public inbox for cygwin-talk@cygwin.com
* Turn WinXP Pc into *nix File Server
@ 2006-06-16 16:08 zzapper
From: zzapper @ 2006-06-16 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-talk

Hi,
I have an older Windows XP PC with a 12GB HardDisk which I would like to
transform into a simple file server. Can you recommend a *nix distribution
or whatever to achieve this w/o too much heartbreak.
zzapper

--
http://successtheory.com/tips/ Vim, Zsh, MySQL Tips

* Re: Turn WinXP Pc into *nix File Server
@ 2006-06-16 16:15 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2006-06-16 16:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Cygwin-Talk Maiming List

On Fri, Jun 16, 2006 at 04:07:47PM +0000, zzapper wrote:
>I have an older Windows XP PC with a 12GB HardDisk which I would like to
>transform into a simple file server. Can you recommend a *nix distribution
>or whatever to achieve this w/o too much heartbreak.

I've always liked Knoppix.

cgf

* RE: Turn WinXP Pc into *nix File Server
@ 2006-06-16 16:21 ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2006-06-16 16:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: '... and he never phones, either ...'

On 16 June 2006 17:08, zzapper wrote:

> Hi,
> I have an older Windows XP PC with a 12GB HardDisk which I would like to
> transform into a simple file server. Can you recommend a *nix distribution
> or whatever to achieve this w/o too much heartbreak.

  How about 'any live CD' - that lets you try them out without any commitment.

  Mind you, I know a lot of people who say that lack of commitment /causes/
heartbreak, not avoids it.

    cheers,
      DaveK