public inbox for cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
* [RFC] Remove pdftk and gcc-java
@ 2016-07-15  7:23 Yaakov Selkowitz
       [not found] ` <d23021fe-90be-93fb-f677-ea760608b4b5@acm.org>
From: Yaakov Selkowitz @ 2016-07-15  7:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

GCJ is practically dead these days, and it has been completely dropped
from Fedora.  For that reason I didn't bother porting gcc-java to x86_64
after seeing that work would be required to do so.

The one package in the distro which still required GCJ -- namely, pdftk
-- actually has licensing issues:

https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/legal/2011-June/001656.html
https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/devel/2014-March/196371.html

With the recent addition of qpdf for both arches (thanks, Marco!), I
would like to remove pdftk from the distro, and gcc-java from gcc in the
next build.  Any objections?

--
Yaakov Selkowitz

* Re: [RFC] Remove pdftk and gcc-java
@ 2016-07-15  8:51 ` Marco Atzeri
       [not found] ` <d23021fe-90be-93fb-f677-ea760608b4b5@acm.org>
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2016-07-15  8:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On 15/07/2016 09:23, Yaakov Selkowitz wrote:
> GCJ is practically dead these days, and it has been completely dropped
> from Fedora.  For that reason I didn't bother porting gcc-java to x86_64
> after seeing that work would be required to do so.
>
> The one package in the distro which still required GCJ -- namely, pdftk
> -- actually has licensing issues:
>
> https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/legal/2011-June/001656.html
> https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/devel/2014-March/196371.html
>
> With the recent addition of qpdf for both arches (thanks, Marco!), I
> would like to remove pdftk from the distro, and gcc-java from gcc in the
> next build.  Any objections?

fine for me.

Regards
Marco

@ 2016-08-12 18:25   ` Yaakov Selkowitz
From: Yaakov Selkowitz @ 2016-08-12 18:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On 2016-07-15 12:13, David Rothenberger wrote:
> Yaakov Selkowitz wrote:
>> With the recent addition of qpdf for both arches (thanks, Marco!), I
>> would like to remove pdftk from the distro, and gcc-java from gcc in the
>> next build.  Any objections?
>
> Fine with me.

pdftk has been removed from the distro.

Jon, whenever you next build gcc anyway, please disable java.  The
necessary changes should be available here:

https://github.com/cygwinports/gcc

--
Yaakov