public inbox for cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
* calm hint files
@ 2022-12-23  9:00 Thomas Wolff
From: Thomas Wolff @ 2022-12-23  9:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Upload seems to want two hint files, which even have to be different;
one needs a homepage entry, the other must not have one, or an error
will be reported.
Can this please be smoothed out?
Thomas

* Re: calm hint files
@ 2022-12-23 14:21 ` Jon Turney
From: Jon Turney @ 2022-12-23 14:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Wolff, cygwin-apps

On 23/12/2022 09:00, Thomas Wolff via Cygwin-apps wrote:
> Upload seems to want two hint files, which even have to be different;
> one needs a homepage entry, the other must not have one, or an error
> will be reported.

This isn't quite an accurate description: A hint is expected for the
source package (of which there must be exactly one), and for each
install package (of which there must be at least one).

> Can this please be smoothed out?

These things are different because they are different: e.g. It's not
meaningful to attribute a set of run-time dependencies to a source
package, etc.

What's valid, and how they are different should be described correctly
by [1], if you think that's in error, please let me know.

Anyhow, I think the answer to your request must be 'no'.  If you choose
not to use cygport, for reasons I'm not going to enquire about, then
you've chosen to taken on the work of generating a package in the format
we expect, and to keep up with changes in that format.

That said: there is some code run on an upload which tries to be helpful
to people running cygport prior to 0.34.0 (May 2020, when we added hints
for source packages), trying to massage their uploads into an acceptable
form, which seems to have given you some struggles with confusing errors
in the past, so I'll remove that at some stage, since people have had
plenty of time to upgrade...

[1] https://cygwin.com/packaging-hint-files.html