public inbox for cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
* ssh key fails
@ 2020-02-25  8:44 Thomas Wolff
From: Thomas Wolff @ 2020-02-25  8:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Trying to upload mintty, my sftp access fails.
After reconfiguration of my machine, I copied over the complete ~/.ssh
directory (which worked between completely different machines before),
but it says
cygwin@cygwin.com: Permission denied (publickey).

Did anything change?
Thomas

* Re: ssh key fails
@ 2020-02-25 12:50 ` Jon Turney
From: Jon Turney @ 2020-02-25 12:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps; +Cc: Thomas Wolff

On 25/02/2020 08:44, Thomas Wolff wrote:
> Trying to upload mintty, my sftp access fails.
> After reconfiguration of my machine, I copied over the complete ~/.ssh
> directory (which worked between completely different machines before),
> but it says
> cygwin-rDBXBDvO6BXQT0dZR+AlfA@public.gmane.org: Permission denied
> (publickey).
>
> Did anything change?

Are you sure you preserved the permissions of the contents of ~/.ssh?
ssh might refuse to use them, if they are too open.

I've have recently updated the scripts I used to maintain the
authorized_keys file, so it's certainly possible I've broken something.

But I have double checked and your public key from [1] is present.

Can you send me (privately) the output of 'ssh -vvv cygwin@cygwin.com
alive' ?

[1] https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2014-06/msg00033.html

* Re: ssh key fails
@ 2020-02-25 17:56 ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2020-02-25 17:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On 2020-02-25 01:44, Thomas Wolff wrote:
> Trying to upload mintty, my sftp access fails.
> After reconfiguration of my machine, I copied over the complete ~/.ssh directory
> (which worked between completely different machines before), but it says
> cygwin@cygwin.com: Permission denied (publickey).
>
> Did anything change?

I find cygport ...cygport upload generally easier and more reliable than trying
to do it myself with lftp, and had more issues with sftp.

I had problems recently with cygsshd running, but after shutting that down,
cygport upload took the same code path on x86_64 as x86, and prompted for my
passphrase.