public inbox for cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
* cygwin-pkg-maint enhancements
@ 2023-06-11 18:01 Jon Turney
From: Jon Turney @ 2023-06-11 18:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

I've deployed an update to calm which makes a few small improvements to
the way cygwin-pkg-maint is handled:

* Lines starting with a '#' are now ignored as a comment

* There's now a simple facility for grouping packages:

Define a group with a line starting with '@', e.g.:

     @upstream_project Maintainer1/Maintainer2

Then @upstream_project can used in a package's maintainer list, as a
reference to that list of maintainers.

This is all done in a single-pass parser at the moment, so group
definitions must precede packages which use them.

(Adding this was partially motivated by the fact that I've been
laboriously identifying and adopting packages which have X.Org as their
upstream, but there's no way to record that as a group of packages for
future reference)

* Re: cygwin-pkg-maint enhancements
@ 2023-06-16  9:47 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2023-06-16  9:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On Jun 11 19:01, Jon Turney via Cygwin-apps wrote:

> I've deployed an update to calm which makes a few small improvements to the
> way cygwin-pkg-maint is handled:
>
> * Lines starting with a '#' are now ignored as a comment
>
> * There's now a simple facility for grouping packages:
>
> Define a group with a line starting with '@', e.g.:
>
>     @upstream_project Maintainer1/Maintainer2
>
> Then @upstream_project can used in a package's maintainer list, as a
> reference to that list of maintainers.

That's a great change. Thanks!

Would adding glob patterns help, too?  Kind of like

  aspell
  aspell-*

instead of having to mention every single language pack, or

  autoconf*
  automake*

Corinna

* Re: cygwin-pkg-maint enhancements
@ 2023-06-18 11:06   ` Jon Turney
From: Jon Turney @ 2023-06-18 11:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On 16/06/2023 10:47, Corinna Vinschen via Cygwin-apps wrote:
> On Jun 11 19:01, Jon Turney via Cygwin-apps wrote:
>>
>> I've deployed an update to calm which makes a few small improvements to the
>> way cygwin-pkg-maint is handled:
>>
>> * Lines starting with a '#' are now ignored as a comment
>>
>> * There's now a simple facility for grouping packages:
>>
>> Define a group with a line starting with '@', e.g.:
>>
>>      @upstream_project Maintainer1/Maintainer2
>>
>> Then @upstream_project can used in a package's maintainer list, as a
>> reference to that list of maintainers.
>
> That's a great change. Thanks!
>
> Would adding glob patterns help, too?  Kind of like
>
>    aspell
>    aspell-*

Well, maybe.

That's a more complex change, as the code just does a simple lookup by
source package name at the moment.

It would also introduce the possibility for ambiguity. e.g. What is the
following intended to mean?

aspell-*         Aye Person
aspell-gibberish Anne Other

* Re: cygwin-pkg-maint enhancements
@ 2023-06-19  8:35     ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2023-06-19  8:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On Jun 18 12:06, Jon Turney via Cygwin-apps wrote:
> On 16/06/2023 10:47, Corinna Vinschen via Cygwin-apps wrote:
> > On Jun 11 19:01, Jon Turney via Cygwin-apps wrote:
> > >
> > > I've deployed an update to calm which makes a few small improvements to the
> > > way cygwin-pkg-maint is handled:
> > >
> > > * Lines starting with a '#' are now ignored as a comment
> > >
> > > * There's now a simple facility for grouping packages:
> > >
> > > Define a group with a line starting with '@', e.g.:
> > >
> > >      @upstream_project Maintainer1/Maintainer2
> > >
> > > Then @upstream_project can used in a package's maintainer list, as a
> > > reference to that list of maintainers.
> >
> > That's a great change. Thanks!
> >
> > Would adding glob patterns help, too?  Kind of like
> >
> >    aspell
> >    aspell-*
> >

> Well, maybe.
>
> That's a more complex change, as the code just does a simple lookup by
> source package name at the moment.

Yeah, ok.  It would have to call the python glob function instead.
Assuming there is one, but I guess there is.

> It would also introduce the possibility for ambiguity. e.g. What is the
> following intended to mean?
>
> aspell-*         Aye Person
> aspell-gibberish Anne Other

True. I thought we could simply avoid that, given we maintain the file
manually anyway.

Assuming the file is searched lineary from top to bottom, the problem
could be simply fixed by switching the order:

  aspell-gibberish Anne Other
  aspell-*         Aye Person

So, ordering from strict to fuzzy.

Anyway, it was just an idea.  We made it to here without globbing,
so it's not as if that would be necessary.

Corinna