public inbox for cygwin-licensing@cygwin.com
From: Marvin <tbglosthope@yahoo.co.uk>
To: cygwin-licensing@cygwin.com
Subject: Where are the licence texts for each package?
Date: Thu, 07 Aug 2008 15:08:00 -0000	[thread overview]

Is there any definitive way to view precisely what licenses Cygwin and it's packages are shipped under?

To be allowed to download/use Cygwin at work we need to be able to present the license(s) to our legal team.
The licensing page is too vague for them :
"Most of the tools are covered by the GNU GPL, some are public domain, and others have a X11 style copyright."

Specifically is there any official clarification of the "X11 style copyright"?   The link from http://x.cygwin.com/docs/faq/cygwin-x-faq.html#q-what-licenses-apply
is broken.

It would be really helpful if there was a link to the license(s) next to the download links, and if there was a page listing every package with a link to that packages license.

I know this seems like a silly question, I know all the licences would allow us to use cygwin for what we want, we're not planning to view its source or build anything with it or redistribute any part of it, but we still need to be able to show our lawyers the licenses. We don't need comercial support and am happy to be bound by the normal licenses.

Thanks for any help.

Not happy with your email address?.