public inbox for cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
* [ITP] cloudabi-toolchain, cloudab-binutils-*
@ 2016-03-29 19:53 Maurice Bos
From: Maurice Bos @ 2016-03-29 19:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Hi,

I'd like to contribute a few packages to Cygwin:

A cross compiler and the required binutils to compile software for
CloudABI using Cygwin. (See http://nuxi.nl/cloudabi )

cloudabi-toolchain
cloudabi-binutils-aarch64
cloudabi-binutils-x86_64

Clang already has built-in support for CloudABI, so the toolchain
package consists only of dependencies and a few symlinks to Clang.
(Clang reacts to being invoked through symlinks with these exact
names.)

Concept packages are available here:

https://box.m-ou.se/pub/cloudabi-cygwin/

Thanks.

Kind regards,
Maurice Bos

* Re: [ITP] cloudabi-toolchain, cloudab-binutils-*
@ 2016-03-29 20:01 ` Maurice Bos
From: Maurice Bos @ 2016-03-29 20:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

The setup.hint files:

category: Devel
requires:  clang cloudabi-binutils-aarch64 cloudabi-binutils-x86_64
sdesc: "Toolchain targetting CloudABI"
ldesc: "Toolchain targetting CloudABI"

category: Devel
requires: cygwin
sdesc: "Binutils targetting aarch64 CloudABI"
ldesc: "Binutils targetting aarch64 CloudABI"

category: Devel
requires: cygwin
sdesc: "Binutils targetting x86_64 CloudABI"
ldesc: "Binutils targetting x86_64 CloudABI"

@ 2016-03-29 20:28   ` Warren Young
From: Warren Young @ 2016-03-29 20:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On Mar 29, 2016, at 12:35 PM, Maurice Bos <m-ou.se@m-ou.se> wrote:

> The setup.hint files:
>
> category: Devel
> requires:  clang cloudabi-binutils-aarch64 cloudabi-binutils-x86_64
> sdesc: "Toolchain targetting CloudABI"
> ldesc: "Toolchain targetting CloudABI”

Why does this package depend on both architecture-specific packages?  What if I only want to develop for x86_64, for example?

> category: Devel
> requires: cygwin
> sdesc: "Binutils targetting aarch64 CloudABI"
> ldesc: "Binutils targetting aarch64 CloudABI”

I believe the need for an explicit dependency on cygwin was removed many years ago.  A blank “requires” line is perfectly legal.

(If I’m right about this, I believe Mr. Bos got this idea from the current setup.html page which still shows such examples.)

> sdesc: "Binutils targetting x86_64 CloudABI”

That’s an obsolete spelling of “targeting”.

* Re: [ITP] cloudabi-toolchain, cloudab-binutils-*
@ 2016-03-30 12:52     ` Maurice Bos
From: Maurice Bos @ 2016-03-30 12:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

> On Mar 29, 2016, at 12:35 PM, Maurice Bos <m-ou.se@m-ou.se> wrote:
>>
>> The setup.hint files:
>>
>> category: Devel
>> requires:  clang cloudabi-binutils-aarch64 cloudabi-binutils-x86_64
>> sdesc: "Toolchain targetting CloudABI"
>> ldesc: "Toolchain targetting CloudABI”
>
> Why does this package depend on both architecture-specific packages?  What if I only want to develop for x86_64, for example?

This is also how these packages are packaged for FreeBSD and Arch
Linux. But I can split them, I don't care much.

>> category: Devel
>> requires: cygwin
>> sdesc: "Binutils targetting aarch64 CloudABI"
>> ldesc: "Binutils targetting aarch64 CloudABI”
>
> I believe the need for an explicit dependency on cygwin was removed many years ago.  A blank “requires” line is perfectly legal.
>
> (If I’m right about this, I believe Mr. Bos got this idea from the current setup.html page which still shows such examples.)

I used cygport to generate the packages. It did this automatically, it seems.

>> sdesc: "Binutils targetting x86_64 CloudABI”
>
> That’s an obsolete spelling of “targeting”.

Thanks, updated.

* Re: [ITP] cloudabi-toolchain, cloudab-binutils-*
@ 2016-03-30 13:26       ` Jon Turney
From: Jon Turney @ 2016-03-30 13:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On 29/03/2016 21:01, Maurice Bos wrote:
>> On Mar 29, 2016, at 12:35 PM, Maurice Bos wrote:
>>> category: Devel
>>> requires: cygwin
>>> sdesc: "Binutils targetting aarch64 CloudABI"
>>> ldesc: "Binutils targetting aarch64 CloudABI”
>>
>> I believe the need for an explicit dependency on cygwin was removed many years ago.  A blank “requires” line is perfectly legal.
>>
>> (If I’m right about this, I believe Mr. Bos got this idea from the current setup.html page which still shows such examples.)
>
> I used cygport to generate the packages. It did this automatically, it seems.

You are correct that historically, the cygwin dependency was specially
removed by cygport, and then specially added back (for everything) by upset.

This has been rationalized, so that cygport now adds a cygwin dependency
for packages which contain executables which require the cygwin DLL (in
exactly the same way it treats every other executable dependency...), so
this requires: is correct.

Existing packages have been retroactively fixed.

I don't think there's anything that documents the previous behaviour to
update, which was, I believe, for historical reasons to do with correct
post-install dependency ordering, or some such.

* Re: [ITP] cloudabi-toolchain, cloudab-binutils-*
@ 2016-04-21 12:12   ` Maurice Bos
From: Maurice Bos @ 2016-04-21 12:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Hello,

Is there anything I can/should do to push this forward?

Thanks.

-Maurice-

@ 2016-04-21 16:30     ` Tony Kelman
From: Tony Kelman @ 2016-04-21 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Maurice Bos <m-ou.se@...> writes:

> Hello,
>
> Is there anything I can/should do to push this forward?
>
> Thanks.
>
> -Maurice-

Is this packaged in any mainstream linux distributions?
How long does it take to build from source, could you
give build from source instructions to potential users?
AFAIK the only packaged cross compiler in cygwin right
now is for the mingw-w64 hosts.

-Tony