public inbox for cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
* How to create am initial cygwin package git repo?
@ 2020-10-18 10:03 Erwin Waterlander
From: Erwin Waterlander @ 2020-10-18 10:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Hi,

I want to create git repos for my cygwin packages.
The information on https://cygwin.com/packaging/repos.html is quite
brief.
Is there a more elaborate guide?

regards,

--
Erwin Waterlander

* Re: How to create am initial cygwin package git repo?
@ 2020-10-18 11:39 ` Erwin Waterlander
From: Erwin Waterlander @ 2020-10-18 11:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Erwin Waterlander schreef op 2020-10-18 12:03:
> Hi,
>
> I want to create git repos for my cygwin packages.
> The information on https://cygwin.com/packaging/repos.html is quite
> brief.
> Is there a more elaborate guide?
>
> regards,

The text on https://cygwin.com/packaging/repos.html is unclear. The page
says that the repo is lazily created on the first push. It should say
that you first clone it with this command:

  git clone ssh://cygwin@cygwin.com/git/cygwin-packages/packagename.git

and then do a first push

  git push

regards,

Erwin

* Re: How to create am initial cygwin package git repo?
@ 2020-10-18 12:30   ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2020-10-18 12:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Erwin Waterlander writes:
> The text on https://cygwin.com/packaging/repos.html is unclear. The
> page says that the repo is lazily created on the first push. It should
> say that you first clone it with this command:
>
>  git clone ssh://cygwin-rDBXBDvO6BXQT0dZR+AlfA@public.gmane.org/git/cygwin-packages/packagename.git
>
> and then do a first push

It shouldn't say that, because it works just as well when doing a git
init locally (or using an existing local repo) and then pushing to the
remote (which you also need to explicitly specify the first time you use
it).  In fact that's the sane way to do it when you already have local
history.

For your packages, please check

https://cygwin.com/cgi-bin2/jobs.cgi

and add the necessary BUILD_REQUIRES to make them build on the CI.  It's
recommended to iterate on the playground branch, which you can
force-push to (i.e. you can throw away commits that have not worked out)
and delete if no longer needed after having pushed the cleaned-up
version to the master branch.

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: How to create am initial cygwin package git repo?
@ 2020-10-18 14:31     ` Erwin Waterlander
From: Erwin Waterlander @ 2020-10-18 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Achim Gratz; +Cc: cygwin-apps

Achim Gratz schreef op 2020-10-18 14:30:
> Erwin Waterlander writes:
>> The text on https://cygwin.com/packaging/repos.html is unclear. The
>> page says that the repo is lazily created on the first push. It should
>> say that you first clone it with this command:
>>
>>  git clone
>> ssh://cygwin-rDBXBDvO6BXQT0dZR+AlfA@public.gmane.org/git/cygwin-packages/packagename.git
>>
>> and then do a first push
>
> It shouldn't say that, because it works just as well when doing a git
> init locally (or using an existing local repo) and then pushing to the
> remote (which you also need to explicitly specify the first time you
> use
> it).  In fact that's the sane way to do it when you already have local
> history.
>
> For your packages, please check
>
> https://cygwin.com/cgi-bin2/jobs.cgi
>
> and add the necessary BUILD_REQUIRES to make them build on the CI.
> It's
> recommended to iterate on the playground branch, which you can
> force-push to (i.e. you can throw away commits that have not worked
> out)
> and delete if no longer needed after having pushed the cleaned-up
> version to the master branch.

Thanks!
This information should be in the Cygwin Package Contributor's Guide.

best regards,

Erwin

* Re: How to create am initial cygwin package git repo?
@ 2020-10-25 16:09       ` Jon Turney
From: Jon Turney @ 2020-10-25 16:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On 18/10/2020 15:31, Erwin Waterlander wrote:

> Achim Gratz schreef op 2020-10-18 14:30:
>> Erwin Waterlander writes:
>>> The text on https://cygwin.com/packaging/repos.html is unclear. The
>>> page says that the repo is lazily created on the first push. It should
>>> say that you first clone it with this command:
>>>
>>>  git clone
>>> ssh://cygwin-rDBXBDvO6BXQT0dZR+AlfA-XMD5yJDbdMReXY1tMh2IBg@public.gmane.org/git/cygwin-packages/packagename.git
>>>
>>> and then do a first push

Yes, a bit of a surprise to me, and not intended, but it seems that the
repo gets created on the first pull by a maintainer, as well.

But this just gives you an empty repo, which you can just as easily
create locally with 'git init' :)

>> It shouldn't say that, because it works just as well when doing a git
>> init locally (or using an existing local repo) and then pushing to the
>> remote (which you also need to explicitly specify the first time you use
>> it).  In fact that's the sane way to do it when you already have local
>> history.

I did have an idea to write something to grovel over the cygwin time
machine history for a specific source package and create a repository
from that, but it didn't seem really worth the effort.

>> For your packages, please check
>>
>> https://cygwin.com/cgi-bin2/jobs.cgi
>>
>> and add the necessary BUILD_REQUIRES to make them build on the CI. It's
>> recommended to iterate on the playground branch, which you can
>> force-push to (i.e. you can throw away commits that have not worked out)
>> and delete if no longer needed after having pushed the cleaned-up
>> version to the master branch.
>
> Thanks!
> This information should be in the Cygwin Package Contributor's Guide.

Yeah, a patch to that would be ideal :)