public inbox for cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
* [ITP] moreutils 0.61
@ 2017-11-15 13:10 Adam Dinwoodie
From: Adam Dinwoodie @ 2017-11-15 13:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

I'm looking to package moreutils, a collection of small Linux utilities.
It is already included in Debian and Ubuntu (amongst others), and is
released under GPLv2.

Homepage: https://joeyh.name/code/moreutils/
Debian package: https://packages.debian.org/sid/utils/moreutils
Ubuntu package: https://packages.ubuntu.com/zesty/moreutils
Proposed Cygwin packaging: https://tastycake.net/~adam/cygwin/

Quoting from the moreutils homepage:

> Probably the most general purpose tool in moreutils so far is
> sponge(1), which lets you do things like this:
>
>     % sed "s/root/toor/" /etc/passwd | grep -v joey | sponge /etc/passwd
>
> There are lots more listed below, and I'm always interested to add
> more to the collection, as long as they're suitably general-purpose,
> and don't duplicate other well-known tools.
>
> -   chronic: runs a command quietly unless it fails
> -   combine: combine the lines in two files using boolean operations
> -   errno: look up errno names and descriptions
> -   ifdata: get network interface info without parsing ifconfig output
> -   ifne: run a program if the standard input is not empty
> -   isutf8: check if a file or standard input is utf-8
> -   lckdo: execute a program with a lock held
> -   mispipe: pipe two commands, returning the exit status of the first
> -   parallel: run multiple jobs at once
> -   pee: tee standard input to pipes
> -   sponge: soak up standard input and write to a file
> -   ts: timestamp standard input
> -   vidir: edit a directory in your text editor
> -   vipe: insert a text editor into a pipe
> -   zrun: automatically uncompress arguments to command

* Re: [ITP] moreutils 0.61
@ 2017-11-15 18:31 ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2017-11-15 18:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Adam Dinwoodie writes:
> I'm looking to package moreutils, a collection of small Linux utilities.
> It is already included in Debian and Ubuntu (amongst others), and is
> released under GPLv2.

This looks like a really mixed bag… Is there some more documentation
somewhere on the web?

>> -   parallel: run multiple jobs at once

I'd be hesitatnt to package that since it directly clashes with GNU
parallel (not available on Cygwin yet).

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: [ITP] moreutils 0.61
@ 2017-11-15 20:43   ` Adam Dinwoodie
From: Adam Dinwoodie @ 2017-11-15 20:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On Wednesday 15 November 2017 at 07:31 pm +0100, Achim Gratz wrote:
> Adam Dinwoodie writes:
> > I'm looking to package moreutils, a collection of small Linux utilities.
> > It is already included in Debian and Ubuntu (amongst others), and is
> > released under GPLv2.
>
> This looks like a really mixed bag… Is there some more documentation
> somewhere on the web?

The only online documentation I'm aware of is on the homepage I linked
to, plus a bunch of folk espousing the benefits of the package.

I guess you could also look at the man pages, either in the packages I
uploaded, or the uncompiled source for them at
https://git.joeyh.name/index.cgi/moreutils.git/tree/.

> >> -   parallel: run multiple jobs at once
>
> I'd be hesitatnt to package that since it directly clashes with GNU
> parallel (not available on Cygwin yet).

Hmm.  I wasn't aware of GNU parallel, and I'm not sure how that sort of
problem is generally handled.  Possibly that could be broken out into a
separate package to make it easier for folk to install one or the other?
I considered and decided against breaking the entire lot into separate
packages, but this is perhaps a good argument for at least separating
that.

* Re: [ITP] moreutils 0.61
@ 2017-11-15 20:52     ` Tony Kelman
From: Tony Kelman @ 2017-11-15 20:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

>> I'd be hesitatnt to package that since it directly clashes with GNU
>> parallel (not available on Cygwin yet).
>
> Hmm.  I wasn't aware of GNU parallel, and I'm not sure how that sort of
> problem is generally handled.  Possibly that could be broken out into a
> separate package to make it easier for folk to install one or the other?
> I considered and decided against breaking the entire lot into separate
> packages, but this is perhaps a good argument for at least separating
> that.

This has been a long source of tension between moreutils' author and the
debian packager (probably fedora and other distros too). I don't know off
the top of my head what solution those distros have come up with for the
name conflict but they may be doing something worth investigating and
imitating.

I have made frequent use of mispipe and ts, and would probably use other
pieces of moreutils if I remembered them better, so I'd use and appreciate
a cygwin package of them - assuming a solution is found to the potential
name conflict.

