public inbox for cygwin-talk@cygwin.com
* RE: console question
       [not found] <d62889820605170835g622dc04dgfa704e129e8ff961@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2006-05-17 18:03 ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2006-05-17 18:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thread TITTTL'd!

On 17 May 2006 16:36, Jeff Lange wrote:

> Although it seems like a waste, I need it to look exactly like a dumb
> terminal

  Ah, then you want to stick a punched-paper-tape reader on the side of the
housing, that'll make the illusion convincing!

    cheers,
      DaveK

* RE: console question
@ 2006-05-18  8:39   ` Owen Rees
From: Owen Rees @ 2006-05-18  8:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Cygwin-Talk Maiming List

--On 17 May 2006 19:03 +0100 Dave Korn wrote:

> On 17 May 2006 16:36, Jeff Lange wrote:
>
>> Although it seems like a waste, I need it to look exactly like a dumb
>> terminal
>
>   Ah, then you want to stick a punched-paper-tape reader on the side of
> the housing, that'll make the illusion convincing!

If you are thinking of <http://www.columbia.edu/acis/history/teletype.jpg>
then it should have a paper tape punch as well and it should be 80x(how
long is a roll of paper?) and go 'ding' when printing past column 72. It
should also be UPPER CASE ONLY. IT SHOULD ALSO MAKE A NASTY SMUDGE OF THE
NEXT CHARACTER IF YOU SEND <LF><CR> RATHER THAN <CR><LF> AFTER PRINTING A
MODERATELY LONG LINE.

I suspect that the real desire is for something more like
<http://www.tentacle.franken.de/adm3a/> but in that case IT SHOULD ALSO BE
UPPER CASE ONLY AND IT SHOULD BE 80X24 NOT 80X25.

If letting people use lower case is to be permitted, then perhaps
<http://www.columbia.edu/acis/history/vt100.html> is more like it. It
should still be 80x24 rather than 80x25 (unless you select 132x14 mode).

--
Owen Rees
Hewlett Packard Laboratories, Bristol, UK

* Re: console question
       [not found]         ` <Pine.NEB.4.64.0605181745460.19964@andromeda.ziaspace.com>
@ 2006-05-18 19:06           ` mwoehlke
From: mwoehlke @ 2006-05-18 19:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-talk

Ack, http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#TOFU reformatted. Also PCYMTNQREAIYR.
(For the record, I am not /technically/ guilty of that; my mailer quotes
the name, which in "clayne"s case, *is* an e-mail address.

Also taking my own advice and TITTTLing.

Hammond, Robin-David%KB3IEN wrote:
>  On Thu, 18 May 2006, mwoehlke wrote:
>> clayne -at- anodized.com wrote:
>>> Do you use a 640x480 screen? Full screen for a console sounds like a
>>> grand
>>> waste of field of vision.
>>
>> Eh, I *love* my full-screen consoles... sooo much text you can see at
>> once! Of course, I also have no fewer than... um... four ;) monitors
>> here.
>
> I find a full screen console for each monitor is the way to go. the
> program 'screen' is a better way to juggle multiple windows than any
> graphics window manager in my experience, Mac OS X has nice
> transparencies, but it doesn't interoperate with X11 very well (at all
> AFAIK).

Personally, I am very happy with Konsole run full-screen for juggling
sessions. The tab bar with *names* is a nice way to keep track of what
you have going, and I get 197x71 with the only "frills" being the menu
bar (which I could get rid of if I wasn't worried about finding it
again), a very useful scroll bar, and the aforementioned session tab
bar. Of course, it doesn't let me "detach" remote sessions, but I can
live with that if I can see my sessions at a glance and don't have to
learn the keys for 'screen' :-).

--
Matthew
Hey, buddy, if it's OT, TITTTL!