re: Fwd: calm: cygwin package report for Ken Brown
@ 2024-02-19 19:22       ` Jon Turney
From: Jon Turney @ 2024-02-19 19:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ken Brown; +Cc: cygwin-apps

On 19/02/2024 18:59, Ken Brown via Cygwin-apps wrote:
> On 3/20/2023 7:17 PM, Jon Turney wrote:
>> On 20/03/2023 22:17, Ken Brown via Cygwin-apps wrote:
>>> It looks like my plan for having scallywag deploy all the TeX Live
>>> packages won't work (see below).  calm would have to be more
>>> permissive and allow deploying a package that requires something that
>>> will be provided by a future package.
>>>
>>> In this case, I made asymptote require tl_2023, which will be
>>> provided by the next texlive release.  But I don't want to deploy the
>>> latter until all the other packages for TeX Live 2023 have been
>>> deployed.
>>>
>>> Unless this is easy to fix, I'll just forget about using scallywag
>>> and go back to my old method of uploading everything manually.
>>
>> This is trivially fixable.
>>
>> calm already has a list of 'provides which don't exist (yet)', so I
>> think I just need to add tl_2023 and tl_basic_2023 to that list
>>
>> Future work: make these regexes so we don't have same problem again in
>> a years time.
>
> Jon,
>
> In preparation for TeX Live 2024, please add tl_2024 and tl_basic_2024
> to the list of provides which don't exist yet (unless you've already
> done the regex future work).

These are controlled by regex now, so these should already be permitted,
and I don't need to do anything (yay!):

     'tl_\d+'
     'tl_basic_\d+'

* Re: Fwd: calm: cygwin package report for Ken Brown
@ 2023-05-05 18:04     ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2023-05-05 18:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On 2023-05-05 11:16, Jon Turney via Cygwin-apps wrote:
> On 04/05/2023 17:24, Ken Brown via Cygwin-apps wrote:
>>> INFO: package 'savi': errors in license expression: ['Unknown license
>>> key(s): BSD-Advertising-Acknowledgement']

>> Any idea why calm complained about this license key?  It's listed at
>> https://spdx.org/licenses/.

> I suspect this is because that license was added in version 3.20 of the list,
> and the python module currently used to parse and validate the license
> expressions only contains and older version.
>
> It looks like maybe I need to write some stuff to automatically fetch the latest
> list and feed it into that module...

ITP SPDX-licence-check?, then cygport and calm can depend on it, and we can all
be the patrol cop pulling over packages to check their licences ;^>

SPDX appears to be like tzdb was years ago, with both code and data updates
every release, so don't *have* to worry about splitting.

Good enough for calm is good enough for us, and anyone who doen't like something
can offer patches.

                                 -- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

* Re: Fwd: calm: cygwin package report for Ken Brown
@ 2023-05-05 17:16   ` Jon Turney
From: Jon Turney @ 2023-05-05 17:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ken Brown, cygwin-apps

       [not found] <168313524287.291104.13797346226214774348@server2.sourceware.org>