public inbox for cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
From: Brian Inglis <Brian.Inglis@SystematicSW.ab.ca>
To: cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
Subject: Re: [cygport] enabling a replacement for "objdump -d -l"
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2024 15:39:45 -0600	[thread overview]

On 2024-03-12 11:49, ASSI via Cygwin-apps wrote:
> Jon Turney via Cygwin-apps writes:
>> But I'm not being oblique here. I really do want comments.
>
> Well, adding comments or proper POD is about the same effort, so I'd
> tend towards the latter.
>
>> I'm not sure what's so astounding about the suggestion that a fifty
>> line script should have some comments in it that you can't believe I
>> mean that literally...
>
> As the saying goes: Communication is possible, but improbable…
>
>> Well, OK.  This is less useful to people who actually want to use it,
>> though, requiring them to know that
>> "DWARF_PARSE=/usr/share/cygport/tools/dwarf-parse.pl" is the right
>> incantation.
>>
>> Perhaps "DWARF_PARSE=1" could be a shorthand for that?

[Sorry still makes me think Dwarvish and Runes e.g.
	https://www.evertype.com/standards/iso10646/pdf/cirth.pdf
and if you say ELF I still think zwolf, dreizehn, ... ;^> ]

> I don't see why not, it just requires one extra test.

Maybe even more meaningful names, to those of us not so familiar with binutils
and compiler debug esoterica, stating the connection between the build and the
function, something like debuginfo_fast_source_filter.pl and
DEBUGINFO_FAST_SOURCE_FILTER flag, default on if .pl installed?

                                 -- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry