public inbox for cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
From: Brian Inglis <Brian.Inglis@Shaw.ca>
To: cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
Subject: Re: ITA xlsx2csv (was Re: python2 removal)
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2023 15:12:37 -0600	[thread overview]

On 2023-03-16 12:57, Jon Turney wrote:
> On 16/03/2023 15:53, Brian Inglis via Cygwin-apps wrote:
>> On 2023-03-16 07:29, Jon Turney wrote:
>>
>>> The critical piece of data I'm missing here is which of these is true:
>>> a) This package contains a script with a python shebang. The current version
>>> doesn't work when python is python3, so an upgrade is needed to continue
>>> working when python2 is removed, or
>>> b) This package contains a script with a python shebang. The current version
>>> will continue to work when python is python3.

>> Unfortunately only a generic cygbuild sh script is supplied with the package -
>> does nothing but complain without some other "magic" script or data! ;^>
>> Jari's Debian 8/9 xlsx2csv releases have been updated to 0.20+20161027 from
>> 0.11+20120814.
>> $ sed 1q xlsx2csv.py
>> #!/usr/bin/env python
>> Does not work with python3, nor after running 2to3 fixes - see attached logs -
>> IANAPythonista
>> Anyway pylint was not useful compared to 2to3 - see attached pylint before and
>> after 2to3 logs compared to 2to3 log.

> This is not an unequivocal answer to my question.
> It sounds like you are saying "even the most recent version of xlsx2cvs doesn't
> work with python3", in which case the only sane option is to remove this package
> when python2 is removed.

Sorry if I was not sufficiently clear but that is not the case at all.

> Is that what you mean? If not, what do you mean?
> Please answer with a single sentence.

Current Cygwin package is python2 only from 2010 when python3 first came out.

You asked about the current Cygwin source package - that is all those answers
refer to - and the logs relate to - nothing about the latest upstream package.

The Cygwin source package as distributed does not work with python3, it can not
be easily upgraded to work with python3 using 2to3, and there is no way for us
to rebuild it anyway, as it depends on some cygbuild "magic" not provided in the
source package.

The latest version of the upstream package builds, installs, checks, and runs
fine using minimal cygport and python3 cygclasses, as referred to in the
scallywag links provided.

I am replacing the upstream man page provided, as it was written in POD, applies
to the outdated 2010 release, and the latest upstream version's help has many
more options, is more comprehensive, and was started with help2man.

                                 -- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry