public inbox for cygwin-talk@cygwin.com
* --add-stdcall-alias equivalent for Visual-C++ ?
@ 2008-05-31 17:57 Jim Kleckner
From: Jim Kleckner @ 2008-05-31 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-talk

An off-topic request:

The --add-stdcall-alias argument to ld exports symbols as both
"decorated" (with leading _ and trailing @nn) and "undecorated".

Anyone know of the easiest way to get VC++ to do this?
Yes, a manual exports .def file can be created (or semi-automated).

But it is so nice that ld does this which is needed for Excel or other
DLL-consuming Windoze programs.

* Re: --add-stdcall-alias equivalent for Visual-C++ ?
@ 2008-05-31 20:12 ` Jim Kleckner
From: Jim Kleckner @ 2008-05-31 20:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Vulgar and Unprofessional Cygwin-Talk List

Jim Kleckner wrote:
> An off-topic request:
>
> The --add-stdcall-alias argument to ld exports symbols as both
> "decorated" (with leading _ and trailing @nn) and "undecorated".
>
> Anyone know of the easiest way to get VC++ to do this?
> Yes, a manual exports .def file can be created (or semi-automated).
>
> But it is so nice that ld does this which is needed for Excel or other
> DLL-consuming Windoze programs.

FYI, after searching and trying lots of hacks, I came up with
including a "pragma comment" as the easiest way to manage
this requirement.  Microsoft doesn't appear to want to make
this easy the way gcc/ld does.

Something like:

#pragma comment(linker, "/EXPORT:func1=_func1@4")

* Re: --add-stdcall-alias equivalent for Visual-C++ ?
@ 2008-06-19 20:10   ` Robert Pendell
From: Robert Pendell @ 2008-06-19 20:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-talk

* RE: --add-stdcall-alias equivalent for Visual-C++ ?
@ 2008-06-20 10:22     ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2008-06-20 10:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'he's a-cruisin' fer a splatting'

Robert Pendell wrote on 19 June 2008 21:10:

> Jim Kleckner wrote:
>> Jim Kleckner wrote:
>>> An off-topic request:
>>>
>>> The --add-stdcall-alias argument to ld exports symbols as both
>>> "decorated" (with leading _ and trailing @nn) and "undecorated".
>>>
>>> Anyone know of the easiest way to get VC++ to do this?
>>> Yes, a manual exports .def file can be created (or semi-automated).
>>>
>>> But it is so nice that ld does this which is needed for Excel or other
>>> DLL-consuming Windoze programs.
>>>

>> FYI, after searching and trying lots of hacks, I came up with
>> including a "pragma comment" as the easiest way to manage
>> this requirement.  Microsoft doesn't appear to want to make
>> this easy the way gcc/ld does.
>>
>> Something like:
>>
>> #pragma comment(linker, "/EXPORT:func1=_func1@4")
>>

> Why am I thinking this is off-topic even for the talk list?  This is a
> cygwin list.  Not VC++.  *whistles*

</hands Robert a hippo>

  Go on.  You know what to do.

    cheers,