public inbox for cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
* [ITP] perl-Image-ExifTool
@ 2021-11-16  7:42 Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2021-11-16  7:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Hi folks,

I've been using exiftool for some years, not just to view, set, and edit
JPEG metadata, especially historical family photos, but also extract
metadata from other media, including PDFs, epubs, DLLs, and exes.

Recent discussion of cygwin1.dll missing metadata prompted me to look at
the utility again and I was surprised to find I have been using a
Windows package, and no Cygwin package is available.

So I would like to remedy that omission by providing a Cygwin package of
the perl module and the command line utility, as available on Arch,
Debian, Fedora, Free & Net BSD, OpenSuSE, and derivatives:

	https://pkgs.org/search/?q=ExifTool
	https://repology.org/projects/?search=ExifTool

This perl module is not built from CPAN as that is 5 releases out of
date 12.30 from the repo release 12.35.

The cygport and tarballs are available online at:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1PwBaANQ2fnagJG8zebp0pN1qYujSBP0j

The existing Cygwin exif package appears to handle only photos and is
outdated (2012) so may not handle newer feature tags and may even remove
some if changes are made, as some files only produce the message:

Corrupt data
The data provided does not follow the specification.
ExifLoader: The data supplied does not seem to contain EXIF data.

which halts operation on other files on the command line, whereas
exiftool has no problems with any files, as expected with files
following the common image metadata specs.

Many countries scan Internet images to collect metadata related to
images of persons and at places of interest. These utilities can safely
remove or edit metadata to protect privacy and security, if you have not
disabled collection of such metadata on your devices.

* Re: [ITP] perl-Image-ExifTool
@ 2021-11-16  9:55 ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2021-11-16  9:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Brian Inglis writes:
> This perl module is not built from CPAN as that is 5 releases out of
> date 12.30 from the repo release 12.35.

NACK.  We do not package development releases unless absolutely
necessary.  The latest production release is 12.30 (Phil only seems to
mirror production releases to CPAN).  Anyway, I'll have a look if it
builds cleanly and if so will ITP it myself.

> The cygport and tarballs are available online at:
>
> https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1PwBaANQ2fnagJG8zebp0pN1qYujSBP0j

Get rid of that Google drive nonsense here, please.

Regards,
Achim.

DIY Stuff:
http://Synth.Stromeko.net/DIY.html

* Re: [ITP] perl-Image-ExifTool
@ 2021-11-16 13:55   ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2021-11-16 13:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Achim Gratz writes:
> Anyway, I'll have a look if it builds cleanly and if so will ITP it
> myself.

It does and even is noarch, so please add it to my list of packages.

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: [ITP] perl-Image-ExifTool
@ 2021-11-16 16:55     ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2021-11-16 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On 2021-11-16 06:55, Achim Gratz wrote:
> Achim Gratz writes:
>> Anyway, I'll have a look if it builds cleanly and if so will ITP it
>> myself.

> It does and even is noarch, so please add it to my list of packages.

Great Thanks!

* Re: [ITP] perl-Image-ExifTool
@ 2021-11-16 17:01   ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2021-11-16 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On 2021-11-16 02:55, Achim Gratz wrote:
> Brian Inglis writes:
>> This perl module is not built from CPAN as that is 5 releases out of
>> date 12.30 from the repo release 12.35.
>
> NACK.  We do not package development releases unless absolutely
> necessary.  The latest production release is 12.30 (Phil only seems to
> mirror production releases to CPAN).  Anyway, I'll have a look if it
> builds cleanly and if so will ITP it myself.
>
>> The cygport and tarballs are available online at:
>>
>> https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1PwBaANQ2fnagJG8zebp0pN1qYujSBP0j

I noticed that the html was not packaged above and added DOCS=html, as
the number of supported file types, tags, and options benefit from the
expanded explanations.

> Get rid of that Google drive nonsense here, please.

Where else can one post package tarballs for review?

* Re: [ITP] perl-Image-ExifTool
@ 2021-11-17 10:32     ` Marco Atzeri
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2021-11-17 10:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On 16.11.2021 14:55, Achim Gratz wrote:
> Achim Gratz writes:
>> Anyway, I'll have a look if it builds cleanly and if so will ITP it
>> myself.
>
> It does and even is noarch, so please add it to my list of packages.

done

> Regards,
> Achim.

Thanks