public inbox for cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
* Fixing moreutils Git repo
@ 2021-01-04 10:39 Adam Dinwoodie
From: Adam Dinwoodie @ 2021-01-04 10:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Somewhere along the way I seem to have unsubscribed from this list,
and therefore managed to miss a bunch of development with the Git
repositories at https://cygwin.com/git-cygwin-packages/. As a result I
thought they were still naive repositories with no fancy logic or
automation, and my first experiments with the moreutils repo have
created a branch I'd like to force-push to or delete, but am blocked
by the hooks.

Would it be possible for someone with the relevant access to either
delete the "next" branch from the moreutils repo, or delete the repo
wholesale so I can recreate it (with more care) from scratch?

Tangentially, is there any clear documentation on what functions these
repos have these days? There's some info at
https://cygwin.com/packaging/repos.html, but (for example) that makes
no mention of the build automation that clearly now exists, nor of any
branch protection. And while I can go through the mailing list
archives, that also requires reading through a bunch of messages that
are going to be no longer relevant.

* Re: Fixing moreutils Git repo
@ 2021-01-04 14:19 ` Jon Turney
From: Jon Turney @ 2021-01-04 14:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On 04/01/2021 10:39, Adam Dinwoodie wrote:
> Somewhere along the way I seem to have unsubscribed from this list,
> and therefore managed to miss a bunch of development with the Git
> repositories at https://cygwin.com/git-cygwin-packages/. As a result I
> thought they were still naive repositories with no fancy logic or
> automation, and my first experiments with the moreutils repo have
> created a branch I'd like to force-push to or delete, but am blocked
> by the hooks.
>
> Would it be possible for someone with the relevant access to either
> delete the "next" branch from the moreutils repo, or delete the repo
> wholesale so I can recreate it (with more care) from scratch?

I removed the 'next' branch for you.

Please let me know if there's anything else you need help with.

> Tangentially, is there any clear documentation on what functions these
> repos have these days? There's some info at
> https://cygwin.com/packaging/repos.html, but (for example) that makes
> no mention of the build automation that clearly now exists, nor of any
> branch protection. And while I can go through the mailing list
> archives, that also requires reading through a bunch of messages that
> are going to be no longer relevant.

I added some brief documentation at [1]

https://cygwin.com/packaging/build.html