public inbox for cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
From: Jon Turney <jon.turney@dronecode.org.uk>
To: "cygwin-apps@cygwin.com" <cygwin-apps@cygwin.com>
Subject: Re: python2 removal
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2023 19:16:45 +0000	[thread overview]

On 15/01/2023 12:52, Jon Turney via Cygwin-apps wrote:

> 4) With that done, one would hope we could just expire all packages as
> with names matching:
>
> python27
> python27-* (127 of)
> python2-*
> python-*
>
> But there may be some cases not caught in step 2), where
>
> - the package is not a python module (i.e. source package is not python-*)
> - the package shouldn't be removed because it's a dependency of something
>
> So those will need to be identified and inspected to determine what
> should happen to them.

I looked for python{,2}-foo package which have a source which isn't
python-foo, and doesn't also produce python3*-foo (note: in many cases
the python3 binding doesn't exist for the latest python3 version)

None of these seem to have current versions of other packages which
depend on them, so just removing these python2 bindings would seem to be
safe.

Many of these are old (maybe gtk2, gnome2-era) stuff which we should
probably also work on removing.

> package                      source package          maintainer                  notes
>
> python2-avogadro             avogadro                ORPHANED (Yaakov Selkowitz)
> python2-ibus                 ibus                    ORPHANED (Yaakov Selkowitz)
> python2-ktoblzcheck          ktoblzcheck             ORPHANED (Yaakov Selkowitz)
> python2-ayatana_appindicator libayatana-appindicator ORPHANED (Yaakov Selkowitz)
> python2-iptcdata             libiptcdata             ORPHANED (Yaakov Selkowitz)
> python2-libpst               libpst                  ORPHANED (Yaakov Selkowitz)
> python2-ming                 ming                    ORPHANED (Dr. Volker Zell)  [*]
> python2-zbar                 zbar                    ORPHANED (Yaakov Selkowitz) [*]
> python2-zinnia               zinnia                  ORPHANED (Yaakov Selkowitz) [*]
>
> python-botan                 botan1.10               ORPHANED (Yaakov Selkowitz)
> python-gamin                 gamin                   ORPHANED (Yaakov Selkowitz)
> python-bonobo2               gnome-python            ORPHANED (Yaakov Selkowitz)
> python-gconf2                gnome-python            "
> python-gnome2                gnome-python            "
> python-gnomecanvas2          gnome-python            "
> python-gnomevfs2             gnome-python            "
> python-gnomekeyring          gnome-python-desktop    ORPHANED (Yaakov Selkowitz)
> python-gtop2                 gnome-python-desktop    "
> python-rsvg2                 gnome-python-desktop    "
> python-totem-plparser        gnome-python-desktop    "
> python-wnck                  gnome-python-desktop    "
> python-egg                   gnome-python-extras     ORPHANED (Yaakov Selkowitz)
> python-gtkspell              gnome-python-extras     "
> python-gtkvnc                gtk-vnc                 ORPHANED (Yaakov Selkowitz)
> python-keybinder             keybinder               ORPHANED (Yaakov Selkowitz)
> python-lcms                  lcms                    ORPHANED (Dr. Volker Zell)
> python-appindicator          libappindicator         ORPHANED (Yaakov Selkowitz)
> python-gucharmap             libgucharmap            ORPHANED (Yaakov Selkowitz)
> python-libxslt               libxslt                 ORPHANED (Yaakov Selkowitz)
> python-PyOpenColorIO         OpenColorIO             ORPHANED (Yaakov Selkowitz)
> python-vte                   vte                     ORPHANED (Yaakov Selkowitz)
> python-wx2.8                 wxWidgets2.8            ORPHANED (Yaakov Selkowitz)

[*] also needs rebuilding for perl 5.32

Again, I might look at rebuilding some of the more important packages,
as time permits, and some of these are candidates for removal if not
updated, but obviously adoptions and input on what is no longer useful
is welcomed!