public inbox for cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
* [HEADSUP] Perl update to 5.22.0
@ 2015-07-31 19:13 Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2015-07-31 19:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

I hope I gathered all responses correctly, please comment if I've got
anything wrong.

Jari and Volker are out on vacation or other business.  Yaakov commented
we shouldn't hold the release for ming and I've just looked up Jari's
packages and they don't contain XS modules, so if anybody needs those
before Jari updates them we can advise users to just copy from the 5.14
into the 5.22 tree as a stopgap measure.

Mark O'Keefe hasn't responded so far.  If anybody complains about amanda
not working, Marco has offered to rebuild the package on his behalf
since amanda makes copious use of XS modules.

Everybody else, including myself (but with the possible exception of
Yaakov) has marked their release areas with !perl cookies.

So it looks like we're ready to go when Yaakov is.  Corinna has offered
to trigger the release by moving the !perl cookies to !ready ones, but
is not available before Monday.  If somebody else wants to do this,
please speak up.  I guess at least myself and Yaakov should be online
while the update is being processed due to the sheer number of packages
and the resulting potential for hiccups (although I really hope there
won't be any).  Let me know if we can find some time over the weekend,
otherwise we'll have to arrange for something like Monday evening MET.

Regards,
Achim.

Wavetables for the Waldorf Blofeld:

* Re: [HEADSUP] Perl update to 5.22.0
@ 2015-07-31 19:26 ` Yaakov Selkowitz
From: Yaakov Selkowitz @ 2015-07-31 19:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On Fri, 2015-07-31 at 21:13 +0200, Achim Gratz wrote:
> Jari and Volker are out on vacation or other business.  Yaakov commented
> we shouldn't hold the release for ming and I've just looked up Jari's
> packages and they don't contain XS modules, so if anybody needs those
> before Jari updates them we can advise users to just copy from the 5.14
> into the 5.22 tree as a stopgap measure.

Ack.

> Mark O'Keefe hasn't responded so far.  If anybody complains about amanda
> not working, Marco has offered to rebuild the package on his behalf
> since amanda makes copious use of XS modules.

AFAICS we can consider amanda ORPHANED.

> So it looks like we're ready to go when Yaakov is.  Corinna has offered
> to trigger the release by moving the !perl cookies to !ready ones, but
> is not available before Monday.  If somebody else wants to do this,
> please speak up.  I guess at least myself and Yaakov should be online
> while the update is being processed due to the sheer number of packages
> and the resulting potential for hiccups (although I really hope there
> won't be any).  Let me know if we can find some time over the weekend,
> otherwise we'll have to arrange for something like Monday evening MET.

I'm on #cygwin-developers now if you want to coordinate this
immediately.

--
Yaakov

* Re: [HEADSUP] Perl update to 5.22.0
@ 2015-07-31 21:42 ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2015-07-31 21:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

With the invaluable help of Yaakov and John on the server side, the mass
update of all things Perl is now complete.  I would like to thank all
maintainers for helping with re-releases of their packages.  I don't
know if that's my call to make, but I'd like to ask for a round of gold
stars for: John, Yaakov, Adam, David, Marco, Jari, Ken and Andrew (in no
particular order).

@ 2015-07-31 23:02   ` Adam Dinwoodie
From: Adam Dinwoodie @ 2015-07-31 23:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On Fri, Jul 31, 2015 at 11:42:53PM +0200, Achim Gratz wrote:
> With the invaluable help of Yaakov and John on the server side, the mass
> update of all things Perl is now complete.  I would like to thank all
> maintainers for helping with re-releases of their packages.  I don't
> know if that's my call to make, but I'd like to ask for a round of gold
> stars for: John, Yaakov, Adam, David, Marco, Jari, Ken and Andrew (in no
> particular order).

Don't get too keen: I've just realised I didn't change the Git version
number when I packaged it.  I'm repackaging now with a new build number,
so setup-*.exe will pick it up correctly.

Adam

* Re: [HEADSUP] Perl update to 5.22.0
@ 2015-08-01  8:49   ` Marco Atzeri
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2015-08-01  8:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On 7/31/2015 9:26 PM, Yaakov Selkowitz wrote:
> On Fri, 2015-07-31 at 21:13 +0200, Achim Gratz wrote:

>> Mark O'Keefe hasn't responded so far.  If anybody complains about amanda
>> not working, Marco has offered to rebuild the package on his behalf
>> since amanda makes copious use of XS modules.
>
> AFAICS we can consider amanda ORPHANED.

I suggest to ORPHANED and later remove it.

If someone complain I have the new version ready,
but in general I don't see a big potential usage
for a sophisticated backup system on cygwin.
And no one except O'Keefe mentioned it in the last years,
at least in our mailing lists.

> Yaakov

Marco

* Re: [HEADSUP] Perl update to 5.22.0
@ 2015-08-01  9:02     ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2015-08-01  9:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Marco Atzeri writes:
>> AFAICS we can consider amanda ORPHANED.
>
> I suggest to ORPHANED and later remove it.

+1

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: [HEADSUP] Perl update to 5.22.0
@ 2015-08-01 11:45   ` Andrew Schulman
From: Andrew Schulman @ 2015-08-01 11:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

> With the invaluable help of Yaakov and John on the server side, the mass
> update of all things Perl is now complete.  I would like to thank all
> maintainers for helping with re-releases of their packages.  I don't
> know if that's my call to make, but I'd like to ask for a round of gold
> stars for: John, Yaakov, Adam, David, Marco, Jari, Ken and Andrew (in no
> particular order).

Awarded! http://cygwin.com/goldstars

Except for John. Sorry, John who?

* Re: [HEADSUP] Perl update to 5.22.0
@ 2015-08-01 11:59     ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2015-08-01 11:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Andrew Schulman writes:
> Except for John. Sorry, John who?

John Turney.

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: [HEADSUP] Perl update to 5.22.0
@ 2015-08-01 12:00       ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2015-08-01 12:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Achim Gratz writes:
> Andrew Schulman writes:
>> Except for John. Sorry, John who?
>
> John Turney.

Oh, sorry.  That's Jon Turney of course.

Regards,
Achim.

Samples for the Waldorf Blofeld:

* Re: [HEADSUP] Perl update to 5.22.0
@ 2015-08-01 12:07         ` Andrew Schulman
From: Andrew Schulman @ 2015-08-01 12:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

> Achim Gratz writes:
> > Andrew Schulman writes:
> >> Except for John. Sorry, John who?
> >
> > John Turney.
>
> Oh, sorry.  That's Jon Turney of course.

Awarded!