public inbox for cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
* Re: ConTeXt no longer available on Cygwin
       [not found] ` <10526155-845f-ba90-6711-56b302287b7c@cornell.edu>
@ 2023-04-13 22:25   ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2023-04-13 22:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

[This is a follow-up to
https://cygwin.com/pipermail/cygwin/2023-March/253326.html, on the
cygwin list.]

On 3/24/2023 11:00 AM, Ken Brown via Cygwin wrote:
> On 3/22/2023 12:56 PM, Ken Brown via Cygwin wrote:
>> As I mentioned in the announcement of TeX Live 2023, there has been a
>> major change in ConTeXt; see
>>
>>    https://tug.org/texlive/bugs.html
>>
>> Briefly, ConTeXt development has been moved out of TeX Live into a
>> separate project.  Unfortunately, the maintainer of that project
>> decided to remove Cygwin support, so I cannot easily provide a context
>> binary. One Cygwin user of ConTeXt complained upstream, to no avail.
>>
>> At some point I will probably remove the texlive-collection-context
>> package, which is now useless.  But I am waiting to see how other
>> distros are going to deal with this change.
>>
>> If you will be greatly inconvenienced by the absence of a context
>> binary, please let me know by replying to this message.  There may or
>> may not be anything I can do about it.
>
> This turned out to be simple to fix.  I will do that shortly, but first
> I want to finish discussing this with TeX Live maintainers for other
> distros.

This turns out to be a complete mess, with no uniformity among
maintainers, so I'm on my own.  The simplest way for me to handle it is
to package the missing binary as part of texlive-collection-context.(*)
This presumably means that the latter can no longer be a noarch package.
  Jon, can you (or calm) cope with a package changing from  noarch to
x86_64?  Alternatively, I could make a completely new package, say
texlive-context-bin, which contains only the binary, if you think that's
better.

Ken

(*) It used to be contained in the texlive package, but the sources are
no longer in the texlive source tree, and the build system is completely
different.

* Re: ConTeXt no longer available on Cygwin
@ 2023-04-14  9:13     ` Marco Atzeri
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2023-04-14  9:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On 14.04.2023 00:25, Ken Brown via Cygwin-apps wrote:
> [This is a follow-up to
> https://cygwin.com/pipermail/cygwin/2023-March/253326.html, on the
> cygwin list.]
>
> On 3/24/2023 11:00 AM, Ken Brown via Cygwin wrote:
>> On 3/22/2023 12:56 PM, Ken Brown via Cygwin wrote:
>>> As I mentioned in the announcement of TeX Live 2023, there has been a
>>> major change in ConTeXt; see
>>>
>>>    https://tug.org/texlive/bugs.html
>>>
>>> Briefly, ConTeXt development has been moved out of TeX Live into a
>>> separate project.  Unfortunately, the maintainer of that project
>>> decided to remove Cygwin support, so I cannot easily provide a
>>> context binary. One Cygwin user of ConTeXt complained upstream, to no
>>> avail.
>>>
>>> At some point I will probably remove the texlive-collection-context
>>> package, which is now useless.  But I am waiting to see how other
>>> distros are going to deal with this change.
>>>
>>> If you will be greatly inconvenienced by the absence of a context
>>> binary, please let me know by replying to this message.  There may or
>>> may not be anything I can do about it.
>>
>> This turned out to be simple to fix.  I will do that shortly, but
>> first I want to finish discussing this with TeX Live maintainers for
>> other distros.
>
> This turns out to be a complete mess, with no uniformity among
> maintainers, so I'm on my own.  The simplest way for me to handle it is
> to package the missing binary as part of texlive-collection-context.(*)
> This presumably means that the latter can no longer be a noarch package.
>   Jon, can you (or calm) cope with a package changing from  noarch to
> x86_64?  Alternatively, I could make a completely new package, say
> texlive-context-bin, which contains only the binary, if you think that's
> better.

It require a manual intervenction on the repository but
we have done it in the past in both directions.

@ 2023-04-14 10:14       ` Jon Turney
From: Jon Turney @ 2023-04-14 10:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On 14/04/2023 10:13, Marco Atzeri via Cygwin-apps wrote:
> On 14.04.2023 00:25, Ken Brown via Cygwin-apps wrote:
>> [This is a follow-up to
>> https://cygwin.com/pipermail/cygwin/2023-March/253326.html, on the
>> cygwin list.]

>>> This turned out to be simple to fix.  I will do that shortly, but
>>> first I want to finish discussing this with TeX Live maintainers for
>>> other distros.
>>
>> This turns out to be a complete mess, with no uniformity among
>> maintainers, so I'm on my own.  The simplest way for me to handle it
>> is to package the missing binary as part of
>> texlive-collection-context.(*) This presumably means that the latter
>> can no longer be a noarch package.   Jon, can you (or calm) cope with
>> a package changing from  noarch to x86_64?  Alternatively, I could
>> make a completely new package, say texlive-context-bin, which contains
>> only the binary, if you think that's better.
>>

> It require a manual intervention on the repository but
> we have done it in the past in both directions.

Whilst a manual intervention was required in the past, this is no longer
the case.

[1] https://cygwin.com/pipermail/cygwin-apps/2019-June/039614.html