* Re: [ITP] moreutils 0.61
@ 2017-11-16 15:08       ` Adam Dinwoodie
                           ` (3 more replies)
From: Adam Dinwoodie @ 2017-11-16 15:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On Wednesday 15 November 2017 at 08:52 pm +0000, Tony Kelman wrote:

> >> I'd be hesitatnt to package that since it directly clashes with GNU
> >> parallel (not available on Cygwin yet).
> >
> > Hmm.  I wasn't aware of GNU parallel, and I'm not sure how that sort of
> > problem is generally handled.  Possibly that could be broken out into a
> > separate package to make it easier for folk to install one or the other?
> > I considered and decided against breaking the entire lot into separate
> > packages, but this is perhaps a good argument for at least separating
> > that.
>
> This has been a long source of tension between moreutils' author and the
> debian packager (probably fedora and other distros too). I don't know off
> the top of my head what solution those distros have come up with for the
> name conflict but they may be doing something worth investigating and
> imitating.
>
> I have made frequent use of mispipe and ts, and would probably use other
> pieces of moreutils if I remembered them better, so I'd use and appreciate
> a cygwin package of them - assuming a solution is found to the potential
> name conflict.

It looks like both OS X's Homebrew and Debian's Apt deal with this by
just having the packages conflict.  Homebrew definitely warns about the
conflicts, when it sees you trying to install both packages, and I would
assume Apt does too.

I'm guessing setup-*.exe doesn't have the ability to detect and handle
this sort of conflict, but I can see a bunch of alternative options:

-   Do nothing for now and deal with the problem as and when someone
    ITPs GNU parallel.

-   Add detection for this sort of conflict somehow, and refuse to allow
    users to install conflicting packages.

-   Document the conflict in release announcements but otherwise do
    nothing, and allow the packages to overwrite each other if both are
    installed.

-   Rename moreutils parallel (e.g. `mparallel`) so it doesn't conflict.

-   As and when GNU parallel is packaged, rename it (e.g. `gparallel`)
    so it doesn't conflict.

-   Just refuse to package one or the other for Cygwin.

I'm leaning towards either doing nothing and leaving it as a problem for
the future, or renaming moreutils parallel now, but I'd be very
interested in the list's opinion.

* Re: [ITP] moreutils 0.61
@ 2017-11-16 15:42         ` Marco Atzeri
                           ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2017-11-16 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On 16/11/2017 16:08, Adam Dinwoodie wrote:

> -   Do nothing for now and deal with the problem as and when someone
>      ITPs GNU parallel.

last time I looked on building GNU parallel for cygwin
I was not impressed, so an ITP seems to me unlikely

Regards
Marco

* Re: [ITP] moreutils 0.61
@ 2017-11-16 16:34         ` David Stacey
From: David Stacey @ 2017-11-16 16:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On 16/11/17 15:08, Adam Dinwoodie wrote:
>>> Hmm.  I wasn't aware of GNU parallel, and I'm not sure how that sort of
>>> problem is generally handled.  Possibly that could be broken out into a
>>> separate package to make it easier for folk to install one or the other?
>>> I considered and decided against breaking the entire lot into separate
>>> packages, but this is perhaps a good argument for at least separating
>>> that.
>> This has been a long source of tension between moreutils' author and the
>> debian packager (probably fedora and other distros too). I don't know off
>> the top of my head what solution those distros have come up with for the
>> name conflict but they may be doing something worth investigating and
>> imitating.
>>
>> I have made frequent use of mispipe and ts, and would probably use other
>> pieces of moreutils if I remembered them better, so I'd use and appreciate
>> a cygwin package of them - assuming a solution is found to the potential
>> name conflict.
> It looks like both OS X's Homebrew and Debian's Apt deal with this by
> just having the packages conflict.

Several other distros do likewise: Fedora / CentOS, openSUSE, Slackware,
Ubuntu.
See https://pkgs.org/download//usr/bin/parallel

Dave.

* Re: [ITP] moreutils 0.61
@ 2017-11-16 19:46         ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2017-11-16 19:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Adam Dinwoodie writes:
> I'm guessing setup-*.exe doesn't have the ability to detect and handle
> this sort of conflict, but I can see a bunch of alternative options:

It does not, at least nor currently.

> -   Rename moreutils parallel (e.g. `mparallel`) so it doesn't conflict.

I'd rename it "mup", but that's just me.

