public inbox for cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
* [ATTN MAINTAINER] mintty
@ 2020-06-06 11:31 ASSI
From: ASSI @ 2020-06-06 11:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Could you please excise the version check from mintty, at least for the
Cygwin build?  There is no legitimate reason for sending a ping to
Github on each start of mintty.

Regards,
Achim.

Wavetables for the Terratec KOMPLEXER:

* Re: [ATTN MAINTAINER] mintty
@ 2020-06-06 14:02 ` Thomas Wolff
From: Thomas Wolff @ 2020-06-06 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Am 06.06.2020 um 13:31 schrieb ASSI:
> Could you please excise the version check from mintty, at least for the
> Cygwin build?  There is no legitimate reason for sending a ping to
> Github on each start of mintty.
There is no such ping on each start, it's only done when you open the
Options dialog.
Thomas

* Re: [ATTN MAINTAINER] mintty
@ 2020-06-06 18:43   ` ASSI
From: ASSI @ 2020-06-06 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Thomas Wolff writes:
> There is no such ping on each start, it's only done when you open the
> Options dialog.

I don't want that to happen just because I open the options dialog
either.  So again, please remove it or put it behind a button that
clearly tells the user what is going to happen.

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: [ATTN MAINTAINER] mintty
@ 2020-06-06 19:30     ` Thomas Wolff
From: Thomas Wolff @ 2020-06-06 19:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Am 06.06.2020 um 20:43 schrieb ASSI:
> Thomas Wolff writes:
>> There is no such ping on each start, it's only done when you open the
>> Options dialog.
> I don't want that to happen just because I open the options dialog
> either.  So again, please remove it or put it behind a button that
> clearly tells the user what is going to happen.
The version check can be disabled by setting CheckVersionUpdate=0, is
that sufficient?

* Re: [ATTN MAINTAINER] mintty
@ 2020-06-06 20:09       ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2020-06-06 20:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Thomas Wolff writes:
> Am 06.06.2020 um 20:43 schrieb ASSI:
>> Thomas Wolff writes:
>>> There is no such ping on each start, it's only done when you open the
>>> Options dialog.
>> I don't want that to happen just because I open the options dialog
>> either.  So again, please remove it or put it behind a button that
>> clearly tells the user what is going to happen.
> The version check can be disabled by setting CheckVersionUpdate=0, is
> that sufficient?

If you make that the default, yes.  :-)

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: [ATTN MAINTAINER] mintty
@ 2020-06-06 21:43         ` Thomas Wolff
From: Thomas Wolff @ 2020-06-06 21:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Am 06.06.2020 um 22:09 schrieb Achim Gratz:
> Thomas Wolff writes:
>>> I don't want that to happen just because I open the options dialog
>>> either.  So again, please remove it or put it behind a button that
>>> clearly tells the user what is going to happen.
>> The version check can be disabled by setting CheckVersionUpdate=0, is
>> that sufficient?
> If you make that the default, yes.  :-)
Or I could move the check to the About info box. Other opinions?
Thomas

* Re: [ATTN MAINTAINER] mintty
@ 2020-06-06 21:53         ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2020-06-06 21:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On 2020-06-06 14:09, Achim Gratz wrote:
> Thomas Wolff writes:

>>> I don't want that to happen just because I open the options dialog
>>> either.  So again, please remove it or put it behind a button that
>>> clearly tells the user what is going to happen.

>> The version check can be disabled by setting CheckVersionUpdate=0, is
>> that sufficient?

> If you make that the default, yes.  :-)

I can find no mention of this option or action in any announcement: could you
please ensure that new options added do not change existing behaviour as far as
possible, or are clearly documented in the ANNOUNCEMENT and NEWS as breaking
compatibility, and perhaps add a setting for this option at the bottom of the
Options/Terminal dialogue, for those users who wish to enable it.
I probably blocked it in my firewall on first use, so you might also want to
warn users that they could get a firewall prompt.

[Data in IEC units and prefixes, physical quantities in SI.]

* Re: [ATTN MAINTAINER] mintty
@ 2020-06-06 21:57           ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2020-06-06 21:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On 2020-06-06 15:43, Thomas Wolff wrote:
> Am 06.06.2020 um 22:09 schrieb Achim Gratz:
>> Thomas Wolff writes:
>>> The version check can be disabled by setting CheckVersionUpdate=0, is
>>> that sufficient?
>> If you make that the default, yes.  :-)
> Or I could move the check to the About info box. Other opinions?

Add the Enable update check? checkbox setting in the About info box.

@ 2020-06-06 22:04           ` Thomas Wolff
From: Thomas Wolff @ 2020-06-06 22:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Am 06.06.2020 um 23:53 schrieb Brian Inglis:
> On 2020-06-06 14:09, Achim Gratz wrote:
>> Thomas Wolff writes:
>>> The version check can be disabled by setting CheckVersionUpdate=0, is
>>> that sufficient?
>> If you make that the default, yes.  :-)
> I can find no mention of this option or action in any announcement: could you
> please ensure that new options added do not change existing behaviour as far as
> possible, or are clearly documented in the ANNOUNCEMENT and NEWS as breaking
> compatibility, and perhaps add a setting for this option at the bottom of the
> Options/Terminal dialogue, for those users who wish to enable it.
> I probably blocked it in my firewall on first use, so you might also want to
> warn users that they could get a firewall prompt.

It was listed in the change log of release 2.7.5. It's just an HTTP
request, so I doubt a firewall will speak up.
Anyway, my proposal is to move it to About, which seems to be common
practice now (Firefox, Thunderbird).
Votes welcome.
Thomas

* Re: [ATTN MAINTAINER] mintty
@ 2020-06-07  5:52           ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2020-06-07  5:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Thomas Wolff writes:
>> If you make that the default, yes.  :-)
> Or I could move the check to the About info box. Other opinions?

That is better, yes.  But again, the even better option IMHO is to have
a button on a dedicated dialog page that say "Check online on … for
updates.".  That's what LibreOffice does and they do have a configure
option to remove the whole thing when the application is under control
of the system package manager.  That is exactly the situation on Cygwin:
MinTTY is packaged and the information that Github has a new version is
useless anyway.

Regards,
Achim.

Wavetables for the Waldorf Blofeld:

* Re: [ATTN MAINTAINER] mintty
@ 2020-06-07  8:33             ` Thomas Wolff
From: Thomas Wolff @ 2020-06-07  8:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Am 07.06.2020 um 07:52 schrieb Achim Gratz:
> Thomas Wolff writes:
>>> If you make that the default, yes.  :-)
>> Or I could move the check to the About info box. Other opinions?
> That is better, yes.  But again, the even better option IMHO is to have
> a button on a dedicated dialog page that say "Check online on … for
> updates.".  That's what LibreOffice does and they do have a configure
> option to remove the whole thing when the application is under control
> of the system package manager.  That is exactly the situation on Cygwin:
> MinTTY is packaged and the information that Github has a new version is
> useless anyway.
OK, I'm going the easy way and just change the default CheckVersionUpdate=0.
As the current notification (in the Options dialog title) is
asynchronous (in order not to ever delay mintty by this) and
asynchronous modification of a MessageBox (as used for the About info)
is not possible in Windows, moving it there would have become very
tricky anyway.
Thomas