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: [ITP] moreutils 0.61
@ 2017-11-16 19:50           ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2017-11-16 19:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Marco Atzeri writes:
> last time I looked on building GNU parallel for cygwin
> I was not impressed, so an ITP seems to me unlikely

It would already be in Cygwin if it didn't need a patch that is unlikely
to be accepted upstream in order to deal with file systems that don't
correctly show the number of hardlinks to each file.  This is used to do
locking in GNU parallel and entirely correct for file systems with POSIX
semantics, but I've had to patch it out for something else in order to
deal with NetApp OnTap volumes.

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: [ITP] moreutils 0.61
@ 2017-11-16 19:53           ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2017-11-16 19:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

David Stacey writes:
>> It looks like both OS X's Homebrew and Debian's Apt deal with this by
>> just having the packages conflict.
>
> Several other distros do likewise: Fedora / CentOS, openSUSE,
> Slackware, Ubuntu.

These all have package managers that will tell you about the conflict
when you try to install the second one of these.  Some even have (at
least in principle) the ability to make the two packages mutually
exclusive.

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: [ITP] moreutils 0.61
@ 2017-11-20 17:19 ` Jon Turney
From: Jon Turney @ 2017-11-20 17:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps; +Cc: Adam Dinwoodie

On 15/11/2017 13:10, Adam Dinwoodie wrote:
> I'm looking to package moreutils, a collection of small Linux utilities.
> It is already included in Debian and Ubuntu (amongst others), and is
> released under GPLv2.
>
> Proposed Cygwin packaging: https://tastycake.net/~adam/cygwin/
No debuginfo package seems to be generated, but otherwise looks good.

I added this to your uploads.

* Re: [ITP] moreutils 0.61
                           ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2017-11-20 17:20         ` Jon Turney
From: Jon Turney @ 2017-11-20 17:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On 16/11/2017 15:08, Adam Dinwoodie wrote:

> I'm guessing setup-*.exe doesn't have the ability to detect and handle
> this sort of conflict, but I can see a bunch of alternative options:
>
> -   Do nothing for now and deal with the problem as and when someone
>      ITPs GNU parallel.
>
> -   Add detection for this sort of conflict somehow, and refuse to allow
>      users to install conflicting packages.

I'm pretty sure already have some undiagnosed conflicts like this
already, so a potential future one isn't any great impairment.

Marking packages as mutually conflicting is perhaps within reach, as
it's something that would be relatively straightforward with
libsolv-based setup.

Automatically detecting such packages is more work, but something that
could also be done.

> -   Document the conflict in release announcements but otherwise do
>      nothing, and allow the packages to overwrite each other if both are
>      installed.
>
> -   Rename moreutils parallel (e.g. `mparallel`) so it doesn't conflict.
>
> -   As and when GNU parallel is packaged, rename it (e.g. `gparallel`)
>      so it doesn't conflict.
>
> -   Just refuse to package one or the other for Cygwin.
>
> I'm leaning towards either doing nothing and leaving it as a problem for
> the future

Yeah, laziness and inertia solve all problems, because if you wait long
enough, the problems go away :)

* Re: [ITP] moreutils 0.61
@ 2017-11-22 14:50   ` Adam Dinwoodie
From: Adam Dinwoodie @ 2017-11-22 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On Monday 20 November 2017 at 05:19 pm +0000, Jon Turney wrote:
> On 15/11/2017 13:10, Adam Dinwoodie wrote:
> >I'm looking to package moreutils, a collection of small Linux utilities.
> >It is already included in Debian and Ubuntu (amongst others), and is
> >released under GPLv2.
> >
> >Proposed Cygwin packaging: https://tastycake.net/~adam/cygwin/
> No debuginfo package seems to be generated, but otherwise looks good.

I was mildly surprised by that, too.  I'm used to cygport just magically
making that work, and I'm not sure where to even begin looking at
resolving the lack of debuginfo.

> I added this to your uploads.

Thanks!  I'll upload shortly.

* Re: [ITP] moreutils 0.61
@ 2017-11-22 15:08     ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2017-11-22 15:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Adam Dinwoodie writes:
>> No debuginfo package seems to be generated, but otherwise looks good.
>
> I was mildly surprised by that, too.  I'm used to cygport just magically
> making that work, and I'm not sure where to even begin looking at
> resolving the lack of debuginfo.

You'll usually find something that overrides the make variables that
cygport uses for telling the compiler to produce these.

Regards,
Achim.